Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 May 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Kiddlywinks
Excited about Disney

Christmas 2015 Back to Disney Highs and Lows

Oh my, where to even start?!

I'll get the Lows out of the way first I think.

Coming home and the almost missed flight. Awful! Scary!
What could I have done to change it at the time? Nothing.
I'm just grateful we weren't the only family involved, or I'd have thought I'd lost the plot
I'm one of those people that prefers to be 30 mins early than 3 seconds late, so not having any control over what was happening was frustrating.
Having someone on the phone telling us that the driver is there when it was quite obvious they weren't is even worse!
For anyone that has waited at the stops in DS you will know what I mean when I say you can see all around you and there was 1 coach and no blooming taxi's!

What will I be doing differently? Making my own way to the airport or using the magical express!

Not a major low, but, not being able to keep a dining plan due to changing resorts halfway through.

Highs
Wow. So many!
  • The anticipation of what was coming once our booking was confirmed.
  • Planning Fast passes and ADR's - I had so much fun doing this
  • The V Room - such a relaxing start to the holiday, lounges are definitely the way forward from now on
  • Bubble seats - A winner here
  • Seeing the kids (15 & 18) slowly getting Disneyfied
  • Watching their faces light up when seeing their favourite characters, it was like them being 3 again
  • Seeing Pluto on our first day at Chef Mickeys - literally brought tears to my eyes
  • Magical Express - that feeling of 'we've arrived'
  • Staying on site - Being our first time as a family, staying on site was a must for me when booking. I'm so glad we did, as I really felt it enhanced our stay just that little bit more. Being the only driver was hard, so being able to use the onsite transport meant I could relax for much of the time too. Waiting a few minutes for a bus that pretty much stopped outside the door meant it was just as quick, if not quicker, than it was to drive. A huge thumbs up from me
  • All Star Music Resort - cheap, cheerful and definitely the best introduction to being in the Disney bubble right from the start. Would have no problems staying here again, even after staying at CBR.
  • QSDP - loved it, loved it, loved it! Certainly wasn't a case of 'it'll just be burgers' so would have a dining plan next time too. We were all happy with the QSDP and found the portions just right for us.
  • Seeing Magic Kingdom again after 24 years
  • Seeing Epcot through new eyes
  • Seeing Animal Kingdom for the first time, and being able to share the experience with my kids
  • Enjoying the peace and tranquillity being an early bird brings
  • Character breakfasts at Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace - again, a definite must for us on any future visits, really helped get us in the swing of things - not that I needed much help to start with
  • Christmas decorations - amazing
  • Osbourne Lights - ditto
  • Weather - Felt very lucky with the weather, no particularly bad days at all
  • Crowds - I had expected it to be really busy but we found it manageable. Whether that was down to using the busy day guide to plan or not, I can't say having 'winged it' in 92, but we managed to do everything we wanted to do when we wanted to do it, so do feel it helped me to organise our time.
  • Caribbean Beach Resort - A really tranquil place to stay, despite it's size, and again, would have no problems staying here if the opportunity presented itself
  • Memory Maker - so pleased they are including this now as it made such a difference to us. We've really enjoyed seeing the pictures we would have been unable to take ourselves without having to stop someone and ask them to do the honours.
  • WWOHP - need to go back even if it's just to ride Gringotts (Although I'm also looking at booking a 3 night stay next time shhhhhh )

I could go on but I think you get the picture
Far more highs than lows, but I think for me, the biggest high of all happened when we got home.

After life had returned to normal (boo) and Florida was now a memory, a long distant memory lol, we were talking about what our different expectations had been versus what had happened/what we'd enjoyed etc, how they now 'got' why I'd been like a kid at Christmas
DD and DS were then talking about the things they'd like to do 'next time'
I sat and listened to them for a little while, and they started discussing when would be the best time to go. DD had been doing 'research' and discovered it was the big 50th celebrations in 2021/2022 so we 'HAD' to go for that, but we could probably squeeze in another trip in 2018...

For me, with the biggest smile ever on my face, that's a case of : Mission Accomplished

If you've managed to read my trip report this far, thank you, and for those that have commented, a special thanks. Your comments have helped me feel like I'm not just chatting to myself
August 2022 - Disney's 50th for sure
Kiddlywinks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Wow the first time we went was 1992, we've been back 5 times since then, so I can imagine how much everything had changed for you. Glad you all enjoyed it, I think planning the next trip is the only thing that gets you over the sadness of being home
Old 28 May 16, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you very much for taking the time to do your trippieI have really enjoyed reading along. Glad to see you have some more dates pencilled in

Joan
Old 28 May 16, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Kiddlywinks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thank you very much for taking the time to do your trippieI have really enjoyed reading along. Glad to see you have some more dates pencilled in

Joan
Thanks for coming along lol
Yeah, my bank balance isn't too chuffed about it mind

Originally Posted by JellyEllieBean View Post
Wow the first time we went was 1992, we've been back 5 times since then, so I can imagine how much everything had changed for you. Glad you all enjoyed it, I think planning the next trip is the only thing that gets you over the sadness of being home
5 times?! Wow! If only
It hasn't been for the lack of trying trust me lol, whenever I was about to book, something would happen to scupper the whole idea
Even this trip, which was originally planned for 2014, had to be put back due to mums cancer diagnosis

Planning the next one is really helping at the moment that's for sure. Writing the trippy was making me all wistful again
Kiddlywinks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 16, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
hjanea46
slightly serious Dibber

Loved your trip report!

Helen.
hjanea46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 16, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Kiddlywinks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by hjanea46 View Post
Loved your trip report!
Thank you
Old 30 May 16, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Enjoyed reading your summary... glad to read the kids were bitten by that Florida bug. Mine were a 12 year old daughter and a 'too cool for Disney almost 16 years old' son when we first went. I loved that they were both as mesmerised about everything and both as desperate as me to get back.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 16, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Kiddlywinks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Enjoyed reading your summary... glad to read the kids were bitten by that Florida bug. Mine were a 12 year old daughter and a 'too cool for Disney almost 16 years old' son when we first went. I loved that they were both as mesmerised about everything and both as desperate as me to get back.
It's great isn't it? We get our 'babies' back, well, briefly at least
Old 30 May 16, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

A healthy dose of the Disney bug all round, sounds like you had an amazing time.
Old 27 Jun 16, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

What an amazing time you all had. It's so nice to see how much your kids loved Disney 😊 happy planning for your next trip x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List