Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jun 16, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
A route question about the Funie Steed Road area...

We are staying on Emerald Island so will be coming out of the resort onto Funie Steed Road. I presume this road is still dangerous/a dirt track beyond Formosa Gdns Blvd? If so, to get to WDW, which route do you think is quicker from the Funie Steed Rd/Formosa Gdns Blvd junction?

1. Turn right onto Formosa then go via Livingston Rd and Old Lake Wilson onto the 192.

2. Turn left onto Formosa then go straight onto the 192 from there.

The first option is more out of the way but has quieter roads - so maybe easier and less traffic?
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Also, re. the Sherberth Road shortcut - am I right that this is only really useful for AK and that for the other parks you're better off using world Drive from the 192?
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post

I've just booked Emerald Island too and very interested in this question... I just did a google maps street-view journey from Emerald to Sherberth Road along Funie Steed and it looks a bit dodgy!
Could of course have been improved since google did their photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vinlaasmummy07
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We are booked at emerald island too for next year first timers... Is it best to stick to the more busier routes rather than use the short cuts
vinlaasmummy07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
Also, re. the Sherberth Road shortcut - am I right that this is only really useful for AK and that for the other parks you're better off using world Drive from the 192?
We tend to use Sherberth Road for all parks except Hollywood Studios, as that route takes you to the entrance on the far side. It depends on the time of day, but the 192 can be very busy.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Originally Posted by vinlaasmummy07 View Post
We are booked at emerald island too for next year first timers... Is it best to stick to the more busier routes rather than use the short cuts
It depends how comfortable you are with driving on busy roads. I think I would prefer a slightly longer journey on very quiet roads but if it's going to take much longer then I'll stick with the 192.

As of last October Funie Steed was definitely not for the faint of heart but I'm not sure if it's been finished since then...
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I would be concerned of damaging the hire car on Funie Steed more than anything.
Can anyone recommend a good safe route from Emerald Island to WDW avoiding the 192 as much as possible?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
20togo
Very Serious Dibber

stayed at Sunset Lakes and Emerald Island both on Funie Steed RD.

When going to Disney always turned right on Funie Steed and went along to Entry Point Boulevard turned left and then cross the 192 at the lights onto Sherbeth Rd.

Funie Steed Rd is no problem on that stretch. Avoided the 192 - it's very busy.

Doubletree Guest Suites Sep 1996/1999
RPR/Bahama Bay Easter 2009
Cruise/villa/Dolphin/PBH August 2010
New York/Sandkey/Villa/PBH August 2013
20togo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Funie Steed Road

We are staying on Emerald Island so will be coming out of the resort onto Funie Steed Road. I presume this road is still dangerous/a dirt track beyond Formosa Gdns Blvd? If so, to get to WDW, which route do you think is quicker from the Funie Steed Rd/Formosa Gdns Blvd junction?

1. Turn right onto Formosa then go via Livingston Rd and Old Lake Wilson onto the 192.

The first option is more out of the way but has quieter roads - so maybe easier and less traffic?
Hi Funie Steed Road is quite a long road, but the dirt track part of it you are talking about has been like that for more than 20 years, we stay near there 2 or 3 times each year, your hire car is not insured to drive on a dirt track, so any damage to the vehicle would not be covered. It could be an expensive shortcut !

TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

Mobile

We are at Emerald Island at the moment. Funie Steed is still a dirt track beyond Formosa Gdns Blvd so we have tested all routes.We are finding this quickest

Out of Emerald Island and down to the four way stop on Formosa Gdns Blvd.Turn left and down to the 192. Turn right onto 192 (remember you can turn right on red if the way is clear). Down the 192 to next lights and turn left into Sherberth Rd. We are finding Sherberth a lot busier than years gone by but still a great shortcut

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread