Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Feb 18, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Terribly sad, 16 dead mostly students. A terrible loss of life.

My husband was offered work in the US, which we decided wasn't for us. I agree with others on here, I wouldn't feel safe living in a country with so little gun control. I know we go on holiday to the US but I feel it is very different if you live there.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Terribly sad, 16 dead mostly students. A terrible loss of life.

My husband was offered work in the US, which we decided wasn't for us. I agree with others on here, I wouldn't feel safe living in a country with so little gun control. I know we go on holiday to the US but I feel it is very different if you live there.
Now up to 17- so senseless and sad
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

They're at seventeen but predicting more
At one point I'd have gone to live there in a heartbeat
But now with kids I don't think I could ever go and stay I wouldn't ever rest while they were in school
And it won't change
They have a constitutional right to bare arms
And with the arms so freely available they're gonna slip into the hands of disturbed kids
The shooters apparently alive and detained
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
Yet again...another horrific senseless shooting. I love Florida but I have to say I am glad we dont live there I would worry sick about my children being at school. I hope no one has lost their life.

Try London. Not guns but knives. Senseless killings week after week.

We are about to do Route 66 in June. Would you believe we can't ride the first 3 miles from Chicago and have to detour around it. This is because gangs control a suburb to the extent that there can be up to 20 shootings a week. Police advise to avoid the area day or night. You may have seen the programme on TV where Miriam Margoyles visited one of the gangs. They had to get her out of there pretty darn quick. A rival gang was on its way over. 10 minutes after she left, there was a shooting.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This is just heartbreaking, there are no words xx

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
beth21
Excited about Disney

My two grandchildren live in Houston Texas we worry so much about them with these school shootings. When we go there on holiday there we meet the school bus the eldest who is 6 told us one day that they had had a lock down thank god it was a practice, they do these once a month, but they know exactly what to do
So sad that it’s happened again when will they learn x
beth21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

We are about to do Route 66 in June. Would you believe we can't ride the first 3 miles from Chicago and have to detour around it. This is because gangs control a suburb to the extent that there can be up to 20 shootings a week. Police advise to avoid the area day or night. You may have seen the programme on TV where Miriam Margoyles visited one of the gangs. They had to get her out of there pretty darn quick. A rival gang was on its way over. 10 minutes after she left, there was a shooting.
I watched that programme Geoff. A body lying in the street that had just been shot and families just going about their everyday life with kids playing out while the police taped off the area. It is such a regular occurrence on that road that people don’t bat an eyelid. Just horrific.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I know there's a lot behind this, politically, constitutionally, but it's just baffling and shameful that this happens again and again without meaningful action. Shameful.
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

That was a fascinating programme Geoff, a real insight into the US.

I see the shooter has been named as a 19 year old ex-student who had been expelled. Sad to think of all the lives he ruined, including his own.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

So so sad. I’m a head teacher and we had a family join us from the states this September. Dad is American, mum English. Part of their reason for returning was because of the shootings in schools and the children having to do lockdown drills in kindergarten. Although I have a lockdown procedure we don’t practice it with the children as I think it would be far too scary. Some of them find the fire drill scary enough!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List