Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 17, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Dd has been offered a place at a 6th form just a stones throw from us. Luckily it has a fantastic reputation and kids travel miles if they get a place. She has opted to study biology, chemistry, English combined and psychology.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Dd has been offered a place at a 6th form just a stones throw from us. Luckily it has a fantastic reputation and kids travel miles if they get a place. She has opted to study biology, chemistry, English combined and psychology.
You are lucky to have a great 6th form nearby. My daughter will be travelling for an hour or more each way to get to her 6th form next year. It is considered to be very good though.
My DD is studying virtually the same as yours, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Drama ☺
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

The Darwin question my daughter put something like "because Darwin believed all species developed from simpler organisms/life forms and their was little evidence and opposition from those with religious beliefs."

However her biology teacher told her she'd got it wrong? !

DD is going to college to study BTEC level 3 health and social care. Provided she gets 5 above...a C whatever that is now! Inc maths, English and science 🤞
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Makes life so much easier doesn't it. Our 6th form is at our current school where our kids have been since kindergarten. Requirements are high but I think he will be ok
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Makes life so much easier doesn't it. Our 6th form is at our current school where our kids have been since kindergarten. Requirements are high but I think he will be ok
Hi there

Do you know when your DS/DD are told if they have got a place in 6th form. My DD is also hoping to get a place in 6th form (current school she attends). They have already been interviewed, that was back in early March. However from what I understand, the kids won't find out if they have a place until results day.

Thank you
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by salmon70 View Post
Hi there

Do you know when your DS/DD are told if they have got a place in 6th form. My DD is also hoping to get a place in 6th form (current school she attends). They have already been interviewed, that was back in early March. However from what I understand, the kids won't find out if they have a place until results day.

Thank you
The requirements at ours are at least an A grade in the subjects they want to sit at A level. This applies to external applicants too. The school have had meetings with the parents of those children who are not expected to meet the requirements and helped them to apply elsewhere or follow another path. We have been told that they expect our son to be fine but I did raise the question what would happen if on results day in August he didn't do as well as they expected would he not be allowed in. I was told he will be ok as they know him well enough and are aware of his capabilities. Why not ask the year head? It may save the extra worry
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wozza View Post
The Darwin question my daughter put something like "because Darwin believed all species developed from simpler organisms/life forms and their was little evidence and opposition from those with religious beliefs."

However her biology teacher told her she'd got it wrong? !

DD is going to college to study BTEC level 3 health and social care. Provided she gets 5 above...a C whatever that is now! Inc maths, English and science 🤞
edit, gave 3 points!

They seem to have wanted 3 points - 1. Darwin suggested monkeys and humans shared a common ancestor. 2. This went against religious theory in Victorian times, that we all come from God,
3. so the cartoon of an ape with Darwin's face was to mock and ridicule him.

Edited at 10:20 AM.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Colette-S. We did have a discussion about this at the last meeting and was told roughly the same (ie know the child well etc). From what I recall I think they have to achieve B's to get a place however I asked the same question as you ie what happens if DD doesn't make the grades. I will give them a quick call on Monday, I just hope DD does well as results day is the day we fly off on holiday and don't want her to dwell on anything while we're away.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Thanks Colette-S. We did have a discussion about this at the last meeting and was told roughly the same (ie know the child well etc). From what I recall I think they have to achieve B's to get a place however I asked the same question as you ie what happens if DD doesn't make the grades. I will give them a quick call on Monday, I just hope DD does well as results day is the day we fly off on holiday and don't want her to dwell on anything while we're away.
If they have suggested she will be ok I wouldn't worry too much. They know her well enough and understand that sometimes they could have an off day during exam time. Give them a call to put your mind at rest!
Old 20 May 17, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi there

Thank you
Dd took her report and mocks results to all three colleges we went to for interview. She was offered a place at all three during each interview based on these results. She accepted and signed for a place at the college she wanted to go to. Hopefully she will do as well in the real exams now!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread