Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 Aug 22, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
DOUBLE TROUBLE IN THE DISNEY AND UNIVERSAL BUBBLE. August'22. Travel Day!

DOUBLE TROUBLE IN THE DISNEY AND UNIVERSAL BUBBLE. Travel Day!

AUGUST 7th LONDON GATWICK TO TAMPA
5 NIGHTS CABANA BAY FAMILY SUITE
5 NIGHTS ROYAL PACIFIC RESORT STANDARD ROOM
12 NIGHTS DISNEY ALL STAR MUSIC ADJOINING ROOMS
AUGUST 29th TAMPA TO LONDON GATWICK

The Cast

Me: George:46
DW: Kelly:45
DD1: Evie Mae:15
DD2:Lily Belle:13

I think all of us had a terrible nights sleep. Pretty normal with all the excitement and nerves about the next day. I went to bed pretty early but the dogs were barking at 12.30am. I think I managed another 45 minutes sleep around 3.30am.

I was up about 5am with the dogs doing a few bits and pieces. Everyone was downstairs ready to go about 6.45am. We spent sometime mocking Evie for being such a dufas. She genuinely thought you couldn’t wear a hat on a plane as the pilots didn’t like it. Figure that one out.

A friend was collecting us at 7.20am. We spent some time with the dogs before putting them in their beds and then going to wait outside at 7.15am. The dogs were to be collected by the lady who looks after them a little later which she duly did for their little holiday.

The friend collecting us was dead on time and we arrived at Gatwick South about 7.45am. I had pre sorted the payment for drop off in advance by registering his car. What a con they charge you for drop offs

We made our way into the heaving South Terminal. Again the Easy Jet area was very, very busy. We headed upstairs to the departure area and security. I had also pre paid for Premium Security. This was £5 per person which I think is a wise investment in this day and age. It was very busy in the regular security. There was still a little wait in premium but only 10 minutes.

I took Evie while Kelly was in charge of Lily as we placed all our electricals and liquids in the tubs to be scanned. I hated this next bit. Evie had her cane and and sunflower lanyard but she was still stopped for extra checks. She was given a proper search, shoes removed, cane swabbed etc all the while I looked on to observe. I was hoping Kelly and Lily were keeping an eye on our bags. Lily did a great job grabbing our stuff. Evie was really unhappy after the search as it took awhile.

We took a few minutes to get sorted and the headed down through to the duty free and shops pretty sure Evie would be dining out on this story for a few years.

It was fairly busy but not as bad as I was fearing and we managed to get some food in Boots easily enough.

Once done we still had about 45 minutes before we could go in to the No 1 Lounge. I had greatly overestimated the amount of time needed but I’d rather be early than late. We took a seat and I toyed with the idea of getting some aftershave but it the end I couldn’t be bothered.

So far I think I’d taken out passports and boarding passes about 15 times and then putting them away again. When I look around I see know one else having such drama with their stuff. Always me.

Our time for the No 1 Lounge came around fairly quickly. We checked in bang on time at 9.20am. There was a queue ahead of us but most of these were turned away.

Once inside it was pretty quiet and we found a table easily enough. We didn't waste too much time in going and getting some food. I waited at the table while Kelly took the girls to get the hot items. These were sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, beans, tomato and Tata tots.

This was all pretty good although the bacon was pretty well done. The big issue was there were no knives anywhere. Staff just shrugged and said some were being washed up now. Useful.

Other options included cereals, yoghurt and some fruit. Not much in the way of pastries which was a little disappointing. They did have some scones and pancakes.

There was a full bar, coffee machines and a selection of juices and soft drinks.

Has it been worth it? I think it was about £120 for the four of us so in that regard then no. It's definitely understaffed and the tables are full of old plates. But it's a nice place to relax before a flight as the terminal is very busy.

At 11.10am it came up on the board that our flight was boarding at at Gate 27. We headed off straight away rushing for no reason but then so was everyone else.The gate was miles away!

