Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Oct 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Hi, I am well thanks- hope you are, too. I am only aware of British Airways offering direct flights at this time. I thought American Airlines did as well, and when I double-checked that info just now it showed a direct flight, but said it was operated by British Airways. So, yes- just BA.
Thanks Aims for confirming. Indirect via JFK looking likely for us then🙂
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Thanks Aims for confirming. Indirect via JFK looking likely for us then🙂
You’re welcome! I’ve never understood why there aren’t more airlines flying direct here.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Aims View Post
You’re welcome! I’ve never understood why there aren’t more airlines flying direct here.
Very true Aims. Then more people could enjoy the landing in the middle of the city, watching people in buildings blowing froth off their evening coffee.
BA direct flights generally quite expensive compared to flights to LAX.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by UncleLatch View Post
Very true Aims. Then more people could enjoy the landing in the middle of the city, watching people in buildings blowing froth off their evening coffee.

That made me laugh! It is a bit of a thrill ride landing in San Diego LOL

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I really love this sticky and reccomend it whenever I can. It made the planning of my own California vacation so much easier.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I really love this sticky and reccomend it whenever I can. It made the planning of my own California vacation so much easier.
Wow, thank you CFB! 😊 This really started my morning off with a smile. It means a lot to know how much this thread has helped you out, and I appreciate that you recommend it to others looking for info- you’re the best! 😃 xx

Old 6 Jan 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
billybadknees
Helping Minnie

Loads of questions!

Hi Aims

You were very helpful last time we went to San Diego and we’re getting itchy feet so we reckon it’s time to go back again!

1. We stayed at the Homewood Suites near the airport / Liberty Station. We like suites, is this still a good one to go for? We liked being able to walk to the restaurants etc.
2. Can you recommend the safari park? We did the zoo last time.
3. We like outlet shopping. Is Carlsbad ok to go to? We were wary of going to the one near the border.
4. We will probably fly in and out of LA. What are the seaside places like between LA and SD? Fancied a night on the coast somewhere.
5. Boat trips for whale watching etc. Is there one you can recommend? We are looking to go in August 2020.

I’m sure we’ll have loads more questions but we’re in the early planning stages! And of course, we’ll be going to a Padres game!
billybadknees is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by billybadknees View Post
Hi Aims

You were very helpful last time we went to San Diego and we’re getting itchy feet so we reckon it’s time to go back again!

1. We stayed at the Homewood Suites near the airport / Liberty Station. We like suites, is this still a good one to go for? We liked being able to walk to the restaurants etc.
2. Can you recommend the safari park? We did the zoo last time.
3. We like outlet shopping. Is Carlsbad ok to go to? We were wary of going to the one near the border.
4. We will probably fly in and out of LA. What are the seaside places like between LA and SD? Fancied a night on the coast somewhere.
5. Boat trips for whale watching etc. Is there one you can recommend? We are looking to go in August 2020.

I’m sure we’ll have loads more questions but we’re in the early planning stages! And of course, we’ll be going to a Padres game!

Hi, I do remember talking with you about your first trip to San Diego. I'm so glad you are planning to come back here again! I'd be glad to try to help answer your questions- you asked some good ones.

1. I still like the Homewood Suites as a good suites hotel. For something comparable in features, there is also a chain called the Residence Inn (by Marriott). There is a fairly new Residence Inn in the downtown area that you could take a look at here: marriott/hotels/hote...room-container It's right on the bayfront and much closer to downtown, if that appeals to you. However, I really prefer the Liberty Station area personally- it has the advantage of being close to all the action of downtown, but just far enough outside of it to be more peaceful and quiet . And as you know from staying there previously, there are a lot of places to walk to for food there- and they keep adding new restaurants.

2. I do recommend the Safari Park Since you have already been to the Zoo, I think it's definitely worth it to check out the Safari Park. I really enjoy it myself, there is a much different layout and atmosphere from the Zoo. There aren't as many exhibits and it has a more laid-back, open feel...it's located in a mostly rural, back-country area so there are a lot of open spaces. It does take awhile to get to from San Diego- it's about 40 minutes from downtown. One thing I should caution you on though...since you are planning an August visit, it does get very hot at the Safari Park in the summer. In August, the temps can easily get into the 90's on average in that area. I would suggest getting there first thing in the morning when the park opens (9 am) and seeing as much as you can in the first few hours. Ride the park's safari tram first thing, since it's a bit of a hike to get to the tram from the park entrance- in the summer months, it's best to do that kind of walking in the morning. Wear good walking shoes, bring hats and sunscreen and bottled water- you are allowed to bring in your own food and drinks. If you need any other advice or help regarding the Safari Park, ask me anytime. I am a Zoo member and I am at both parks every month.

3. Carlsbad's outlets are nice and you can find some good buys there, but the outlet at the border is bigger and has more stores. I understand your concern about going that close to the border, I am very cautious myself about that, but I know people who have gone to that outlet and said that it was fine there. Just do what you feel most comfortable with. Carlsbad outlet is very nice, if that's where you prefer to go.

4. There are some very nice seaside towns to stay in between Los Angeles and San Diego. I think some of my favorites are Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and Dana Point.

5. The majority of the whale watching tours happen in the winter months, that's when the largest migration of grey whales takes place, but there are some companies that offer year-round tours. In San Diego, a couple of year-round companies to look into would be San Diego Whale Watch sdwhalewatch/, and for something a little more thrilling, the Adventure R.I.B. Rides adventureribrides/. Newport Beach, which is closer to Los Angeles, also has some good whale watching tours year round, such as Newport Landing newportwhales/

That's awesome that you are looking into attending a Padres game! I go to several games every season, so I'd be happy to lend my knowledge if you have any questions regarding that.

I hope I've helped you out somewhat! Please feel free to ask me any other questions that come along as you go about planning. Always happy to answer

Old 7 Jan 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
billybadknees
Helping Minnie

Wow once again that is an amazing and thorough reply! The Residence Inn looks lovely but I think the downtown prices are a bit out of our reach. Plus we agree, Liberty Station is a great area! Thanks for answering everything, lots of food for thought. We went to a Padres game last time and had a great day. We sat in shade in left field, ate loads and even got on the big screen. I even follow the organist on Twitter 😂! Can’t wait to go back. I’m sure we’ll have more questions in due course...
billybadknees is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by billybadknees View Post
We went to a Padres game last time and had a great day. We sat in shade in left field, ate loads and even got on the big screen. I even follow the organist on Twitter 😂!
I love it! That’s a perfect day at the ballpark! 😃👍 I totally wasn’t aware the organist had a Twitter page though 😄