Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Mar 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i work from home 2, occasionally 3 days a week most of the time, have done for the last couple of years now since they closed down our local datacentres and moved them to germany and the US, so all of our work can be done from a laptop and an internet connection.

if i'm having a busy day and/or need to concentrate heavily, i'll sit at the desk in my office, with the laptop plugged into one of my external monitors, but on a "normal" day at the moment, it's relatively quiet, so i spend the time either in the lounge at the dining table, on the sofa, or sometimes in bed!

i've only really started working from bed recently (i was laid up for a few weeks after an operation) but it's particularly nice during the cold weather, so imagine that will be stopping again soon

i love it, it means i can potter round the house when its quiet and do things... like a long cook, or longer things during my lunchbreak like mowing the lawn or nipping to the shop. its also nice to have music on the stereo while im working, rather than having to use headphones. i miss the days of having my own office, where i could put whatever music i liked on!

as we kinda do flexitime, if i have to nip out for longer at lunch or something, i just make up the time at the end of the day (i do 7:30am-4pm generally)... as long as i dont take the p*** it's fine

for me (and what i do) i like not having structure to my work some of the time, it means i can do other stuff around my work, and as long as i get assigned work done and respond to emails/IMs/calls quickly, i dont really have anyone questioning if i'm being productive or not (i am, but i'm also taking things relatively easy during downtime in between projects and stuff - our job is swings and roundabouts, one week you're slammed with work, the next there's nothing happening unless something breaks so you're sat twiddling your thumbs some of the time. i never "take my work home with me" anymore, and if a job isnt finished by 4pm, it waits till the next day (unless its something urgent, like a system being down)

i think if they started forcing us to come into the office 5 days a week again, at least 3 of our team would be looking for new jobs. as it is, we get our work done, and all try to come in together at least once a week (our main day is tuesday) so we have a bit of facetime with one another and also try to schedule as many meetings as possible for those days so we can all attend in person if needed. the rest of the week, theres usually 2-3 of us in the office on any single day.

*edit*
this twitter thread has some useful things to think about: twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1237394959281479683

Edited at 05:34 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

I love working from home. In between I’ll walk the dog, do some washing, make the beds etc just to break the day up a bit. The people at my work absolutely drive me nuts so to not have to see them suits me fine. In fact I’d happily work from home everyday if it meant I never had to speak to them again.
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ryles View Post
I love working from home. In between I’ll walk the dog, do some washing, make the beds etc just to break the day up a bit. The people at my work absolutely drive me nuts so to not have to see them suits me fine. In fact I’d happily work from home everyday if it meant I never had to speak to them again.
This is why I’m actually hoping my work ask people to work from home soon!
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I work from home occasionally when I really need to focus - I find the office very noisy.

However, any WFH in the middle of a lockdown is likely to be horrible as both my younger two and my DH are all likely to be stuck in the house too. They all like to play music loudly - and different music, all clashing. There is likely to be far more noise and interruption.

The WiFi,which is normally fine for me, is also likely to take a battering if they are all streaming at the same time.

It's not going to be the same as normal WFH so need to think about how to manage that.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobaby
Imagineer

orlandobaby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have worked from home for the last 10 years and also have a structured day. Our hours of work are 9 - 5 and I am generally at my desk before 9. I do take an hour for lunch and make sure I leave my office for that break. I don’t miss seeing people as I am on the phone quite a lot. Also the bonus at the moment is staying away from all the germs out there! 👍

Orlando Sep 2000,Nov 01,June 04,June 05,Sep 05,Sep 06,Oct 08&13,Oct 14,Oct 15,Apr 18,Sept 19,Sept 22
LA and Las Vegas May 2010, San Fran, Las Vegas, LA May 2013
orlandobaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Stay motivated? Hmm ...next Netflix binge? 🤔😉

Only joking, a bit! I split my day into small chunks and change up my tasks otherwise I get distracted. I’m the same in the office so not much different really, I’ll do emails for 30 mins then work on project for couple of hours then break etc.
Old 12 Mar 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I also have to be showered and dressed or I’m just not able to motivate myself.
I work from home 2 days a week but am currently unwelcome in the office since DS’s school had a confirmed case.
I’m bored tbh
I feel out of sync

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

A few years ago we had to work from home totally unexpectedly - was dressed, about to leave and got a call not to come in, by 11am we were set up to work remotely. I set up in the dining room, put the tv on low with something I was half listening to but not actually watching (helped with background noise), I found sticking to same start/stop time and keeping the same drinks and lunch breaks helped me not slack off
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
Stay motivated? Hmm ...next Netflix binge? 🤔😉

Only joking, a bit! I split my day into small chunks and change up my tasks otherwise I get distracted. I’m the same in the office so not much different really, I’ll do emails for 30 mins then work on project for couple of hours then break etc.
May not be far from the truth in Robert De Niros assistants case she is currently being sued for $6M for Netflix binges ... and embezzlement
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
Thank you for the advice
Same here
I have to be dressed and in work mode
I. Have a slanted rest to put my work laptop on which I prefer
Sit at a desk with high back office style chair
I make sure I take regular screen breaks
Have been known to empty the washing machine during them
I find I get more done as the office is noisy at times
I don't have a designated desk at work & have to hot desk
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List