Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 11 Sep 17, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
florenceandmary
Getting Excited

Armed Forces and Emergency Services Discounts

Hi,

My brother is ex-armed forces and a current fireman in the UK (I know it's exhausting having a 'superhero' in the family!) and he was asking whether there are any discounts that would want to know about when we visiting in November?

I know in the UK they have discounts at certain restaurants etc.

Thanks!
florenceandmary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Peut-Être
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Hiya,

I've found previously that showing one of the defence discount services cards can you get discount in some of the shops in Disney Springs and if you show the card to Guest Services at the outlets, they'll give you the coupon/voucher books free of charge! Usually in the states they treat veterans really well and it's always worth an ask if it's not openly displayed!

As for the emergency services side of things, I'm guessing it's same as the UK where you'll need something like a Blue Light Card to get anywhere, but I am yet to try this one in the US!

The discounts are usually 10-15% very much like the UK. My advice would be to get one of the cards and don't be embarrassed to ask when you're out there... an ex-armed forces one will maybe fare better. Plus side, I believe it only costs around £5 and he'll be able to use it in the UK as well - great for 25% off at Yo! Sushi and 10% off at New Look!
Peut-Être is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
florenceandmary
Getting Excited

Thank you that's really helpful!

We've gone to the US many times but it's not something we've really thoughts about. I know my brother has the discount card he uses in the UK (for the Domino's discount!) but he's usually pretty modest about being ex armed forces but he's also tight (which we blame the army for! ) so any money off he'll overcome that humbleness I'm sure!
florenceandmary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

MY DD has an army scholarship to medical school. Technically she's an officer in the army while she attends school and the army pays her tuition (75K a year), provides her with a stipend and medical and dental insurance. IMHO she is not serving the country as much as the country is serving her.

I never thought much about discounts until we were in the airport in Houston and she was wearing an Army tee shirt. OUr food court order was discounted. We have since learned that most chains offer a military discount and Disney has a discount on tickets as well as rooms. She has not wanted to use these perks (as said above, Army supports her well) but I know they are their. On Veteran's Day, most chain restaurants had a free meal for vets.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List