Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 26 Apr 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry for my late response, I'm catching up.
I have not called Disney with this question because I'm 99% sure they'll say that it's only valid for the dates booked, even though we all know that it's valid longer if you have a split stay. I was hoping that someone who had booked free dining with an AP holder in the room might be able to share a real-life experience. The idea was to use the ticket that's part of the package after the AP has expired but still in the same calendar year.

@Nimbus: you are correct that there is a validity date mentioned in MDE, however this is simply the checkout date and does not align with the validity of the ticket. I'm only seeing this date in the app. The site only shows that the tickets cannot be transferred in my case.

I currently have both a UK and a US package in my account, so both a UK Ultimate ticket and a US MYW park hopper. In the app both tickets are showing as "Valid Through xx/xx/xx", which is the checkout date of the hotel package in both cases. However, we know that US tickets remain valid after checkout, even when not used. When I booked the 2018 US package the small print confirmed this as the tickets can be used until December 31st, 2019. We also know that US tickets even keep their value after their expiration date. You can no longer use the ticket to enter the parks, but you can exchange it for a new ticket and you will get the full value of the expired ticket as a payment towards the new ticket.

Long story short: MDE clearly does not assign the correct date to the US ticket, so this leads me to believe that a UK ticket can also be activated after the checkout date but before the end of the calendar year. However, I haven't been able to confirm this in practice.

@mossyflossy: Thank you for the tip on prioritising tickets, that is indeed useful for someone with an AP on a package booking.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
In the app both tickets are showing as "Valid Through xx/xx/xx", which is the checkout date of the hotel package in both cases.
Yes, this is what I was referring to.

What I thought this meant was that the first time you use/activate the ticket must be before this date. It will continue to be valid after the date but only up to 14 days (or 21 days for 21 day tickets) after first use/activation. This applies to the tickets bought as part of both the UK and US packages. If the tickets were bought separately then they don't have to be activated until the expiration date (31st December 20XX). There are different rules for tickets bought as part of a package to those bought separately.

But it's a guess on my part. You could be right and the ticket remains valid even if not used before your check out date. The "valid through xx/xx/xx" message might be a complete red herring and mean nothing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:19 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yes, this is what I was referring to.

What I thought this meant was that the first time you use/activate the ticket must be before this date. It will continue to be valid after the date but only up to 14 days (or 21 days for 21 day tickets) after first use/activation. This applies to the tickets bought as part of both the UK and US packages. If the tickets were bought separately then they don't have to be activated until the expiration date (31st December 20XX).

But it's a guess on my part. You could be right and the ticket remains valid even if not used before your check out date. The "valid through xx/xx/xx" message might be a complete red herring and mean nothing.
When booking a US package it explicitly states that the first use of the ticket should be on or before December 31st, 2019. The ticket was not bought separately. So the date on MDE for the US ticket is wrong, which leads me to believe that the checkout date does not apply to the UK ticket, either. But I've not been able to confirm this.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I have done this but it was a nightmare to sort out. You need to create a separate person on mde and assign that card to the ‘person’. Otherwise it will get used when you tap in, even if you use you AP.
I had to go to GR to get it sorted as it had already started pulling from that ticket but they did rectify it for me eventually. They are closing all loopholes though so I’d go to GR before entering any park and see if they can split it off for you. But the likely hood is probably not now.
Good luck!
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Woohoobb View Post
I have done this but it was a nightmare to sort out. You need to create a separate person on mde and assign that card to the ‘person’. Otherwise it will get used when you tap in, even if you use you AP.
I had to go to GR to get it sorted as it had already started pulling from that ticket but they did rectify it for me eventually. They are closing all loopholes though so I’d go to GR before entering any park and see if they can split it off for you. But the likely hood is probably not now.
Good luck!
Thanks for sharing! Had you asked anyone to prioritise your AP over the ticket before you entered a park? If not, that may have been the reason for your troubles.

Were you able to use the UK ticket later on in the year?
Old 28 Apr 18, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

Mobile

The spare is still sat in my mde with an expiry of 31/12/18 so it’s ready to go on our next trip.
I had assumed it would take the ap as priority (wrongly) as that would make sense but that’s not how it worked out.
Going to GR first is the way forward and hope you get a nice CM. 👍
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Woohoobb View Post
The spare is still sat in my mde with an expiry of 31/12/18 so it’s ready to go on our next trip.
I had assumed it would take the ap as priority (wrongly) as that would make sense but that’s not how it worked out.
Going to GR first is the way forward and hope you get a nice CM. 👍
Thank you!