Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Mar 08, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
clwil02
Dibbing with Tink

Spending money for DCL

Now that we are including a cruise this year I am adjusting our itinerary. One thing that I'm not sure about is spending money for our 3 days on the Wonder? Does anyone mind sharing how much they found they spent?

I know that meals are covered (I don't think we'll be eating in Palo's this time) and we need to allow for drinks and tips but I wondered what else there was...?

If anyone can remember how much the photos/photo packages were I'd be very grateful too - I'm guessing there isn't a photopass option?

Thank you
Old 9 Mar 08, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Hi

No there is no Photopass unfortunately

Its difficult to say what you'll spent of course , we did the 4 night cruise and hardly spent a bean ; we weren't fussed at all about the photos (we take plenty of our own), we are not big drinkers, did no spa treatments, and no excursions...we just bought a few bits and pieces from the ship's shop, a bingo session, a few drinks, did a Palo brunch, and of course there are the tips... the final bill, including tips, was well under £200 after deducting a small OBC.

However, on the 7 night cruise we went really mad as we were getting married whilst on the cruise so we were spoiling ourselves!

We did two excursions (2 adults/2 children), did a very expensive spa treatment (Couple's Choice - approx £250...but we'd just got married and it was Valentine's Day- we'd never get a better excuse ),a few glasses of wine at dinner and a few corkage fees, bought a few photos, bought quite a lot from ship's shop this time (some were presents for our DD's up coming birthday), dinner at Palo, plus tips... not much short of £1100, even after deduction our £150 or so OBC

One saving we did make both times though, was to bring our own wine, and also a few lagers - we had a verandah, which we wanted to enjoy to the full so, not only was it massively cheaper to bring your own and enjoy it on your verandah/room, but also saved either going up to the bar or paying room service.
We also preferred to pay corkage on our own bottles at the restaurants, than buy wine by the glass or bottle.

My personal opinion is that it is not strictly necessary to spend alot on a first, short cruise, as you will find plenty to entertain without booking excursions or spa treatments... and unless these REALLY appeal, I wouldn't bother - as to your bar bill (probably the next biggest expense) ...then that is up to you . The photos are easy to get sucked into ... but we were very strict with ourselves and decided on a limit before we went; ie. we were going to take the best 3 and no more... we have hundreds of our own and limited wall space,we had to be good !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:22 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 08, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wayneg
Imagineer

As above post says you can spend nothing or a fortune. Our 1st one (4 nights) it just cost us for tips never spent a cent.
2nd (7 nights) one we had a $200 obc so we did fishing trip at Castaway cay to spend it, DS bought a few smoothies cost us about $50+tips.
3rd(7 nights) we went mad and bought a photo, few cocktails (dont drink usually), spent about $100+tips
If you drink, do trips, and buy loads of photos you can spend a small fortune.
We go end of this month on another 4 night, $50 obc, doubt we will spend anymore than that.
Old 9 Mar 08, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
clwil02
Dibbing with Tink

Thanks for that - it sounds like this cruise malarky is addictive as you are both describing more than one trip

We're not big drinkers - just the occasional cocktail and we weren't intending to do any day trips or spa treatments. This is all good as it gives us extra money to spend in the malls when we get back to Orlando.

Can I ask if anyone took their own soft drinks on board?

My weakness is family photos and although I take loads of my own there is always one of us behind the camera so I like to buy photos with all of us on - anyone remember how much they cost?
Old 9 Mar 08, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wayneg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by clwil02 View Post
Thanks for that - it sounds like this cruise malarky is addictive as you are both describing more than one trip

We're not big drinkers - just the occasional cocktail and we weren't intending to do any day trips or spa treatments. This is all good as it gives us extra money to spend in the malls when we get back to Orlando.

Can I ask if anyone took their own soft drinks on board?

My weakness is family photos and although I take loads of my own there is always one of us behind the camera so I like to buy photos with all of us on - anyone remember how much they cost?
We have been married 18 years, always said cruising is not for us, too formal, dont do many table service meals, won't like being couped up on a ship etc. About 4 years ago tried the 4 nights on Wonder and loved it, best thing we could have ever done for our son, for about 8 years he had not left our sight (apart from Nursery and school) he was very quiet and shy. That cruise totally changed his life. at 13(almost 14) he has as much confidence as any child needs. The staff in the Kids club will never know how much they changed our son in the 4 nights.
We love the food, the shows, the staff, don't think there is anything we dislike about Disney cruising. We have also done a RCCL cruise(doing another in August) not in the same league as Disney but still enjoyed. Also have 2 more Disney cruises booked (This month and Aug 09)
So doubt yours will be one off.

Never taken soft drinks onboard, they are included with all the meals and free from the drinks station.
We have taken a few beers and a bottle of vodka onboard but brought most back off again, eat too much to drink as well.
Old 9 Mar 08, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Soft drinks, coffee, iced tea, lemonade, etc. free 24 hours as I recall. You go onto the top level and there is a self-serve station. Orange juice, too I think. Also ice cream and food like chicken nuggets and fries. You can eat like a maniac on this cruise.

Heinekens run about $4.50 or so, so we saved over $100 by bringing a case on board! No problem.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 08, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread