Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Mar 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kitkat81 View Post
I am having same problem, but what annoys me it seems couples are booking for example a window and aisle seat hoping for middle seat free making only middle seats available so can't seat my family even near each other - across aisles from each other. This is on American Airlines where we can pre-book our seats for free from when we book. Their plan won't work to well when they have an upset 5 year old between them. It should just go back to when airlines assigned seats.
id book that seat and stick my 3yo in there

that'll teach em,

meanwhile me and mamamouse will have the middle seat free in the row behind for our sweets - top tip, thanks KitKat... mmmmm kit kat

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by k100dmk View Post
I really wish airlines would stop doing this and just factor in how many people on average pay for seats and split the cost across tickets. I know it would up ticket prices but it seems more of a bitter pill to swallow when extras start getting added on.
I don't agree, but each to their own
Old 14 Mar 17, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
I never pre-book and have never been split up.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Soexcited2804
Getting Excited

Mobile

I wonder if I hadn't already paid £200 to reserve our seats each way with Virgin for our trio wether 72 hours before u could have got the same seats or similar for free
Just not worth the risk with me as I book them as I'm a nervous flyer and like to choose where I sit the nearer the front the better
Soexcited2804 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
andyhen
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

andyhen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

it is a hidden charge because it used to be free. you book your holidays early you should get first choice. I too wonder why people argue with others just because they are willing to pay or can afford it.
andyhen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
nattyk
Imagineer

when we flew last year (family of 5) I contacted Virgin as my daughter has a medical condition so wanted to ensure we at least sat together = and the lady at vVrgin was really nice and waved the cost for us all to prebook on both flights...
2008 (April) - Villa Windsor Hills, 2009 (Dec) - Villa Tuscan Hills, 2012 (Aug) Regal Palms/Marco Island 2013 (Aug) NY & Orlando, 2015 (Aug) AMI & Orlando, 2016 (Aug) Cabana Bay & AMI, 2017 (Dec) Orlando Villa Formosa Gardens
nattyk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kitkat81 View Post
I am having same problem, but what annoys me it seems couples are booking for example a window and aisle seat hoping for middle seat free making only middle seats available so can't seat my family even near each other - across aisles from each other. This is on American Airlines where we can pre-book our seats for free from when we book. Their plan won't work to well when they have an upset 5 year old between them. It should just go back to when airlines assigned seats.
Apparently that's a known trick when they have a child that's young enough to have as a lap baby where they don't need to pay, so they can try and get a free seat.

Honestly, even as a solo traveller I've been happy to pay to book the seat I want. In my case I wanted an aisle seat so I wasn't bugging anyone to get past for the loo all the time.

Different people have got different reasons for wanting specific seats - look at all the threads about Dibber Row for example. I'm happy to factor the cost into my ticket, that's my choice.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
I never pre-book and have never been split up.
Same here.

I do take advantage of flying club etc to book for free as early as I can, not been a problem yet.

Also I often find that with ba when I go into my booking a week before they've allocate seats for us as we're travelling with a child. Dd is 7, don't know what age they'd stop doing that.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post

My husband and I book the aisle and the window seat every time we fly. Someone is welcome to sit in the middle seat. He wants a window, I want an aisle and we're willing to pay if necessary. He sleeps, I don't and don't want to be asking every time I want to get up.

Edited at 07:31 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
Apparently that's a known trick when they have a child that's young enough to have as a lap baby where they don't need to pay, so they can try and get a free seat.

Honestly, even as a solo traveller I've been happy to pay to book the seat I want. In my case I wanted an aisle seat so I wasn't bugging anyone to get past for the loo all the time.

Different people have got different reasons for wanting specific seats - look at all the threads about Dibber Row for example. I'm happy to factor the cost into my ticket, that's my choice.

/Mo
Yes I'm sure that's what happens! It should just go back to how it was when the airlines assigned seats e.g if you were a family of 4 and were flying a jumbo with 4 seats in the middle you were assigned them. Now a family of 4 might book a window and a aisle in 2 rows leaving 2 single seats which if done many times causes problems.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List