Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Nov 09, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
$ tumble?

After the news about possible second economic crash due to recent events in Dubai and several of our banks dropping 5 and 6% in the markets how likely is it that we will see our sterling drop further?

I see from up top of this planning section we have dropped a little but is it likely to be a knee-jerk reaction and hopefully we will see it steadily rise back a bit?

Hopefully its not like last time around where rates dropped to $1.35 or thereabouts.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post

The Dubai thing is world wide - it effected all the major share markets, including France & Germany.

The rate hasn't tumbled today - it lost a bit earlier - but most seem on the up now.

However, if I was an expert on this, I wouldn't be doing what I do for a living, I'd be a very rich man!

I was happy with my 1.622 the other day...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I have been watching closely all week and wish i had topped up my card last week when it hit $1.66! Was wishing it was going to last untill the end of the month. Hopefully it won't drop too much more!
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

As UAE currency is tied to the $ I would be very suprised if it didnt plunge if/when things in Duabi get worse which is expected in the next few days according to BBC news. I have just ordered £1k worth of dollars to ensure I have a good rate next month.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
This is what I am wondering.I am thinking of getting the rest of our dollars now(2k worth) whilst at this rate in anticipation of further drops given what I am reading and seeing on news reports.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would say we will know more when the US markets open on Monday but it aint looking good.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I would say we will know more when the US markets open on Monday but it aint looking good.
might have known you'd be the voice of doom
how's tricks?
Old 27 Nov 09, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redriva View Post
might have known you'd be the voice of doom
how's tricks?
Gee thanks for your warm welcome back

I am doing better than the $ will be I can tell you than - and no-one is a glomy about it as me; have a special holiday coming up which is now going to cost me more ££££ thanks to Dubai

Hope you are OK BTW x
Old 27 Nov 09, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Therealpommie
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
As UAE currency is tied to the $ I would be very suprised if it didnt plunge if/when things in Duabi get worse which is expected in the next few days according to BBC news. I have just ordered £1k worth of dollars to ensure I have a good rate next month.
If UAE is tied to the $ would it not be the dollar that tumbles and not sterling, thus we should get a better rate
Therealpommie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 09, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Therealpommie View Post
If UAE is tied to the $ would it not be the dollar that tumbles and not sterling, thus we should get a better rate
Thats how I see it... we will see... Lilys Mum only got 1.57 today... I got 1.622 on Wed.

Never followed the currency markets like this before!
Closed Thread