Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Nov 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Update to Teesside MCO Indirect

Hi Dibbers who are following this thread, I am OP and I said I would report back on how flights went:

Way Out - 2 hop
20 Mins to Teesside airport in Taxi - great left house at 8:30am
Short wait in Teesside with coffee after feeding machine with £6 each KLM 10:00am flight to Schiphol
Short stop in Schiphol which allowed us to have some breakfast - all great so far
Lovely Delta flight to MCO - no issues - arrived at villa about 9:30pm (having collected car etc).
Luggage went straight through and I tracked it on Delta app!

Would definatley do thsi route again, it was so much nicer than driving to Manchester and no hotel/parking costs.

Way Back - 3 hop (we could not get 2 hop but decided to try it as never flown indierct before)
Hour drive to MCO
Flight to MInneapolis - no issues (apart from 2:40 flight time!)
found next gate then just 30 mins sit down before on flight home
7.5 hours to Amsterdam
However flight was hour early and we had to wait 4 hours for 10:00am flight back to Teesside - when we booked wait time was only two hours. yes thsi was a paina nd I fell asleep on chair for two hours!
Picked up by Dad at airport

Would we do this again - no - but we would do direct from MCO to Amsterdam again.

So my tip if trying this is to try and get 2 hop flight that leaves you minimum time in Amsterdam both ways - may not be that easy.

Cost was only £500 each so - was worth a try.

Thanks Dibbers
Old 8 Nov 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by markiemark90 View Post
Hi Dibbers who are following this thread, I am OP and I said I would report back on how flights went:

Way Out - 2 hop
Short wait in Teesside with coffee after feeding machine with £6 each KLM 10:00am flight to Schiphol
Short stop in Schiphol which allowed us to have some breakfast - all great so far
Lovely Delta flight to MCO - no issues - arrived at villa about 9:30pm (having collected car etc).

Would definatley do thsi route again, it was so much nicer than driving to Manchester and no hotel/parking costs.

Way Back - 3 hop (we could not get 2 hop but decided to try it as never flown indierct before)
Hour drive to MCO
7.5 hours to Amsterdam
However flight was hour early and we had to wait 4 hours for 10:00am flight back to Teesside - when we booked wait time was only two hours. yes thsi was a paina nd I fell asleep on chair for two hours!

Would we do this again - no - but we would do direct from MCO to Amsterdam again.

So my tip if trying this is to try and get 2 hop flight that leaves you minimum time in Amsterdam both ways - may not be that easy.

Thanks Dibbers
Glad this route worked out (mostly) well. My Brother is flying this route in April Teesside-Amsterdam—NYC staying in NYC a few nights before flying onto MCO. His return is MCO-Amsterdam-Teesside. I’m hoping it’s going to work well for him too.

Think he’s flying KLM/Delta?

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by markiemark90 View Post

Way Out - 2 hop

Hour drive to MCO
7.5 hours to Amsterdam

Thanks Dibbers
Hiya Mark - aye, brother said the return was a killer for them too, albeit they were flying into Birmingham as they live in the Cotswolds. They decided via A'dam/flying East to go West wasn't a route they'd take again.
Old 10 Nov 18, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

That wait of 3+ hours on the way back is tough. We sat outside the designer shops lowering the tone.

On the other hand it felt safer than driving back from MAN and I was putting my key in our front door just after 10am.

Lifts to the airport as well so no parking charges.

We are doing it again in April so wish me luck
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Last couple of trips on klm via ams we have gone via Newcastle to avoid the long wait .the connection times for Teesside never worked our right

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

According to our local free paper (positive news only allowed) ...

Stobart are taking over as operator and Peel group's 89% shareholding has been handed back to the Mayor and combined local authorities.

Stobart plan to increase passenger numbers to 1.4 million over 10 years and attract a low cost carrier (bet it's Ryanair!) by 2021.

Rumoured new destinations are Dublin and Belfast.

Maybe a Dublin flight might open up North American options although they usually involve long waits on the return leg just like AMS.

Meantime I've got my pound coins saved up to feed the airport leccy meter for our upcoming trip.

Edited at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
According to our local free paper (positive news only allowed) ...

Stobart are taking over as operator and Peel group's 89% shareholding has been handed back to the Mayor and combined local authorities.

Stobart plan to increase passenger numbers to 1.4 million over 10 years and attract a low cost carrier (bet it's Ryanair!) by 2021.

Rumoured new destinations are Dublin and Belfast.

Maybe a Dublin flight might open up North American options although they usually involve long waits on the return leg just like AMS.

Meantime I've got my pound coins saved up to feed the airport leccy meter for our upcoming trip.
Hiya soto - be interesting to see where this goes, example: will Stobart remove the charge to go thro to departures. Could be a result for those living in Teesside, we'll likely stay with Ncl at 20 mile away vs Teesside at 32. Ncl has a choice of Ryanair or Aer Lingus (Stobart Air) to Dublin. Will watch this one with interest.
Old 23 Mar 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I saw something similar that also said that Stobart own Flybe and they would more than likely fly from DTV
Old 23 Mar 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mghayward
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs View Post
Back in the day, you could get on a plane at Teesside Airport, have a quick flight to Glasgow and without having to leave your seat continue to Sanford Airport... it was so easy as only 15 minutes down the road.

Maybe we need to start a campaign... Bring back Teesside Airport flights to Florida.
Remember doing this “back in the day” a no hassle trip😎
Old 23 Mar 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Boyle73
Imagineer

Mobile

We now live just 30 minutes from Manchester airport but have the best memories of flying back to Teesside and home in Billingham with the kettle on in 15 minutes 😊