Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Sep 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
What do you think will happen if it does all go badly and people have flights cancelled? Do you think other companies will put on more flights to soak up the trade or will they just put flight prices up and make money that way?

We’re not going til next August but we got cheaper flights with TC , less than £600 each when virgin was over £800 each. For 6 of us it’s a bit of an extra to have to pay!
I can only speak from our personal experience of Travel City Direct back in Sept 2008.

We had a holiday booked with them for the following November and I heard on the radio on my way to work that they'd gone bust. Joan rebooked a holiday for the same dates with Virgin before 8 am at very little extra cost. By 10am that same morning VS flights had increased.

We got our money back from our CC. We were very lucky though because at that stage we'd only paid a deposit and the balance was due a week or so later.

Mick
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What do you think will happen if it does all go badly and people have flights cancelled? Do you think other companies will put on more flights to soak up the trade or will they just put flight prices up and make money that way?

We’re not going til next August but we got cheaper flights with TC , less than £600 each when virgin was over £800 each. For 6 of us it’s a bit of an extra to have to pay!
It isn't as simple as just putting on extra flights - points to consider are slots at airports, spare aircraft, crew rosters and much more besides.

Lets hope this awful situation is settled as soon as possible for all concerned.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Pottery
Imagineer

If your tickets are part of a package you can argue yes. I did in 2008 with CAA. but things might have changed since then.
Pottery is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
florida gaz
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
Am I right in thinking I can only claim my hotel and flights through ATOL and would lose what I’ve paid for all my tickets? (I don’t have ESF on my Insurance)
I may be wrong, but ATOL should cover the cost of your flights and accom, and your card company should cover the price of your tickets.
1999 MIC Lakefront (Ramada), 2000 Quality Inn Intl (Rosen Inn), 2001 Quality Inn Plza (Rosen Pnt), 2002 Wyndham & Tradewinds Sandpiper St. Petes, 2003 Quality Inn Plza (Rosen Pnt) & Tradewinds Sandpiper St. Petes, 2004 Best Western (Avanti), 2004 Wyndham & Hilton Clearwater, 2005 Homewood Suites & Tradewinds Sirata St. Petes, 2006 Eagle Point Villa Kissimmee, 2008 The Luxor Las Vegas, 2010,2011,2012..and 2020! Enclave Suites.
florida gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida gaz View Post
I may be wrong, but ATOL should cover the cost of your flights and accom, and your card company should cover the price of your tickets.
Thank you that’s reassuring, I thought I’d just lose what I’d paid for the tickets.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

To stu and other moderators is there any chance as this is an unusual situation that you set something up where only you guys can put actual factual information for the folk who are affected by this situation just wondering
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
To stu and other moderators is there any chance as this is an unusual situation that you set something up where only you guys can put actual factual information for the folk who are affected by this situation just wondering
That’s actually a really good idea!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida gaz View Post
Other companies may put on more flights but I would hate to see how much they'll charge!
The good VH deal I got for early next year has already doubled in price just since yesterday! So, unfortunately the other companies will use this to jump at any chance to inflate their prices to make a quick gain knowing demand will be there!
Bad News.
I’ve just been looking on virgin and the only flights I can see on the same date we fly are for £1900! I thought over £800 was bad!
I hope it all gets sorted! When are we likely to know?
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

If Thomas Cook do fold, which sadly seems likely at the moment, then other airlines cannot magic up extra flights - certainly not using their own fleet of aircraft which will already be highly utilised (a plane makes no money when on the ground).

Yes, airlines can "wet-lease" in aircraft, but they need the slots to operate them. Looking at direct flights to Orlando, Gatwick in particular is pretty full so slots there are hard to come by. If TC does fold, then capacity becomes available, but do remember slots are time & aircraft restricted (i.e. a short-haul Mediterranean destination slot pair is not suitable for a long-haul destination turnaround).

I do hope Thomas Cook don't fold - not least because of the number of people whose jobs will be affected. Holidaymakers should be safe money wise as long as they booked a package holiday / paid with a credit card / have holiday insurance with end supplier failure cover. If you're away on a package holiday, the CAA / ATOL scheme will get you home.

And for the record, I have used Thomas Cook in the past for accommodation only bookings as they were the cheapest for our resort of choice. Our November accommodation was booked via eBookers as they were cheapest this time round.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
florida gaz
Earning More Ears

I’ve just been looking on virgin and the only flights I can see on the same date we fly are for £1900! I thought over £800 was bad!
I hope it all gets sorted! When are we likely to know?
Its a fluid situation, anything can happen by the hour now. But my guess will be Monday at latest.
1999 MIC Lakefront (Ramada), 2000 Quality Inn Intl (Rosen Inn), 2001 Quality Inn Plza (Rosen Pnt), 2002 Wyndham & Tradewinds Sandpiper St. Petes, 2003 Quality Inn Plza (Rosen Pnt) & Tradewinds Sandpiper St. Petes, 2004 Best Western (Avanti), 2004 Wyndham & Hilton Clearwater, 2005 Homewood Suites & Tradewinds Sirata St. Petes, 2006 Eagle Point Villa Kissimmee, 2008 The Luxor Las Vegas, 2010,2011,2012..and 2020! Enclave Suites.
florida gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List