Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 17, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jmo82
a Friend of the DIBB

AVIS at Tampa

Hello, we are counting down the days but nervous about Flying into Tampa for the first time. We have a fly drive with BA so the car is with AVIS. Does anyone have any experience with them from here? I have joined the preferred club so hope this helps. can we also look at changing the car if we don't like the initial unlike at MCO? Thanks for your help!
jmo82 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Just bumping for you op, I'm interested too as have exactly the same questions for my upcoming trip!

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
owens5558
VIP Dibber

owens5558's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We have used Avis with BA at Tampa a number of times and never had a problem and the car has always been what we wanted or better.

Penny
owens5558 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by owens5558 View Post
We have used Avis with BA at Tampa a number of times and never had a problem and the car has always been what we wanted or better.

Penny
Do you know whether Avis have the swap line or upgrade line as at MCO?
Also I believe if you are a preferred club member you collect keys in the baggage claim area, rather than the main desk outside, is this correct?
Thanks for any help
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by ramsays View Post
Do you know whether Avis have the swap line or upgrade line as at MCO?
Also I believe if you are a preferred club member you collect keys in the baggage claim area, rather than the main desk outside, is this correct?
Thanks for any help
I haven't used Tampa but I found this, albeit with what you have posted I suspect you may already have read it. Hope it helps.

locations.avis/us/fl/tampa/tpa.html

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

Is the Avis Preferred desk in the Tampa Baggage Claim a new thing? We have always just gone to the kiosk in the garage where there has been an envelope and keys waiting for us.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DebsMK View Post
Is the Avis Preferred desk in the Tampa Baggage Claim a new thing? We have always just gone to the kiosk in the garage where there has been an envelope and keys waiting for us.
I don't know, I was sent the link from Avis which shows on their website about collecting keys in baggage hall, but not sure... I would like to know as hoping to save time queuing... Also whether the swap / exchange is available as per MCO? Have you used preferred at Tampa before?
Old 20 Feb 17, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
happy bunny
Imagineer

happy bunny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
We flew into Tampa last September with BA and had a car with Avis.

Once we were clear of customs immigration etc we went towards the car hire desks, and there was a sign telling you, that if you had a Avis preferred card, to go straight to the garage.
Once on the right level, there is a separate booth, handed our paperwork over, opted for the prepaid tank of gas [was cheaper than filling it ourselves] was handed our keys [didn't need the additional drivers licence] and told what [arking space our car was in.
Can't comment about an exchange row, as we only hired a compact [was fine about a mondeo size, more leg room that my brothers 7 seater full size SUV! ]

Took all of about 10 minutes to be driving out of the airport, from getting to the counter. Followed my nose to the I4 think I followed 275 to Tampa [east] and that drops onto the I4. I know getting back was very straight forward
Had a lovely run up, no traffic, but we flew on a Saturday. Landed at 4pm, had been to Publix, checked in at CSR, dumped our cases, freshened up and as waking into MK by 7.30pm

This airport is a nice option and on returning, there was a'huge' queue of three people infront of us at security and no one at check in
Old 20 Feb 17, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We used Avis at Tampa last week. Booked through BA. We went to the booth in the garage. Didn't need to show BA executive card for free driver as they said spouse is automatically covered. They didn't even want to see my drivers licence when we handed them it. Didn't notice if there was an exchange row as we were happy with the car we were allocated. DO CHECK YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE - we were in the car when I checked the paperwork and it said estimated charges were about $191. I went back to the garage counter to query it and the lady tried saying it was due to me taking some insurances. I said I hadn't and she said they'd remove it but it wasn't that. She also said it was the pounds converted into dollars but I said I'd prepaid and it should say estimated charges $0. Eventually she went into the booking and managed to print a different paper off that had the dollar amount on but also showed prepaid voucher and estimated charges $0. We also made sure the printout said $0 on returning the car.

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Orlando 2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
We used Avis at Tampa last week. Booked through BA. We went to the booth in the garage. Didn't need to show BA executive card for free driver as they said spouse is automatically covered. They didn't even want to see my drivers licence when we handed them it. Didn't notice if there was an exchange row as we were happy with the car we were allocated. DO CHECK YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE - we were in the car when I checked the paperwork and it said estimated charges were about $191. I went back to the garage counter to query it and the lady tried saying it was due to me taking some insurances. I said I hadn't and she said they'd remove it but it wasn't that. She also said it was the pounds converted into dollars but I said I'd prepaid and it should say estimated charges $0. Eventually she went into the booking and managed to print a different paper off that had the dollar amount on but also showed prepaid voucher and estimated charges $0. We also made sure the printout said $0 on returning the car.
Thanks for that, that sounds easy enough. Yes, will definitely check paperwork, have been caught by that before.
So the stuff about keys in baggage hall sounds like nonsense then!