Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Aug 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We arrived at Tampa yesterday and had paid for a standard suv. When we arrived at the garage they had nothing in that section so the lady gave us a dodge Durango. I believe this is a full size suv? But not sure. They had a very small area for standard suv.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
robbo21982
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
We arrived at Tampa yesterday and had paid for a standard suv. When we arrived at the garage they had nothing in that section so the lady gave us a dodge Durango. I believe this is a full size suv? But not sure. They had a very small area for standard suv.
It's a Premium Crossover category (for Alamo at least). We had one in 2015 and I loved it. Probably my favourite car of all the ones we've hired in the US
Sept 15 - Rosen Inn @ Pointe | Sept 16 - Caribbean Beach Resort | August 17 - Animal Kingdom Lodge | May 18 - Polynesian Resort | Aug 18 - Clarion Inn at Lake Buena Vista | Aug 19 - Universal's Aventura Hotel | Oct 19 - Clarion Inn at Lake Buena Vista | Aug 21 - Hard Rock & Coronado Springs | Xmas 21 - Polynesian | August 22 - Royal Pacific Resort, Old Key West & Bay Lake Tower
robbo21982 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by robbo21982 View Post
It's a Premium Crossover category (for Alamo at least). We had one in 2015 and I loved it. Probably my favourite car of all the ones we've hired in the US
Exactly the same for us. Upgraded for free a couple of years ago as no Standards in the line. Loved the Durango.
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Chris106
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by katnav View Post

Also the exact same thing happened with us at Tampa last October , only intermediate's in the standard row , so asked at desk and got the keys to a Durango parked nearby.
Chris106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottbedward
I want to go now!

Mobile

Could someone tell me difference between intermediate and standard as have no idea picking up from dollar tampa in Thursday evening
Thanks
Scottbedward is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have had a Ford Edge & A Hyundai Santa Fe the last couple of times.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks for all the replays, not sure how to go. Might wait and see the price difference between a standard and intermediate.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by robbo21982 View Post
The sizing / classes is getting very muddled up. Standard SUV should only be 5 seats (Jeep Grand Cherokee is probably the 'reference' Standard SUV) but there's a whole bunch of cars like Durango and Acadia which have 7 seats but aren't big enough to be Full size.

It Durango really Premium? It used to be pretty well the normal 7 seater full size SUV - we had them a few years on the run. Perhaps Acadia has replaced it as the normal one, they're a bit unique as from late 2017 (I think) models they reduced in size quite a bit. We had a brand-new one from Hertz - nice car, and very well equipped.

We got a Chevy Equinox from Hertz last year - just a 5 seater and relatively basic by Florida hire car standards. Was remarkably economical, which was useful as we did a lot of miles. It did have a wicked blind spot though, so need a bit of care when lane changing. The Acadia had blind spot detection which was brilliant.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List