Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 May 22, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Problem Neighbours loft conversion

Can I ask some advice please
We live in semi detached house & our neighbours came round a few weeks ago to tell us of a planned loft conversion
They asked if we’d like the chimney capped off or the chimney built up because regulations state it has to be above the flat roof

Dave told them build it up as if we ever want to sell or use the chimney again we have that option

Now they’ve come back with a letter saying their costs are spiralling out of control and they’ve spoken to the Building Inspector who says there is no need to build the chimney up if they are not in use, they’ve been told it’s an extra £2250 to do it
Well we know that but it’s in the future if we need it
They are building it because he’s mostly working from home now and they need more room, I did offer to rent him one of our rooms

Is Dave being unreasonable to ask for it to be built 🤷
Don’t want to fall out with them 😬😩
Another worry Dave is thinking about our Sky dish now, it won’t work with the loft conversion, men & their TV 🙄🙄🙄

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Firstly I would suggest you ask for a Party Wall Agreement. This is an official agreement that looks at the state of your house now and uses this if the your neighbours cause damage to you home during the build. It is a sensible thing to have, they will have to pay for your surveyor and theirs. We had one when we extended a previous house its a useful legal agreement.

Your neighbours should not be allowed to devalue your home of course they want the cheapest option for them but your and they should consider you. Date is right!

Please Google Party Wall agreement.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Not unreasonable at all.
Stand your ground - it’s not your fault their costs are spiralling.
If you wanted to use your chimney in future, then you have the option atm. Don’t let them take that option away from you.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I'd say you are looking at using it soon (this winter) as energy costs are spiralling so need it to be in working order. The cost is not your problem.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
I'd say you are looking at using it soon (this winter) as energy costs are spiralling so need it to be in working order. The cost is not your problem.
Beat me too it, I’d say they’d made you start thinking about it and you’ve decided you might install a log burner so you need the chimney to be useable for that reason x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No ifs or buts. No excuses. They pay.
Plus if they are finding money tight watch them like a hawk as they may start cutting corners. If you can have a natter to the Builder as they may drop some good info to you.

I get on with our Neighbours but there’s a line in the sand. Three weeks ago next door also started a loft conversion and the Scaffolders asked to put a section on my Patio. Refused. They weren’t happy and so the Neighbour tried to put the arm on me. Failed.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

If they will be messing with your chimney, I would be wanting them to arrange an independent survey when the work is complete and that you get the results of that survey. You dont want to be finding that something is wrong when you come to sell.

They should pay for everything to be done properly.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

You should be no worse off by their actions - if you can see a way to be better off go for it.
When we had our roof done next door got their chimney repointed and new gutters at our expense. Didn't really cost us much in the scheme of things and possibly saved problems down the line.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Our neighbours are planning work. We've had a party wall surveyor do a very thorough inspection at the neighbour's expense.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

Agree that whilst awkward situations are pretty horrible and it’s natural to want to take the path of least resistance in this case the onus is on them, if they want to get the work done then it’s on them to do it properly.
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List