Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 22, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Its shocking,I would homeschool but their needs mean that this isnt possible,the pandemic showed us that.Also if this new bill comes into being,homeschooling with ehcp would mean me registering as a school😯
They will make you register, wonder if they will offer any ‘school’ funding. Bet not.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I wonder how long it will take before it becomes law?
Old 21 Jun 22, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I wonder how long it will take before it becomes law?
I read they are apparently aiming for september 2023 .
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
They will make you register, wonder if they will offer any ‘school’ funding. Bet not.
😄 definately not!
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
I read they are apparently aiming for september 2023 .
Best get all our holidays out of our system next school year then!
Old 21 Jun 22, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Power and money. Always seems to come down to that.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Power and money. Always seems to come down to that.
I also thought that ... power, sex or money!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
I find it all rather rich considering my daughter is nearly 8 and hasn’t yet had a full year at school without disruption or it being closed to her for months on end.

I am saying this as a former teacher; I know it is disruptive if a child misses time at school and the rule should be applied across the board for the safety of children. However, as a parent, I will decide if and when to take my child out of school for a short amount of time. I carefully weigh up the pros and cons of her missing school. I will pay the fine in the future but it won’t deter me.

For us it isn’t about just cost, but to do with the fact that my DH can simply not always take time off during the school holidays.
Old 21 Jun 22, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneySarah View Post
I find it all rather rich considering my daughter is nearly 8 and hasn’t yet had a full year at school without disruption or it being closed to her for months on end.

I am saying this as a former teacher; I know it is disruptive if a child misses time at school and the rule should be applied across the board for the safety of children. However, as a parent, I will decide if and when to take my child out of school for a short amount of time. I carefully weigh up the pros and cons of her missing school. I will pay the fine in the future but it won’t deter me.

For us it isn’t about just cost, but to do with the fact that my DH can simply not always take time off during the school holidays.
Exactly this...of course political leaders can take time off during school holidays and can afford too...another example of being completely out of touch
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I remember been fascinated at Wakes weeks when I worked in travel as we didn’t have them in the south east but some of the more northern branches did.
The biggest disadvantage of them seemed to be the likelihood you’d end up on the same holiday as your colleagues and neighbours
Pre fines my son’s school added a week onto Whitsun as so many parents took Whitsun and then the following week that classes were half empty and we broke up a week later in July.
Worked well for years until two parents complained they didn’t like it as they had kids at other schools too and the LEA made the school go back in line. Those parents were not popular.

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I don’t really think it is the families who take their children out of school on odd occasions that are the issue. They are just an easy target who will pay the fines.

There are families who take their children out for several weeks at a time and hopefully this will be clamped down on.

I agree, that with the holiday companies it is supply and demand and there is little can be done to force companies to charge less. I do think schools could be more helpful with the setting of holidays. Our primary school had 2 weeks at May and October and a shorter summer. It was great for organising holidays. High school just had 1 week for each and added all the inset days to Christmas. Sometimes that one day before or after would have made all the difference to prices and availability of holidays for parents and staff. A local school here gives all the inset days in mid June giving staff and pupils the opportunity for a cheaper week.

When I was at school ( long time ago) we had Wakes weeks. All the local towns had their own two weeks and a shorter summer. It spread the holidays right from the end of May to mid September.

I think the easy answer is to fine parents. Lots of other possibilities should also be looked at too.

Sickness does also need to be looked at. Husband and I always worked and had no family to help. Son and daughter knew they could only stay off if they genuinely couldn’t go to school and this was extremely rare. My friend, stay at home mum, her children were always off with the slightest sniffle. The schools will be aware of genuine illness and the ones who are off all the time for odd days here and there. Sickness has to be taken into account in some way otherwise parents will just ring in sick for them.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List