Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 8 Oct 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

What's the best musical you've seen?

What's the best musical you've seen?

I've seen Lion King, Wicked and Shrek with my kids but planning a trip with my mum and sister. Considering Les Miserables or Mama Mia but no idea what they're like.
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I love musicals. I really enjoyed Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia. Seeing Beauty and the Beast tomorrow. Mamma Mia is fun and lively and you know all the songs. I probably just like light and easy listening!

I know everyone but me loves Les Miserables. I hated it. It was 4 hours of my life I’ll never get back ( sorry to all the fans !)
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Lost count of how many musicals I've seen and I can't choose just one but my top ones are Blood Brothers, Bat Out of Hell, Wicked and Calendar Girls.

The only ones I didn't really like are Les Miserables and strangely Lion King

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
Lost count of how many musicals I've seen and I can't choose just one but my top ones are Blood Brothers, Bat Out of Hell, Wicked and Calendar Girls.

The only ones I didn't really like are Les Miserables and strangely Lion King
Not just me then !
I have just booked to see Blood Brothers for February. I have seen it before but not for a long time. It’s great to have things booked again !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jolou
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I love musicals. I really enjoyed Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia. Seeing Beauty and the Beast tomorrow. Mamma Mia is fun and lively and you know all the songs. I probably just like light and easy listening!

I know everyone but me loves Les Miserables. I hated it. It was 4 hours of my life I’ll never get back ( sorry to all the fans !)
So glad i’m not the only one! I stood in the bar in the interval wishing I didn’t have to go back in and I love musicals! Favourite of all time West Side Story but obvs not on now! Mamma Mia really good fun. Hard not to enjoy that really.
jolou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jolou
slightly serious Dibber

Can’t wait for revivals of Cabaret, Carousel, Chicago, West Side Story, Kinky Boots, Evita……..heaven! Would love to be able to see the Hairspray that’s on now….fabulous songs. And Hamilton….amazing! I won’t go on all day but I could 🙂
jolou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post

No... I hate Les Miserables too! With a passion!
Old 9 Oct 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
FSnug
Very Serious Dibber

Jesus Christ Superstar from the original at the Palace Theatre as a mid teenager, through revivals (tribune seats on stage 23 years ago was phenomenal) and arena. I also rate The Rink in west end many years ago and Southwark Playhouse a couple of years ago. Have a soft spot for Phantom, love Miss Saigon and original Evita. Les Mis is up there too seen several times. I was one of few who enjoyed Stephen Ward though the most unusual subject. Original production Cats was so different when it launched, and Starlight Express at Apollo Victoria stands out in the memory for the daring of the production and performer whizzing around the balconies. Hamilton smashed it for style of music versus historical content portrayed and totally works. Looking forward to Cabaret, Moulin Rouge (my favourite film so I hope it won’t disappoint), Cinderella and Into the Woods in the coming months. Lots and lots more seen but by far the worst was Sondheim’s Passion! On at present definitely Come From Away, Dear Evan Hanson, Mamma Mia, Les Mis, Jersey Boys - depends on the interests of your party and age mix to some extent.
... maybe one day?

Edited at 08:33 PM.
FSnug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Originally Posted by FSnug View Post
Jesus Christ Superstar from the original at the Palace Theatre as a mid teenager.
Snap! Me and my friend were at the very first ever showing- a preview - down in the stalls. I must be a little older than you as I’d just started my first job :grin Paul Nicholas was Jesus Christ.

I’ve seen so many musicals over the years and I can’t remember them all. The worst was Time and one of the best was We Will Rock You strangely both in the same theatre.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Janner
Earning More Ears

I feel the same about Les Mis but I can't say it in the musicals forums! It's hard to choose a favourite ever but I've loved Hamilton, Come From Away, Anything Goes and Book of Mormon out of the shows that are currently running.
Janner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List