Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jul 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

We were club Europe at T5 on Sunday 3 July. 30 mins to check in. 15 mins for fast track security. My daughter flew T5 on Saturday 9th Heathrow said to be there 3 hours before then refused to let her check in till 2 hours before flight (economy). Security took her 45 mins
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

They refused to let my daughter check in till 2 hours before departure despite them saying on website to turn up 3 hours. Just meant people were clogging up T5 pre check in
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

I'll take a tent, camping stove, paracetamol, and a bag of patience then 😩

Are they just not paying enough to attract new staff? Or they just can't afford new staff? Surely to recruit and start on-the-job training (where they can actually help) would take less than 3 months. But yet this is still going on 🤔
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Is this just Heathrow or are other UK airports affected... Gatwick for example?
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
I'll take a tent, camping stove, paracetamol, and a bag of patience then 😩

Are they just not paying enough to attract new staff? Or they just can't afford new staff? Surely to recruit and start on-the-job training (where they can actually help) would take less than 3 months. But yet this is still going on 🤔
I live locally to Heathrow and jobs pop up on my Facebook all the time. The rates of pay aren’t good, ie. up to 25K which includes shift allowance and on top of that you pay for you own parking/transport. Training might not take too long, but getting permission to work airside can take months.
Jaybeez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Having similar issues in Dublin airport, pay is only a little over minimum wage and are only guaranteed 20 hours a week, Dublin is now the 2nd most expensive to live in Europe
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
I live locally to Heathrow and jobs pop up on my Facebook all the time. The rates of pay aren’t good, ie. up to 25K which includes shift allowance and on top of that you pay for you own parking/transport. Training might not take too long, but getting permission to work airside can take months.

The pay they are offering is truly appalling and there is no way they will recruit and retain unless they pay a heck of a lot more . Clearance/vetting can be accelerated but again it costs more to fastrack that (and on a case by case basis )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
Makes me realize how broken our economic system is in general. It's a highly valued job much in demand. Make it attractive to get the staff in and start the training.

Pay more. Better the customer experience. Make people want to fly from Heathrow again. Bring more business and more airlines in. Something doesn't add up and I suspect as usual the problem is greed at the top?

Also, speed up the process of getting airside approval.

Same with many many other jobs. The problem will continue until people are paid their worth and the greed pyramid is flattened. Probably a bit overly philosophical 😂
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Is this just Heathrow or are other UK airports affected... Gatwick for example?
Certainly Gatwick hence why there are so many flight cancellations form there

City is hardly effected but don’t really in same league at other two

London is a very expensive place to live and many workers will have to travel to the airports - the working conditions obviously not that attractive when likes of saw Tesco and John Lewis are fully staffed and working effectively - go work for your local store , better rates of pay and no unsociable shifts !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I wonder if some terminals will be affected more than others ?
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List