Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 5 Jan 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile Discovery cove with a 6 year old

Hello! We are thinking of doing DC when we go in Nov/Dec, our youngest will be 6 when we go - I know she will be able to swim with the dolphins, i just wondered if anybody had any experience of going with a little person of this age and how they found it? It seems quite little to me!
Thank you!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ukman
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Our little one will turn 5 in a few weeks, she hasn't done the swim with the dolphins yet, but when we go in December 19, this will be her third visit, and she's loved it. So I'm sure you will have a good time.
ukman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
elle10
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My boy was 6 when we went in 2017. He loved it! He was quite a confident swimmer though.

He especially loved snorkelling with the rays and fish. Try and get her to practice with a snorkel if she hasn’t done that before.

The ray pool and some parts of the lazy river were quite deep so I think it all depends on her water confidence.

So I think a 6 year old is absolutely fine especially if they can swim.
elle10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

She's quite a good little swimmer so I know she will love the other bits in the park, if not then she can just eat her way through the day haha! She wants to do the dolphin swim, that's the bit that worries me a bit as she's quite small and those dolphins are not! 🙈🤣
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter was 6 and a good little swimmer. She loved the park but was terrified of the dolphin. The trainer was really good though and had me and her tickling the dolphin to get her used to it before the swim.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

When we went in 2012 Dan was six and although he went to swimming classes he wasn’t a confident swimmer. He was kept in his depth at all time and says he enjoyed it.

Dee
Xx
Dan's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamcatcher
slightly serious Dibber

We went with our son in 2015 and swam with the Dolphins and then again in 2017 our son was 6 the first time we went and yes I was worried about how he'd react with the Dolphins but no problems at all .

There are buoyancy vests all around the park and would recommend them especially in the lazy river as it does drop quite deep to be honest I even wore one as didn't feel strong enough to get my son out of trouble if something happened without one . There are life guards everywhere but felt better with it on.

They can wear it in with the Dolphins but they can do shallow swim which we did so no need for it , I was worried how son would react so sent Dad first so he would be at other end for son to go to then looked back and son had gone out to trainer ready for his go and loved it , he still remembers the Dolphin names to this day.

Wasn't so keen on ray pool as it was freezing but we where there in Feb.
Son even snorkelled for the first time and loved it xx

Love Discovery Cove get there early and make the most of your day everything is there you need.
dreamcatcher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Fab - thank you everyone for your replies!
Old 5 Jan 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My son was 6 when we did it in 2017. He loved it, he stayed in his depth and did the shallow swim at the end (he wanted to go out but I preferred him to stay in his depth) the video is lovely to watch back he has the biggest grin on his face The whole time and is bouncing with happiness all the way through x
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes my dd did the dolphin swim at six. She was confident in water and whilst I thought she would do the shallow water version she actually ended up doing deep water water one.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List