Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jan 16, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We cruised last year on the Royal which was the largest of the Princess ships we have sailed on. The main complaints were about the lifts in the centre of the ship but we did not find it to be that much of a problem. As already mentioned she is a large ship but we never felt she was that crowded. We loved the international cafe which is open 24 hours a day for snacks, and some very nice 'naughty' cakes. We would definitely sail on her again.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
Would be lovely to hear how you get on. Let me know which destination you like best. Enjoy your cruise.
Off the Regal yesterday and thought it was a beautiful ship. The theatre, and entertainment generally was also very good and the food superb. If they are also the same on the Royal then I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

We did short tours around both St Thomas and St Martin - we are not shoppers and the former in particular has lots of 'opportunities' . Enjoyed seeing them but we were really there for blue skies and sunshine in January . We also went to Princess Cays and that was a nice experience, although not quite as good as Castaway Cay IMO.

Btw, I overheard some people saying the ship was too big and later heard others saying how they preferred the even bigger RCCL ships! We were midship and it seemed fine to me. Most seemed impressed.
Old 1 Feb 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

So nice to hear that you had a lovely time and thank you for the feedback.
Beginning to look forward to the cruise now - countdown decreasing rapidly.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Ears
VIP Dibber

We've done a couple of cruises on princess emerald - really love this ship - movies under the stars was great, court yard a good meeting place after visiting the theatre, clean ship, friendly staff.. My husbands preferred ship - and were on her again later this year. We've not sailed on the Royal and I know it's larger - but friends have said she is fantastic. Enjoy x
Old 2 Feb 16, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
We've done a couple of cruises on princess emerald - really love this ship - movies under the stars was great, court yard a good meeting place after visiting the theatre, clean ship, friendly staff.. My husbands preferred ship - and were on her again later this year. We've not sailed on the Royal and I know it's larger - but friends have said she is fantastic. Enjoy x
We're on the Emerald in July - been on her twice before - great ship.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 16, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
abbiev
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We did a back to back cruise (20 days) on the Royal Princess last November (eastern and southern Caribbean).
We have been on about a dozen Princess cruises but this was the first on the larger Royal.
The cruise was great - the food and service were exceptional, some of the best of any of the 26 cruises we have been on.
There are some niggles with the design of the ship, some of which are being corrected during a refit later this year. Even though it is a large ship, it never felt crowded. The adults only pool at the front of the ship is very nice.
We are back on the Royal for 21 days in May - Mediterranean, so obviously we don't have any issues.
Let us know if you have any questions about the ship or itinerary.
hi, we are sailing on royal princess in nov, but cant find any info on the refit do you know the dates thanks
abbiev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 16, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by abbiev View Post
hi, we are sailing on royal princess in nov, but cant find any info on the refit do you know the dates thanks
Not really sure but we are back on the Royal again in early May - I'll ask! Just looking at the ship's future sailings, there appears to be a gap late September/early October, that could be it.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 16, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

We also just came back off the Regal Princess after a 7 day Eastern (St Maarten, St Thomas and Princess Cays). Gorgeous ship, great food. Have sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and would recommend Princess.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 16, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Sailed Princess several times and they are ok but prefer RCI as we found the service in the dining rooms better. We would happily sail with either though and have probably done about 5 Princess cruises and 6 RCI on various size ships.

HOWEVER I thought the Royal Princess was an awful ship. The balcony was so tiny we couldn't face the sea and recline as we had to sit up straight and my knees touched the glass (and I am only 5ft2!), the cabin was small, deck and pool space was too small for the size of the ship and the walkway is novel once and I felt sorry for the poor people with balconies underneath.

Bathroom was tiny and the toilet roll holder was so badly positioned the cabin staff just leave the toilet roll next to the sink!

No central stairwell led to long queues at the lifts (we are quite fit and didn't mind the walk to either end for stairs but lots of people struggled), theatre seating was small with little legroom and no way for the waiters to get to seats and not big enough for ship.

Other Princess ships have a nice mid sized bar/entertainment space but on the Royal it has been changed to a tiny TV Studio thing.

There is no outside promenade area lower down in the ship, just a small area where you an step outside, I like sitting quietly near sea level spotting dolphins etc but not possible.

I could go on but you can gather I didn't like it!:angry: I had taken my mum on a spacial trip after she recovered from surgery and I was so disappointed I just wanted to get home. I had another cruise booked on the Princess in the Caribbean for later in the year but I phoned Princess when I got home and cancelled it, we won't sail with Princess in the Med at the minute as they only have the Royal there.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 16, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread