Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jun 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mceeaw
I have Ears

Question Newbie! Oct 2020 tentative planner

Hi all.

Thought I'd dive in for some opinions whilst having a trawl through the boards. Looking at "selling" the idea of a trip to my husband and thought I'd try research rough costs and options.

Would love to get any top tips from experts.

Trip:
  • When: October 2020 (mid month, exact dates tbc once school holidays known)
  • Who: 4 adults, 1 child (7yrs) likely, potentially an additional 2 adults and 2 children (4yrs, 6yrs) depending on their plans
  • Where: We'd want to do ALL of Disney for the kids as well as Universal. Likely split 10days/3days between Disney and Universal?

I'm thinking a villa with car hire would work out best for costs as much as I'd love to be onsite, from a quick glance it looks like the costs of a villa are significantly less and we've plenty adults happy to drive. We'd be happy doing a mix of some dining on site and a few trips to local restaurants around about the local area also. (My parents may well take some non-Disney days to go see other stuff)

Some initial questions related to the above:
  • What locations/areas would you recommend (or recommend against!) searching for a villa in?
  • Is there a "best" time to buy tickets in terms of special deals, extras added in etc? I saw Attraction Tickets offering a combo on WDW and Universal which seemed decent value.
  • Would it be worth doing a couple nights onsite to take advantage of EMH and general Disney excitement before retiring offsite to villa?!

Thank you all so much, I'm back to my reading and searching now!
mceeaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunshinekid
slightly serious Dibber

Hello fellow Scottish Dibber.

I’m just moseying on the boards and saw your post.

‘I'm thinking a villa with car hire would work out best for costs’
* YES, for the number of you a villa and minivan or minibus if extra family goes.

‘What locations/areas would you recommend (or recommend against!) searching for a villa in?’
*We’ve only done a villa once as a large party of 5 adults and 2 kids (was supposed to be 6 adult but my mum sadly got shingles just before we flew out)
We were in Sunrise Villas just south of Clermont. Villa was a good price but I did feel like we were battling the traffic on the 192 more than compared to when we’ve stayed at hotels in Kissimmee or I-drive.

‘Is there a "best" time to buy tickets in terms of special deals, extras added in etc? I saw Attraction Tickets offering a combo on WDW and Universal which seemed decent value.’
*Keep your eye on the boards. There’s often a combo deal at Attraction Tickets Direct or Orlando Attractions. Both great companies we’ve used before.

‘Would it be worth doing a couple nights onsite to take advantage of EMH and general Disney excitement before retiring offsite to villa?!’
* If I was going to pay to stay on site I’d actually pay for a couple of nights at Universal to get their Express Front of Line passes for everyone. Book one night and you get 2 days passes. Check in day and check out day.
We stayed at Royal Pacific Resort last summer and loved the early access to Studios, Wizarding World and the Express Pass.
At the beginning of your trip you’ll be up with the larks as your body adjusts to the time difference. You’ll be able to get to Disney early (rope drop) and get in a few rides before it gets too busy.
Off site restaurants are pretty amazing and even when we stay on site at Disney or Universal we will eat off site more than onsite for dinner in the evenings.
If you’ve any questions, just ask. Everyone here is brilliant.
Sunshinekid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
esteeds
VIP Dibber

esteeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Hi,
Regarding villa location, we have stayed in A villa each time. I would recommend avoiding the 192 as the traffic can be an issue. We have stayed around the champions gate area and along the Ronald Reagan Parkway. There are several easy ways to get to WDW including the drive up from Celebration on World Drive and the 492. It is also easy to get the Four Corners. We stayed in the Providence Golf resort on US17 and although it was a Fanta resort and villa it was too far away from everything (except the golf course).
1995 WDW Landstar Homes Villa | 1998 WDW Coronado Springs & Ft. Myers | 1999 WDW Key Largo & All Star Movies | 2002 Disneyland Paris Davy Crockett Ranch | 2007 Glenbrook Resort Villa | June 2008 DLP | 15 June 2009 DLP Sequoia Lodge | Oct 2010 Sunrise Villa, West Haven & Anna Maria Island | July 2013 DIBB Villa | 17th Aug.2015 Hard Rock Hotel | June 2019 - Hard Rock, Champions Gate, AMI
esteeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mceeaw
I have Ears

Mobile

Thanks both, some great advice! #noted
mceeaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Spike1911
Excited about Disney

Mobile

To be honest, if you aren’t straying too much away from Disney or Universal I don’t think cars are cost effective as you’ll pay for your rental and then $25 per day parking. It will work out cheaper to use a taxi as long as your not too far away.
Spike1911 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List