Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 28 Sep 17, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Would anyone recommend the DCL transatlantic cruise?

I'm just about over our Fantasy cruise being cancelled by the hurricane, and with Disney offering 25% off our next cruise, we're trying to find something exciting...would anyone recommend the Dover to NY sailing? I know it's not been done on that specific route before.

We can't seem to get our usual verandah room as they're all sold out 😩 Has anyone done a long cruise in an ocean view room on DCL?

I've never researched the Magic ship or any transatlantic sailings so forgive me for all the questions (we need to book asap to make use of the offer) but is September sunbathing weather in the Atlantic? All I know about that particular crossing i got from watching Titanic 😂

Thanks so much! O x
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 17, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We did the transatlantic last year in an ocean room and it was fine, we stayed deck 5 so it was easy to get to deck 4 for a bit of fresh air. We found lots of cancellations closer to the time so I'm sure your could get a verandah closer to the time, but the weather was cooler as we headed to canada so we were glad we didn't have one as it wouldn't have had much use (but would have been amazing coming into New York).

Weather to ponta Delgada was great (lovely port as well) then it really did cool off but we had a great time. Didn't travel this time but the itinerary was affected by hurricane season and they had to cancel the Canadian port and docked in New York a day early.

We had an amazing time and it's really good value for money.
Old 28 Sep 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by pennycrayon View Post
We did the transatlantic last year in an ocean room and it was fine, we stayed deck 5 so it was easy to get to deck 4 for a bit of fresh air. We found lots of cancellations closer to the time so I'm sure your could get a verandah closer to the time, but the weather was cooler as we headed to canada so we were glad we didn't have one as it wouldn't have had much use (but would have been amazing coming into New York).

Weather to ponta Delgada was great (lovely port as well) then it really did cool off but we had a great time. Didn't travel this time but the itinerary was affected by hurricane season and they had to cancel the Canadian port and docked in New York a day early.

We had an amazing time and it's really good value for money.
Ahh thank you for that...we made so much use of our verandah last time (we aren't group participation kind of people so classes and quizzes are wasted on us and Bear doesn't drink so we don't tend to visit the bars on board either!) so I was worried we'd really miss it on such a long cruise but if its colder than I doubt we'd see much of it anyway!

I didn't consider the affects of hurricane season on this itinerary but the dates place it right in the middle

Oh I'm so stuck on what to do! After the discount and us using what's left of our Fantasy refund towards it, we only need to find another $1000 which is nothing really for a cruise like this. I might defer this to his Lordship, I don't think I can make a decision!
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 17, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We're not quiz people or drinkers either, but there was plenty to and it was so relaxing!
Old 28 Sep 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Haha im glad to hear we aren't alone, I feel awful saying it but I don't mean it in a snotty way...we just want to spend time with each other and not a big group of strangers, however lovely they may be!

I've just spotted the Panama Canal one for October so now I'm really torn!

DCL is going to bankrupt me I can sense it
Old 28 Sep 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

done 2 TA on DCL both inside cabins as we pretty much only sleep in there as find there's so much to do!
Loved our DCL PC one too - especially as we had extra sea days due to weather - only made 2 out of the 4 ports inside cabin again
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I would personally do the PC if you want warmer weather, or the WBTA if you don't mind what you get. But bear in mind, that hurricanes can curtail any cruise plans on that side of the Atlantic between Aug and Nov.

We do the WBTA's every year and have just got back from the 2017 one .. the weather was amazing if a little windy on top deck (but not as bad a Fuerteventura!)

We had one rolling night where the waves were obviously quite big .. we found it funny, others not apparently!

We missed one port this year due to Hurricane Jose but we docked in
NYC one day early and most people were happy with that I believe.

We've cancelled from next years WBTA as the ports are places we've been to before, but we're doing the PC in April which includes Castaway Cay.
Old 3 Oct 17, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I would personally do the PC if you want warmer weather, or the WBTA if you don't mind what you get. But bear in mind, that hurricanes can curtail any cruise plans on that side of the Atlantic between Aug and Nov.

We do the WBTA's every year and have just got back from the 2017 one .. the weather was amazing if a little windy on top deck (but not as bad a Fuerteventura!)

We had one rolling night where the waves were obviously quite big .. we found it funny, others not apparently!

We missed one port this year due to Hurricane Jose but we docked in
NYC one day early and most people were happy with that I believe.

We've cancelled from next years WBTA as the ports are places we've been to before, but we're doing the PC in April which includes Castaway Cay.
Ahhh Bats you'll never guess what we've just booked...PC in April 💃🏻 Can't believe it. Only got an inside cabin though so I hope we don't get too cabin fevery on such a long cruise. How does the Wonder compare to Dream/Fantasy? It's a lot older, right? I'm sad there won't be an interactive porthole in our room!

So excited, just need to figure out some flights!
Old 4 Oct 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Joa and Onion2803

just let you know that PC is awesome... I would love to do it again...
I am sure you will enjoy it...

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by onion2803 View Post
Ahhh Bats you'll never guess what we've just booked...PC in April 💃🏻 Can't believe it. Only got an inside cabin though so I hope we don't get too cabin fevery on such a long cruise. How does the Wonder compare to Dream/Fantasy? It's a lot older, right? I'm sad there won't be an interactive porthole in our room!

So excited, just need to figure out some flights!
No way!
Look at Norwegian for flights, they are cheapest right now. We booked Virgin but we had some miles to use.
There are 2 FB groups for this cruise, the one with 'planning' in the title is the better one in my opinion. The other one (the first one) got their shirt tails in a big old fluff because someone dared to organise an activity without asking permission from the admin!
Unbelievable, so they just went and made a new group which is very welcoming, very friendly and you can organise stuff if you want! PM me if you can't find it and I can add you somehow.
Joa

Originally Posted by scottishwee35 View Post
Joa and Onion2803

just let you know that PC is awesome... I would love to do it again...
I am sure you will enjoy it...

Scottishwee35
Cheers Deborah, we can't wait. It's one of a few itineraries we haven't done and even better that it has Castaway in there!