Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Feb 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Quertychap
Excited about Disney

Halifax Clarity card

The web site info for this card to me seems a bit confusing. Can anyone tell me what you get charged for with this card and what comes free?
Thanks!
Quertychap is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

The main advantage of the Halifax Clarity card is that the bank don’t charge any foreign transaction fees or cash withdrawal fees. So anything you spend abroad will be converted at the pure exchange rate. Though ATMs may charge a few dollars.

This was frequently recommended a few years ago for a cheap way to spend abroad, but with the rise of app based banks, eg Starling, Monzo etc who also don’t charge foreign exchange fees mean a lot of people use these instead.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
The main advantage of the Halifax Clarity card is that the bank don’t charge any foreign transaction fees or cash withdrawal fees. So anything you spend abroad will be converted at the pure exchange rate. Though ATMs may charge a few dollars.

This was frequently recommended a few years ago for a cheap way to spend abroad, but with the rise of app based banks, eg Starling, Monzo etc who also don’t charge foreign exchange fees mean a lot of people use these instead.
The other main advantage is that with the Clarity you get the inter bank exchange rate which is the best possible. Not sure if the other cards you mention do this.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
The other main advantage is that with the Clarity you get the inter bank exchange rate which is the best possible. Not sure if the other cards you mention do this.
I used Monzo and that was charged at the Mastercard exchange rate.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
thesorcerer
VIP Dibber

I used this last summer travelling through Amsterdam, Dubai and Singapore. It saved a lot of fuss using different currencies. No issues.

Sunridge Woods, Davenport. 2010
Disney Wilderness Lodge Christmas 2014
Vista Cay Apartments 2014
Sunridge Woods... again. 2017
Singapore 2019 (Universal, Whoop, Whoop)
Disneyland Hotel DLP (CANCELLED)
"Ooo-oooo! Big summer celebratory blowout" 2022
thesorcerer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Is that the same as the inter bank rate?

Edited at 10:43 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Halifax Clarity is a credit card. Am I right in thinking that Monzo is a bank account and therefore a debit card?
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by johnb View Post
Halifax Clarity is a credit card. Am I right in thinking that Monzo is a bank account and therefore a debit card?
That would make Monza a non-starter for me. And fundamentally different from the Halifax Clarity CC.
Old 10 Feb 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

There’s zero need to go for Starling, Monzo etc if you can get a Halifax or Post Office credit card, unless you don’t trust yourself to budget;

1. Less protection against fraud or theft.
2. No interest free period.
3. Have to faff about loading money onto it.
Old 10 Feb 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Don't forget, Halifax is also a 24/7 call centre, so if you have problems you have someone to talk to - don't know about the others. I've seen so many issues over the years on this site from people who have tried charge cards etc and had issues. Sure, when they work, they are great, but out of UK office hours just try and get hold of someone to help you out! Ok, I'm biased, before I retired I helped build and test that product as a project manager for Halifax/bos but I still use it today. I also use it to withdraw cash if I need it and pay back that withdrawal form my bank account the same day. You might get charged a couple of pence interest, but that will be the only charge (unless the atm owner charges you).
John is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List