Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
iPotato
Proud to wear my Ears

Disney buying Fox - What does this mean for Universal?

business-standard/ar...2000250_1.html

I wonder what this means for Simpsons at Universal

Has anyone heard any rumours?
iPotato is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

They’ll license it out just like the marvel stuff until they want it themselves. It’ll be years before Disney do anything with the fox stuff in parks, if they even bother to do anything at all.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

The Simpsons is a dying franchise. Most people are surprised its still going since their episodes have become increasingly silly. I doubt there will be any interest in Disney doing anything other than receive their royalties.
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If the worst came to the worst I'm sure Universal will just retheme it.
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

I think Disney will leave simpsons to Universal for however long it's licensed to Universal, and perhaps even extend it. Disney aren't going to be adding simpsons to their theme parks, it is becoming less and less popular and it wouldn't fit in- except maybe at hollywood studios and they already have a lot of expansion plans for HS. Also there is no point putting money into something guests have already seen, it won't draw new guests to the resort and thats their bottom line.

I think the marvel attractions at Universal are in more danger, despite the agreement that Universal Orlando be allowed to keep certain Marvel characters and themes. It would make sense for Disney to be looking at buying these rights off Universal, considering they are probably itching to build a marvel land and just don't have the space in California where they own the rights.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Nothing, Disney can't touch any characters ( Marvel) or those associated with them that Universal are currently using- hence the reason they can have a Marvel Land at other Disney parks but not WDW- it's also a Lifetime thing so not something that will change anytime soon & if you are Universal I don't think there's enough money in the world to buy it back!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Closing on the Fox deal has less to do with the parks, and everything to do with content. Launching Disney+ puts them directly in competition with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple. Disney (with Disney + Pixar + Marvel + Lucasfilm) already had a very strong library; but now with Fox properties they can add even more.

Eventually there will no doubt be spillover into the parks, but I'm guessing the primary focus is on delivering monetized digital content to as many consumers as possible.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Nothing, Disney can't touch any characters ( Marvel) or those associated with them that Universal are currently using- hence the reason they can have a Marvel Land at other Disney parks but not WDW- it's also a Lifetime thing so not something that will change anytime soon & if you are Universal I don't think there's enough money in the world to buy it back!
SD
I don't know, I think Universal will hold out for the big bucks and when the offer is finally enough they'll take it. Disney is itching to build more marvel attractions and are struggling with the fact the can only use secondary characters in WDW, like guardians.

Combined with the fact Universal is very restricted on what it can use- only the comic book versions of the marvel characters which are dated and not all recognised now by children- and the attractions are becoming dated and will eventually either shut or have to be updated, which will cost them a lot of money. The Hulk could easily be rethemed, and spiderman could become tied to a different property if needed. Doom Falls could easily be re-themed as well. Seems like it will happen eventually.

Disney are building a marvel 'land' in Paris and that's probably a bit of a test to see how well it performs and design some attractions.

If they could get Marvel rights back I know they would. Seems like a matter of time and how much money disney are willing to part with.

Give it about 5 years and we'll see. Disney will be riding a high from Star Wars for a while but I know Marvel is probably were they want to go next.

Edited at 03:48 PM.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Give it about 5 years and we'll see. Disney will be riding a high from Star Wars for a while but I know Marvel is probably were they want to go next.
From what I read this morning, part of this deal enables Disney to start introducing additional characters (like X-Men, Fantastic Four and even Deadpool) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The MCU is HUGE business for Disney these days.

Maybe if we all hope and wish hard enough there will be a 5th gate in the future devoted to the Marvel Universe!
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
From what I read this morning, part of this deal enables Disney to start introducing additional characters (like X-Men, Fantastic Four and even Deadpool) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The MCU is HUGE business for Disney these days.

Maybe if we all hope and wish hard enough there will be a 5th gate in the future devoted to the Marvel Universe!
I believe it could happen! I think when they do start doing Marvel things they will want to go full in- not counting the Guardian's coaster of course! I think they probably will want to have custody of the other avengers before then, but who knows? After endgame we are looking set to have a knew set of avengers for phase four, and I believe most if not all of them (other then spiderman) will be owned by Disney- maybe this is a long game and a new land or park will be based on these new avengers.

Also consider that Universal is looking set to announce a third gate in Orlando. They recently acquired a lot of land, so it could be a good time for a shake up at Universal as well- and they probably would welcome some Disney money to help fund these new projects.

That's just me spitballing

Edited at 04:04 PM.