Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Must be a new requirement as i have been asked for a note today as my dd was off sick for 2 days last wk! Said it will go down as unauthorized otherwise?
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinkjojo View Post
Can you ring your doctor and ask receptionist if they'll issue a sick note? You just pick it up and give into school (take a copy of it first though)
No.no.no ! I would refuse to request a sick note on principal..wonder who.thinks up these ridiculous ideas?
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Of course if the schools have an increase in unauthorised absences , it is their problem as it hits them on their next OFSTED inspection ... so they are asking for something a GP will refuse to provide . If I still had a child at school I'd be self certifying up to 5 days and informed them that as that was the process for their employees then it's fair to hold students to the same process. It's ridiculous. Any absences listed as unauthorised as a result of this I'd be appealing and also involving the media as its age discrimination as well as a gross misuse of NHSresources .
If all parents did this schools would soon amend their policies as it'd simply be too time consuming to administrate.

Edited at 12:16 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Believe me if they put my dd down as unauthorized i will hit the roof.
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
Must be a new requirement as i have been asked for a note today as my dd was off sick for 2 days last wk! Said it will go down as unauthorized otherwise?
Are they asking for a Doctor's note or just a note from you for the records as I assume you just phoned in on the days she was absent? If schools are seriously expecting children to be taken to the doctor for every minor illness that keeps them off school for a few days, bureaucracy ha gone completely mad! The last thing the NHS needs is more unnecessary GP visits.
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

From gov.uk:

Schools should advise parents to notify them on the first day the child is unable to attend due to illness. Schools should authorise absences due to illness unless they have genuine cause for concern about the veracity of an illness. If the authenticity of illness is in doubt, schools can request parents to provide medical evidence to support illness.

Schools can record the absence as unauthorised if not satisfied of the authenticity of the illness but should advise parents of their intention. Schools are advised not to request medical evidence unnecessarily.

Medical evidence can take the form of prescriptions, appointment cards, etc. rather than doctors’ notes

Edited at 03:13 AM.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Plato View Post
From gov.uk:

Schools should advise parents to notify them on the first day the child is unable to attend due to illness. Schools should authorise absences due to illness unless they have genuine cause for concern about the veracity of an illness. If the authenticity of illness is in doubt, schools can request parents to provide medical evidence to support illness.

Schools can record the absence as unauthorised if not satisfied of the authenticity of the illness but should advise parents of their intention. Schools are advised not to request medical evidence unnecessarily.

Medical evidence can take the form of prescriptions, appointment cards, etc. rather than doctors’ notes
This is all very well but for most common illnesses they do not need to see a doctor or get any medication so no way to prove it. Things like norovirus or flu you are meant to treat at home as per medical advice.

Ds is back at school now thanks for the get well wishes - though he's still not feeling great just have to wait and see if I hear anything else about now
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Are they asking for a Doctor's note or just a note from you for the records as I assume you just phoned in on the days she was absent? If schools are seriously expecting children to be taken to the doctor for every minor illness that keeps them off school for a few days, bureaucracy ha gone completely mad! The last thing the NHS needs is more unnecessary GP visits.

A doctors note yes despite me calling in both mornings. She had a high temp and sore throat / going hot and cold etc cant expect a doctor to give me a note for that!
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
A doctors note yes despite me calling in both mornings. She had a high temp and sore throat / going hot and cold etc cant expect a doctor to give me a note for that!
My DDs college asked for the same, despite the early phone calls notifying them. She now has 3 unauthorised absences, having never had any at her previous school. She and I are really annoyed as we cannot see any way of changing these as we were not aware they would be unauthorised when she was ill. I hope this won't affect her university applications soon.

However, if she is ill, I will not send her in. She has 96% attendance and only has a rare day off if she is genuinely sick. I refuse to allow the college to put pressure on and make a student who is ill go in just to keep the college's attendance figures up. My DDs grades are, and always have been, very high. I do not think that sending her in when she is ill will have any benefit to her work, in fact I think it will be the opposite effect.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List