Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jan 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

One of our cockers has always been a puller.
The harness we got him made it easier for him to drag us along as he was able to 'put his back into it'

The only thing that works on him is the Halti.
He hates it though, whenever we stop he paws at it and tries his darndest to get it off! He never learns, wearing one for years but still always having another shot at it, just in case!

It's a pleasure to walk him with it on though. Such a difference. And as a consequence he goes out a lot more than he ever would without it, so win-win
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
I agree with this. We have a GSD who pulls so we thought we would get her a harness. It made it much worse as she just put all her chest muscles into it. We went to a dog trainer who suggested a head collar which works.
Yeah I don’t think I could hold my lab in a chest harness. He’s a little tugger when he gets excited.
Must admit i use a collar and lead and just stop when he pulls me and he gets the gist after a few false starts
Old 11 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Definitely at K-9, best harness I’ve had for my boxer dogs. Feels so sturdy and safe 🙂
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I use a K-9 type for my Lab, but coupled with collar. Use a training lead attached to both - gives a little more control.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

If she walks well she possibly doesn’t need a harness. A simple slip lead is the best way to walk them, IF they don’t pull and are well trained.

If you only want a harness then k9’s are fine.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Perfect fit harnesses for sure, they don’t need to step in or go over the head!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Dave+Hel
slightly serious Dibber

Dave+Hel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We use Dogmatics with our St Bernards.
I second this. If they are a puller then wearing a harness just encourages them to do it
Dave+Hel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Another one who went from harness to collar as our trailhound would ‘climb’ the road in the harness and pulls much less with a collar
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’ve done all breeds rescue for years I find the best solutions for pullers are and I know some are going to say that’s not right a co,binational of a half choke chain collar and a Halti using a lead with a double collar clip
Some dogs just like horses find a harness something to lean into and pull if they are of that mind set you are on the losing end
Our staffie is great on a harness never pulls as she works with it our Visla in a harness even DH is on his beam end on a half choke collar or Halti he’s alert and working with us
The Frenchie she’s on a collar and a harness 9 times out of 10 she walks like a little lady 10th time she’s a nightmare
The Weimaraner pup she’s a dream you could walk her on a silk thread and she would just amble along let her off and she’s never more than a lead length away untill she sees water and she’d swim the channel rather/than come back she develops cloth ears
If water is involved
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Bentley
Trainee Dibber

We use a Dogmatic head collar for our puller, and a K9 for our non puller.