Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 May 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

All these tips have been really useful as we are off to Washington for 5 nights in October.

Thanks everyone for sharing ideas.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
turkishrebel
Proud to wear my Ears

wow thank you so so much for all the wonderful info. we have booked and are going at the start of September.
turkishrebel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
alungrace
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

just back from Washington and a 3 week road trip. We flew Manchester to Dulles via Dublin so straight off the plane as we went through immigration at Dublin. Shuttle bus from airport to Alamo rental then drove down to Arlington staying at a hotel with free parking and free breakfast. We parked the car up at the hotel and just used the metro to do the sights in dc. Ideal the metro was a 5 minute walk from hotel.
alungrace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by alungrace View Post
just back from Washington and a 3 week road trip. We flew Manchester to Dulles via Dublin so straight off the plane as we went through immigration at Dublin. Shuttle bus from airport to Alamo rental then drove down to Arlington staying at a hotel with free parking and free breakfast. We parked the car up at the hotel and just used the metro to do the sights in dc. Ideal the metro was a 5 minute walk from hotel.
Can you tell me which hotel you stayed in. We wanted to go back to Hyatt Regency at Tysons corner this year, but it's about $250 per night plus $25 per night parking - far too expensive.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumindevon
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile

We went to nyc and Washington at Easter. Flew to jfk for 5 days in nyc and then took Amtrak to dc for 2 days. Flew home from Dulles and used an Uber to get there from Washington. Stayed in the darcy hotel which was really fantastic and good location. Washington is everything nyc isn’t; calm, green, clean. But we love them both. We were lucky enough to be there for White House gardens open weekend and the blossom festival. Really beautiful. Lots of walking to see monuments. Metro to Arlington and we used buses to get to Georgetown which I would highly recommend for an evening meal.
Mumindevon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Thanks to the OP for this thread.

We’ve just booked flights to visit Washington at the end of October, so am going to check out all of the hotels mentioned here now to help us try to narrow it down. Think I best check out some trip reports too!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I've just written a sort of trippie (not full on, but hopefully some helpful hints) here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...0#post13885630

We loved Washington so I'm sure you'll enjoy
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi

My friend and I went to Washington two years ago - we stayed in New York for 4 nights and because we have been several time we decided to get the Amtrak train up to Washington. The journey was brilliant - the scenery was fab to look at. Washington was eerily quiet compared to NY.
We applied for a tour of the Pentagon - free, just put in all of your travel details and you don't have to be staying in Washington - like you do for the White House Tour.
The Pentagon your was absolutely fascinating - very informative and great to walk around - the permitted areas anyway. I would definitely recommend this for any Washington trip.

Hope you enjoy
Old 5 Jun 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

We flew into Dulles last Thursday, Uber to Du Pont circle was £36. We walked everywhere (30000 steps each day). When didn’t pre book Capitol building but we arrived as the last tour was due to leave and managed to get on it, it was very interesting and informative I would definitely recommend. As previously posted Washington is so green and very pretty the memorials are all done very well.
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 03:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

We often went to DC for school breaks. It was a cheap flight and most attractions are free. My kids spent a lot of time in the museums and of course the zoo. And don't bypass some of the less well known museums. I think growing up one of my kids' favorites was the Holocaust Museum. Check out the Smithsonian Museums before you go. In probably 30 visits, I haven't made it to all yet.

Also go to the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

My advice is you do not want or need a car. Traffic can be horrendous and parking is a challenge. If you don't get on street parking, lots charge crazy prices. Washington is easy to navigate on foot or with public transportation.

Enjoy your visit!
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List