Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 13, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

This is a disgrace.
I'm not affected, but just went on quidco to see if the rate was still 12%.
It says 12% for activities.
Is that a change in wording to exclude tickets , or has it always said "activities"
Not that I a, planning on using them, but just wondered if the 12% offer is still on ?

Seems to me to be a mixture of the dollar rate and the quidco cost
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cashell
Getting to know the DIBB

I took the advice of contacting Simon Calder last night and already have a response. He would like to pass on all the details to a BBC consumer program and I have supplied all my phone numbers. I would encourage anyone else who has had tickets cancelled to post here so we can get a good idea of numbers but I suspect this could run into hundreds of customers. I will update any further information if I get it. I have also contacted Disney to inform them that Expedia are advising customers that Disney have cancelled peoples tickets and will hopefully get some response from them as well.
cashell is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
PrincessShelly
Excited about Disney

I might be wrong but the common thread here appears to relate to buying through cashback site link. I suspect Expedia did not want to pay cashback on Disney tickets, as when I looked cashback was going to be £95 and that was only based on 3 tickets. The cashback offer relates to 'attractions' and tickets come up under this heading. There is no exclusion listed but when faced by a load of cashback claims Expedia might well have choked as I can't see it stacking up with the price they pay to Disney or the exchange rate change. Although the Expedia price has already gone up to reflect the exchange rate as I've kept looking back to see whether it was a deal worth taking. From a legal point of view, this seems like a breach of contract, the contract has been concluded by exchange of consideration for the ticket vouchers, I can't believe Disney have indicated an unwillingness to honour the vouchers issued unless Expedia have payment terms which entitle them to render a voucher invalid due to non-payment. Hopefully Simon Calder's involvement will at least direct some unwanted attention towards them. Best of luck with getting sorted everyone.
PrincessShelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
deepcarsteven
I want to go now!

I didn't buy via any cash back site. Brought directly via Expedia as part of my package with my Flights and Hotel. So looks like this is everyone who brought tickets from Expedia not just cash back people.
deepcarsteven is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Given that Expedia are notorious for not paying cashback I'm sure it is not related at all... also the cashback comes out of the marketing budget so not directly linked
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That's got to be sth to do with disney and expedia then, if you didn't go thro' a cashback site.

As for the OP and others, the cashback was never guaranteed, of course. It's very very poor to have bought tickets and then have the order cancelled (ATD did this to lots of Dibbers over Xmas) but provided Expedia make a full refund just don't see where this is a breach of contract?

It will all come out in the wash, but it sounds like £30 odd off per ticket in cashback was in reality too good to be true, as it would have made the tickets much cheaper than could be bought through Disney itself, and Disney don't allow underselling.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshinetours
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
That's got to be sth to do with disney and expedia then, if you didn't go thro' a cashback site.

As for the OP and others, the cashback was never guaranteed, of course. It's very very poor to have bought tickets and then have the order cancelled (ATD did this to lots of Dibbers over Xmas) but provided Expedia make a full refund just don't see where this is a breach of contract?

It will all come out in the wash, but it sounds like £30 odd off per ticket in cashback was in reality too good to be true, as it would have made the tickets much cheaper than could be bought through Disney itself, and Disney don't allow underselling.
Everyone knows cashback is not guaranteed. The Expedia tickets were not undersold as they were something like £253 from memory. The attraction was taking the gamble of getting the 12% cash back paid which made them net around £220ish.

Both parties entered in to the agreement to sell and buy at £253 and money changed hands and e tickets were received and printed off by me. As an aside the cash back tracked and was awaing verification and then paying but this doesn't form part of any ticket contract.

If one side themn decides to pull out of the contract and cancel the tickets this is a breach of contract. One party cannot decide to break a contract and simply refund. They have the same tickets for sale at a higher price and hopefully Disney will confirm it is not them who have cancelled.

From a commercial point of view we would have to sue or threaten to sue for breach of contract and show losses which will be trickier.

This is incredibly bad business practice and creates huge negative goodwill towards Expedia
sunshinetours is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Yes, I should have been clearer, dependant on expedia's standard terms and conditions which probably allow them to cancel and refund in full, even if this were a breach of contract there is no actual financial loss (other than a few pence in lost interest on your outlay) as you can today buy tickets direct from wdw site for £248?

It's shoddy, but happened to loads of dibbers when ATD pulled the plug on ticket deals in late December too. The answer is to buy your tickets direct.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
becky2203
Imagineer

becky2203's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
It's shoddy, but happened to loads of dibbers when ATD pulled the plug on ticket deals in late December too. The answer is to buy your tickets direct.
In all fairness, this isn't the same as the ATD mistake in December (I'm assuming you're referring to when they had the ridiculously cheap price on their website but I can't remember what ticket is was for?).

If I'm reading this correctly these people have actually paid for and received tickets (albeit as vouchers) and it is these vouchers that are being cancelled some weeks later.
becky2203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 13, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Originally Posted by becky2203 View Post
In all fairness, this isn't the same as the ATD mistake in December (I'm assuming you're referring to when they had the ridiculously cheap price on their website but I can't remember what ticket is was for?).

If I'm reading this correctly these people have actually paid for and received tickets (albeit as vouchers) and it is these vouchers that are being cancelled some weeks later.
Yes. In both cases monies were paid and the "contract" was then cancelled. The only real difference is that ATD also unilaterally changed their terms and conditions overnight to cover themsselves
Closed Thread