It was fairly busy in that area and some other flights boarding around us. Of course our flight the loudspeaker sounded like they were underwater and I couldn’t hear anything. Evie’s hearing is incredible, she could hear a mouse fart a mile away so told us they were boarding soon. Groups 1 to 6. We were group 7. Of course we were.

In truth in didn’t take long and we were on the plane by about 12 noon scheduled to depart at 12.20pm. Overhead storage around us was tight which was a little annoying but we sorted ourselves out. We were sat in a the middle row of four.

The flight took off a little late but it was scheduled to arrive about 40 minutes earlier then we were expecting which was a bonus. Take off was horrible. Really up and down with turbulence until we got some altitude. It’s been awhile due to Covid since we’d flown and I’d forgotten how much I hate it. Kelly’s face must have been a picture as even a one of the Cabin Crew asked if she was ok! That seatbelt sign going off is the greatest feeling in earth. It means we’re ok. I really want to shout that out one day. “We’re ok folks, we’re ok!”

Shortly after take off we got the mandatory pretzels. This packet may now live in the bottom of the seat pocket depending on how well the plane gets cleaned. Not very popular with us.

As soon as switched on my laptop I knew I was going to struggle to watch anything. I always download loads of stuff to watch but never watch anything. I just stair at the Skymap and played some games on the screen. I couldn’t settle. I’m worse than a toddler but I go to the toilet more. Sometimes I made it to the toilet as well. The flush still terrifies me.

The flight really, really dragged. It felt like the longest flight ever. Nothing wrong with the BA flight by the way. Prefer Virgin but this was fine.

Two of us braved the plane food, two of us didn’t.

It was a choice of I think a vegetarian curry and chicken and mash with mushroom gravy. Both Evie and I went for the latter. Determined to show journalistic fortitude we braved it even though we didn’t want to.

It came with a bread roll that was drier than the Sahara desert, a pot of something that I have no idea what it was, cheese and crackers and a strawberry pudding. To be fair the chicken and mash was shockingly actually ok. Took me by surprise and the pudding was edible as well.

We also brought out the food we had bought earlier from Boots. Both Evie and I went for Chicken and Bacon Caesar Wraps, Lily went for a pasta Salad and Kelly went for Duck wrap. We bought various crisps and accompanying items.

I did try to have a sleep and think I did a couple of times but I jolted myself awake a couple of times after probably 5 minutes when I fell forward a little. I hope no one was watching me.

Various attempts at watching things failed. In the end I put everything away and just watched the skymap.

Later on we were given a basic shortbread biscuit each.

An hour or so before landing we offered either a chicken tikka wrap or a mozzarella and tomato wrap. None of wanted anything but Lily was ready to take one for the team and went for the mozzarella one. She didn’t like it. Is it just me but does the idea of chicken tikka in a wrap sound totally unethical?

So after what seemed like the longest flight ever we touched down safely in Tampa around 4.25pm local time. I think probably 30 minutes earlier than I was expecting which was a good result.

As soon as the cabin crew got up from their seats that was the cue for everyone else to do the same. It didn’t take too long to get off the plane. We were fairly far down the plane and so a lot people were ahead of us but I didn’t feel the need to rush off like at MCO.

It was a fairly short walk to immigration and you could tell it was far calmer than MCO. I think it took us about 35 minutes to get through which wasn’t too bad at all and pretty stress free. Our luggage was lined up nicely waiting for us as well. I was a little nervous about this! I didn’t tell Kelly as she would have had a heart attack but just before leaving the UK I had a look in my iPad to check our luggage location using our Air Tags. They all showed up in different areas of Gatwick! They all made it to Tampa though!

We grabbed a free trolley and made our way out. We had to get a lift up pretty early but this was done quickly. I’ve never been to Tampa airport but it seemed very nice and it was easy to navigate. We had a short monorail like at MCO. We were the Kings of the Monorail on an empty one.

This took us to the main terminal where we had a short walk followed by another lift to another monorail to the car hire. This second monorail was much longer. Be warned. Hold on it’s a quick windy one!

