Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I will answer the part of your querstion ref stuff getting behind

Splashbacks are best stuck on using either 'no more nails' or I use 'sticks like ≈≈≈≈'

Once on put some masking tape on the wall around it and some on the splashback itself and gun around with clear mastic, smooth off and remove the tape.

That way it is totally sealed.
I have slight issues with using " no more nails " its very ridged, so if you have any movement at all ( like a chopping board hitting the edge of it ) the seal will be broken and its useles

Now for me, the best idea it to use some clear silicone sealant ( mastic to you oldies ) on the back and as you said around the edges, the reason is that silicone sealant has some elasticity and if knocked will not break the bond

just my take on it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
I have slight issues with using " no more nails " its very ridged, so if you have any movement at all ( like a chopping board hitting the edge of it ) the seal will be broken and its useles

Now for me, the best idea it to use some clear silicone sealant ( mastic to you oldies ) on the back and as you said around the edges, the reason is that silicone sealant has some elasticity and if knocked will not break the bond

just my take on it
Can't fault your thinking - in fact I have done it that way.

It all depends what tubes I have lying around. If I have some white mastic then on it goes, but always clear around the edges.

Oh, and why have I just taken a radiator off and just realised I have no PTFE tape to put it back on when the papering is done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:45 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4

This is the marble like we've chosen!
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Oh, and why have I just taken a radiator off and just realised I have no PTFE tape to put it back on when the papering is done.
I have never used some clingfilm from my lunch when i have ran out of PTFE tape, no never done that
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
A glass splash back is pretty much the decision we have also made. We haven't actually started looking so cam I ask a couple of questions?
1. Who does the measuring up? Do they come to the house? How does it work buying online?
2. How do they fix to the wall - glue? If so, aren't some of these transparent to show up the paint colour behind - wont the glue show?
3. We are thinking of not just behind the hop, but right across - 2.5m. So a bit of a tetris shape with a higher bit behind the hob. Anyone done this - can it be a single piece of glass?

Thanks.
Re question 3 this is ours. What you are after I think- this is about 2m long.

This bit has to be heat treated. Initially they fitted 3 bits. I told them no chance, looks a mess with the join. I said I hadn't agreed to that.

They protested that getting a large bit heat treated is v difficult, couldn't do it.

Unfortunately for them I'd seen one they'd done, publicised on Facebook! Ah, that was done as a favour they said.

They did mine the same.

I'd seriously suggest insisting it is one piece, looks so much better.

They are always painted, so the glue doesn't show.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by catlady View Post

I’ve seen this backboard that you can match with your worktops, but doesn’t it have to have something over it near the hob or will it be ok near the heat ?
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Ours is natural marble with a similar fleck to it as in the photos I posted? Its fine near heat, but as with all natural porus finishes it can stain if you don't wipe food splashes promptly. We went to the industrial unit where they stored all the lengths of marble and Quatz and just looked through until I found the pattern I liked. The marbelling varied enormously!

We haven't had ours fitted yet so can't post any photos! Might be worth a look in your area?
Old 14 Oct 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I chose brick tiles, I really like them and much easier to wipe down than the splash backs I have had which always smeared
Old 14 Oct 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the lights from?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Re question 3 this is ours. What you are after I think- this is about 2m long.

This bit has to be heat treated. Initially they fitted 3 bits. I told them no chance, looks a mess with the join. I said I hadn't agreed to that.

They protested that getting a large bit heat treated is v difficult, couldn't do it.

Unfortunately for them I'd seen one they'd done, publicised on Facebook! Ah, that was done as a favour they said.

They did mine the same.

I'd seriously suggest insisting it is one piece, looks so much better.

They are always painted, so the glue doesn't show.
So this is exactly what is in our heads. Definitely no joins - that would be a deal breaker. Looks great!.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List