Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jun 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
I_Am_Groot
Proud to wear my Ears

Card swipe?

Hi I am hiring a car through Alamo Brits, I will be the main driver but my Girlfriend will also be driving. She has never driven over there so I will be driving from the airport.

My question is I have read a lot of things about having to leave a card when you are leaving and this HAS TO BE in the same name as the main driver. I only have a debit card but am a little worried to have this swiped, how much do they hold on the card and how long is it held for?
My girlfriend has a Credit Card, can this not be used if she is a named driver?

The other option is put her name as the main driver but I drive the car out of the airport and pass her card and licence to them? is this allowed?

Thanks for any help.
I_Am_Groot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

Your debit card will be fine, we have used a debit card on both occassions

i dont think Alamo hold any money but i might be wrong, i know the norm with Hertz is $200

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
I_Am_Groot
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
Your debit card will be fine, we have used a debit card on both occassions

i dont think Alamo hold any money but i might be wrong, i know the norm with Hertz is $200
Thank you but thats what concerns me, as my debit card will not have that much money on it.
I_Am_Groot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
99% of people never get a hold applied. However some do for an unknown reason. If they do apply a hold it's invariably $200.

So to guarantee you will be ok you need those funds available on your Debit Card. However they should accept your Partners credit card but bear in mind they can refuse that albeit they almost certainly wont.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
I_Am_Groot
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
99% of people never get a hold applied. However some do for an unknown reason. If they do apply a hold it's invariably $200.

So to guarantee you will be ok you need those funds available on your Debit Card. However they should accept your Partners credit card but bear in mind they can refuse that albeit they almost certainly wont.
Thank you for this, do you know how long the hold will be for if they do it? We are only on holiday for a week.
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by I_Am_Groot View Post
Thank you for this, do you know how long the hold will be for if they do it? We are only on holiday for a week.
It will be released as the car is returned. However if that's a weekend don't expect to see it until the Tuesday, maybe a day more.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post

I have never had a hold put on a debit card, only a credit card. I maybe wrong but seem to remember its to do with the differences in the way they work.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Be aware they may charge your card weeks after return for the likes of unpaid tolls, and fines such as Failing to come to a complete stop at lights when turning right on red, or going thro the lights. My son got one at $158 for a traffic light infringement plus another for $15 for the admin of fine by Alamo.

So keep checking your card when you return home
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
I_Am_Groot
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Be aware they may charge your card weeks after return for the likes of unpaid tolls, and fines such as Failing to come to a complete stop at lights when turning right on red, or going thro the lights. My son got one at $158 for a traffic light infringement plus another for $15 for the admin of fine by Alamo.

So keep checking your card when you return home
Thank you for this I'll keep that in mind
Old 26 Jun 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
I_Am_Groot
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by bjm34new View Post
I have never had a hold put on a debit card, only a credit card. I maybe wrong but seem to remember its to do with the differences in the way they work.
Thanks for the reply