We stopped for a toilet break before heading into Avis to collect the car. Here the ladies encountered the first occasion of the trip but not the last of the big gaps of the toilet door. Mine I encountered someone clearly on the toilet but on his phone at the same time. Gross.

We bypassed the Avis desk down to the garage and the Preferred Area. On the board my name was showing on the kiosk rather than given a bay number which was a little annoying but this only took 5 minutes and we had a car. I decided to pre pay the fuel rather than return full.

The car was a two minute walk away. It was a Chevrolet. It had some noticeable marks on it and bits that had been noted down as damaged which was disappointing. There were no other minivans though. We took pictures to make sure we noted it all.

We loaded up the car. I had everything I neeeded for the drive ready and a big can if Red Bull ready! I sorted out the Android Auto and got Google maps going. It annoyingly said an hour and 40 minutes to Cabana Bay which was longer than I thought. Overall about an hour and 15 minutes after landing we were off. Not too bad. At the exit I made a point about the damage in the car. He walked round the car, noted it all and gave me a slip with the damage noted on it. He also checked my licence and we were then off.

It was a nervous couple of minutes at the start. I had to convince myself I was in the right Lane etc. I also stupidly didn’t check where the lights were. As it turned out I didn’t have them on auto and the fog lights were on. Not done by me but thankfully sorted it quickly. It took a few minutes to get on to the I4 and I relaxed. All fine.

Jinxed it. Off in the distance we saw fork lightening. Squeaky bum time! 30 minutes in the heavens opened. It was horrific. It absolutely poured down. The next 30 minutes were up there the most stressful ever!

I was gripping the steering wheel for dear life! Worst nightmare situation. Tired, unfamiliar roads and car in a Florida thunderstorm!

Thankfully I followed a car ahead that was driving sensibly. There were a few words between me and Kelly, standard travel day tiredness stuff. Thankfully we battled through. It stopped after awhile but was off and in for the rest of the way.

After about an hour and a half we reached the Disney turns offs and it then wasn’t long before we reached the Universal turn off. Thank God! That was not an enjoyable drive!

We reached Cabana Bay.

The drop by the hotel was packed. I couldn’t find anywhere to stop and did one or two illegal turns on the way back around again. I found somewhere outside the lobby. It wasn’t great so the others all stayed in the car while I went to check in.

I was nervous about this after hearing a few horror stories of big queues but at 7.45pm it was fine. I was seen straight away. This did take longer than I thought though. About 15 minutes. I was given a few bits and bobs to do with our Virgin booking, free parking, drinks vouchers and vouchers for rings for the lazy river. A credit card was swiped and my passport checked. She had trouble texting my phone for to give me some info. This took ages and I was getting a little frustrated at this point and just wanted to go.

Eventually all done. I could tell Kelly was a bit grumpy at this point, I was as well so a few more words exchanged but we drove round to our block. It was the Starlight section where we stayed before so we knew the way. Roughly. Stopped at a block to early. More words. Found it. Grabbed our cases. Wrong way to the room. More words! Found it and then in. Fourth floor facing the pool. Great location. Lovely room.

We had a little look around and dumped the cases. We were all really tired but wanted to get something to eat so we headed to the food court.

I was hoping to spend a bit more time perusing the menu and options but it was a case of getting in the shortest line possible an doing the quickest option. It was pretty busy so this turned out to be the Deli.

I also grabbed one refil mug for the length of stay. Around $18 I think.

Both girls went for the Turkey and provolone sandwich. It came with a choice of side which was, fruit, salad or chips(crisps). Both really enjoyed them but not so keen on the chips.

Kelly went for the Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich with chips. Loved the sandwich but again not the chips.

I went for the beef sandwich. I lost a lot of weight for this holiday so I’m determined not to go from a Frankenfine to a Frankenstein to at least the second week so went for fruit. The sandwich was lovely. So thick that I made a mess!

