Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 10 Apr 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Can/should you do DDP without ADRs?

Hi folks,

We're staying onsite for the first 9 nights of our trip in October and for the first time have a dining plan, quick service.

However, looking at some of the restaurants and menus, I do fancy the odd table service meal. Prices are scary though, but for all the difference between ddqs and ddp I reckon with a couple of decent restaurants we'd pretty much have made our money.

Thing is though, I'd hate to be so tied to meal times. For me it would take away some of the fun with being spontaneous, doing your favourite ride one more time, lying another half hour in the sun, etc. I'd hate to be the one to say, sorry, need to leave this queue and get to our adr.

But can you really do the dining plan without advance reservations, do all restaurants, even signature ones, not keep back a certain amount for on the day or walk ups? Ok, when we're out there I would maybe book a day or two in advance or even that morning, but would there be anything of value left?

At this stage I really don't know our plans, which parks we'll be in on which days and so on, the busy day guide isn't even completed yet for when we're going. Also, as you'll see from our countdown, we're within the 180 day window, so worried it might be a waste to upgrade now if there's no chance of getting some bookings.

Basically in a nutshell, has anyone else done the DDP successfully with little or no advance planning?

Thank you

Edited at 10:26 AM.
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think it depends where you want to eat as some you won't get on the day.
I'd book them and cancel them if you change your mind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don't think any keep tables for walk ups. Why would they if they could know in advance how many tables they'd have booked? There will be places with availability though. If you look today you'll see what you can get last minute. We've previously got lunch in MK which we booked that morning on the go. So yes you can do DDP without ADRs but you will need to book the ones you absolutely want to avoid disappointment.
We like to book as it's part of the fun and also we're so indecisive it suits us to have dinner pre planned.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I personally would book a couple you really want to do and then be spontaneous with the rest? As long as you cancel 24 hours in advance then you won't be charged. We usually end up deciding to do something different and cancel a few times, you can go on the app and search what is available for your time on the day or the day before. There is always something available, you may just have to be a bit flexible?
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You can book on the day but walk ups are very hard to get. I recommend looking to see what's available tonight to give you an idea of what will be available on the day. I took his screen shots yesterday for a similar query.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Obviously that's only up to G but you get the idea. There are tables but times are generally late and you can't be choosy about when you eat.
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post

We don't want to be as tied as we were the last time but I'll still be booking 180 days in advance for the ones we really want such as BOG, Cali Grill, Boma, Tusker House etc. I may book more but with a view to either changing nearer the time or cancelling and seeing what's available that same day. I've been keeping an eye on this over the Spring Break, which is busier than when we're going in Oct/Nov and lots of the ones we'd do were available, albeit at less popular times. It depends if you are happy to be flexible about eating times.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We find it easy to fit things around the DDP - it would be more stressful for 5 of us to agree on spec where we want to eat and find somewhere with a table for 5!

You can mix it up a bit - a couple of b'fasts can mean you are ahead of the crowds in a park, and a couple of 2 TS meals means you would have QS meals / snacks as and when on other days.

The main reason we book is coz there are so many places we really want to eat at, so the bit of inflexibility for one bit of the day is for us a small price to pay to make sure we don't miss out. Another advantage is you can have a good break in the park (lunchtime at SciFi) and come out and attack the park again refreshed, where as you might be tired by mid afternoon without that rest.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Mobile

Some great info and advice guys, much appreciated -
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List