Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 7 Aug 22, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Does anyone use a bread maker

If so which one do you have, is it any good and how much do you find the ingredients cost for a basic white loaf please.
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I have had a bread maker for over 20 years and wouldn’t be without it. I have a Panasonic, it is one of the more expensive ones but is very versatile. I use supermarket own brand flour which is fine. A kilo bag of white bread flour is about 90p, it’s just gone up, and you would get at least 2 large loaves from that. A tin of dried yeast is about 80p and would last ages. You would need small amounts of sugar, butter and salt. It is definitely cheaper than buying bread and tastes much better, but obviously there is the initial outlay of buying the machine.
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

I also have a Panasonic and find it makes great bread. I use olive oil instead of butter, I don’t notice a difference in taste as I’ve always got olive oil but rarely butter. Brioche is really good too. I’ve had a few fails with it, you can’t make cheese bread with blue cheese and you have to remember to add yeast otherwise you get a brick 😂

ETA, I’ve bought a bread slicer too as I can’t cut straight slices!

Edited at 10:15 PM.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I bought a slicer too
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Another Panasonic owner here. We've got one that dispenses the yeast at the right time. I make a 400g loaf about three times a week and also make fruit breat now and again and pizza dough probably once a fortnight. Bread flour comes from Lidl, around 80p for a 1.5kg bag or almost four loafs. Have tried fresh yeast but much easier with dried. Mrs Jim thought it would be another gadget stuck in a cabinet after a couple of uses, but she's been proved wrong! If it ever stops working it will definately be replaced sooner rather than later. Oh and forgot to add, we dont buy bread anymore and will also use it to make dough for rolls.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Thanks I'll check them out
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Another Panasonic owner here. We've got one that dispenses the yeast at the right time. I make a 400g loaf about three times a week and also make fruit breat now and again and pizza dough probably once a fortnight. Bread flour comes from Lidl, around 80p for a 1.5kg bag or almost four loafs. Have tried fresh yeast but much easier with dried. Mrs Jim thought it would be another gadget stuck in a cabinet after a couple of uses, but she's been proved wrong! If it ever stops working it will definately be replaced sooner rather than later. Oh and forgot to add, we dont buy bread anymore and will also use it to make dough for rolls.
This may be a very dumb question - but can you cook the rolls in the bread maker then, or do you have to put them on a baking tray in main oven?
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 22, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
This may be a very dumb question - but can you cook the rolls in the bread maker then, or do you have to put them on a baking tray in main oven?
Sorry for the late reply...

You get the dough out of the breadmaker, shape your rolls and let them proove for about 30mins at about 40c. When they've roughly doubled in size you need to cook them at around 200c for 10 to 15 minutes. I also spray mine with som oil and top them with either poppy or sesame seeds before putting them in the oven.

You should get a decent recipe booklet for bread or dough included with the breadmaker.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 22, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Are these any use for making gluten free bread ?
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 22, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We had one but it was a load of faff. Much easier to use the oven.

We have not yet tried our air fryer though - this might work.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List