Lily got a milk and Evie a water and it was about $75 for everything including the refil mug for the length of stay.

I did bring our drinks vouchers to get a drink but that was swiftly ditched as the girls were on their last legs. They didn’t even want to look in the gift shop. They headed back to the room while I went to guest services to pick up a new cap I get sent here from Amazon. This was much cheaper to get sent here rather than to my house as I couldn’t get it in the UK. This was done easily once I he figured out I was saying ‘B’ not ‘P’ when spelling my surname! There was no charge but I gave him a couple of dollars tip.

Once back in the room we did the most lacklustre job of unpacking ever!

We had a little look outside at our fantastic view so happy to be here.

Lily was pretty much asleep at this point. We faffed about for a little and then it was about 10pm before we were all in bed.

The end of a very, very long travel day. Not a bad one though!

Thanks for reading

George

Edited at 12:10 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good travel day apart from driving the I4 during a thunderstorm

Joan
Old 9 Aug 22, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Good travel day. I think I would have to have found somewhere to stop for a coffee till the thunder storm cleared. My nerves wouldn't have been able to stand driving in that. Well done to you. Hotel room looks lovely.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

What a view you have!
I’m sorry your drive was so stressful, that’s not nice at all - I wouldn’t have managed with that! Well done for coping!
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Aaaah you’ve arrived 🙂
I did smile to myself about the many ‘words’ you and Kelly had. It’s always the same for us (we are a family with two teenage girls so very much resonate with your reports). When you wake up that first morning (early! ) it’s the best feeling in the world though. Looking forward to reading more 👍
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Leebie3376
Proud to wear my Ears

Brilliant write up of your travel day. Love your description of your restlessness in the plane - it’s hard to get settled isn’t it! But I happen to love the pretzels 😁DS had the audacity to decline his on our last flight.

Your tales of ‘words’ sounds very familiar indeed 😂no travel is complete without the obligatory bickering!

Your girls are looking so grown up!
Leebie3376 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Ooh that weather looked horrendous Holiday starts proper now - very jealous.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

So glad that you made it back there, I love your travel reports and hope that you and all your family have a wonderful time.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good travel day apart from driving the I4 during a thunderstorm

Joan
Thank you

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Good travel day. I think I would have to have found somewhere to stop for a coffee till the thunder storm cleared. My nerves wouldn't have been able to stand driving in that. Well done to you. Hotel room looks lovely.
Unfortunately when it all kicked off we were on the I4 with nowhere to stop. I definitely would have if elsewhere : Hotel room is good

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
What a view you have!
I’m sorry your drive was so stressful, that’s not nice at all - I wouldn’t have managed with that! Well done for coping!
Initially she put us in a room in the second floor but then changed it as we had trees blocking our view.

Originally Posted by Florida1972 View Post
Aaaah you’ve arrived 🙂
I did smile to myself about the many ‘words’ you and Kelly had. It’s always the same for us (we are a family with two teenage girls so very much resonate with your reports). When you wake up that first morning (early! ) it’s the best feeling in the world though. Looking forward to reading more 👍
Still been plenty more words since travel day

Originally Posted by Leebie3376 View Post
Brilliant write up of your travel day. Love your description of your restlessness in the plane - it’s hard to get settled isn’t it! But I happen to love the pretzels 😁DS had the audacity to decline his on our last flight.

Your tales of ‘words’ sounds very familiar indeed 😂no travel is complete without the obligatory bickering!

Your girls are looking so grown up!
Thank you. They are too grown up! Evie is a coffee drinker!

Originally Posted by vanlou View Post
Ooh that weather looked horrendous Holiday starts proper now - very jealous.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
So glad that you made it back there, I love your travel reports and hope that you and all your family have a wonderful time.
Thank you I’m sure we will have an amazing time
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
princess annie
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We are flying into Tampa for the first time next April, so it’s great to read your experience especially as we will have a our 2 year old after her first flight!

Your girls have grown up so much - proper young ladies now.