Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Mar 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
there are no rights in smoking...
Exactly right, it killed both my mum and dad
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I'm a non smoker and think your view is selfish and narrowminded..their 'habit' is an addiction and if they stick to designated smoking areas what harm does it do to non smokers? I never went in the designated smoking areas so I was never poisoned.
Unless you're someone who chose to sit in one of the smoking areas I don't see how it would affect you to be honest.
Not narrow minded - I remember smelling the smoke from the smoking area near the people mover for example... If people want to poison themselves that is fine - but when it effects my young family I get annoyed because I care. Do you not?
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Great news but needs to be policed well.

In my experience most (not all) smokers I know are selfish and if they decide they need a smoke then nothing else matters to them so will happily light up anywhere they think they can get away with it.
Disney are really hot on things like this - I know from experience. They will enforce it
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
Not narrow minded - I remember smelling the smoke from the smoking area near the people mover for example... If people want to poison themselves that is fine - but when it effects my young family I get annoyed because I care. Do you not?
Since the designated areas,no I have never ever been bothered about smoking in the parks..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

My family are non smokers so obviously I am, personally, pleased about this.

However, I hope it won't make some smokers (not all! ) flout the rules and just chance it, smoking everywhere, which will be worse. I can't see CMs being able to police it all efficiently...

Plus, smoking here there and everywhere is likely to bring rise to some degree of disharmony and conflict if non smokers challenge the smokers. Not what you need in a crowded theme park when tempers may be already frayed. At least in smoking areas most smokers stuck to the rules.
Makes you wonder if there were enough complaints of people smoking outwith these areas to ban it altogether?

I'm not looking forward to walking through the concentrated clouds of stink if they are near the entrance either. Again, worse than the designated smoking areas. I hope they site the smoking areas away from the actual entrances.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I love the comment that alcohol doesn't impact on others , ask any Women's refuge or Police officer which leads to violence. Personally I'd rather walk past a smoking area than a bunch of drunks from a safety point of view. I've watched a forty two year old lovely woman die from alcohol induced liver failure , it didn't just hurt her, it devastated those who loved her too. I'd genuinely love to see alcohol as vilified as smoking has become , I believe it's overall far more damaging to society than considerate smoking which hurts no one but the smoker. A&E departments aren't choked up on weekend nights with those who had one cigarette too many after all. Domestic violence isn't generally triggered when a spouse comes home after one too many cigarettes with their mates !
Both drinking and smoking can cause problems but smoking is controlled to protect those who don't want to be impacted by it ... I don't understand why alcohol can't be controlled in the same way ( and nothing makes me madder than when someone is "unlucky" to be caught for drink driving ... since when is it unlucky to be punished for deliberately endangering others ?)

<Cue the panic attacks at the thought of limiting the Prosecco ... I'm not saying ban it (even though it'd be better for you) I'm saying treat it like smoking and send it back into specific areas ... like pubs and ditch children's licences for pubs so children aren't exposed to it and don't grow up with the assumption that alcohol isn't a choice but an essential... bit like smoking really >. It's all about respecting the choices of others isn't it ?

Edited at 02:18 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m glad Disney are implementing this, and including vaping. Smoke from cigarettes and the strong flavours of vapes set off a migraine, which includes headaches and blurred vision, which can last for hours. (Other strong smells can also set me off, candles, petrol, walking past Lush).
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
I was just talking about this, I can see this causing more problems than it will solve.
1. People will still try and sneak a cheeky smoke down a footpath or behind a building.
2. The smoking areas are to be outside the park so I'm assuming people will have to leave the park to smoke and then re-enter? So, the gates will get busier than ever.
3. People will blatantly ignore the ban and smoke in non designated areas. At least, at the moment, it's confined.
4. Some will stop going altogether or leave part way through the day. Whilst this won't affect ticket revenue, they will lose out on sales of food and drink.

I'm not sure this is their best idea...

I agree I think this will be a cause more problems than it fixes
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I love the comment that alcohol doesn't impact on others , ask any Women's refuge or Police officer which leads to violence. Personally I'd rather walk past a smoking area than a bunch of drunks from a safety point of view. I've watched a forty two year old lovely woman die from alcohol induced liver failure , it didn't just hurt her, it devastated those who loved her too. I'd genuinely love to see alcohol as vilified as smoking has become , I believe it's overall far more damaging to society than considerate smoking which hurts no one but the smoker. A&E departments aren't choked up on weekend nights with those who had one cigarette too many after all. Domestic violence isn't generally triggered when a spouse comes home after one too many cigarettes with their mates !
Both drinking and smoking can cause problems but smoking is controlled to protect those who don't want to be impacted by it ... I don't understand why alcohol can't be controlled in the same way ( and nothing makes me madder than when someone is "unlucky" to be caught for drink driving ... since when is it unlucky to be punished for deliberately endangering others ?)
why do smokers always bring up alcohol as justification for what they do? Smoking kills people - it may not do it quickly but it does kill and it's a painful horrible death. I for one am so glad Disneyworld is banning it and I am sure I am not alone.
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The smoking area at typhoon lagoon was right behind the kids area, horrendous planning by Disney on that front.

The alcohol/ smoking argument is different levels of danger to other people. People smoking directly next to someone causes secondary smoke inhalation, someone drinking next to me isn't going to always have an adverse development on my health, yes some people that are blind drunk may cause problems but not 100% like smoking next to someone does
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread