Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 31 Jan 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jovial
Imagineer

jovial's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Day in York with kids

I have a 7 yr old and a 2 yr old and we have booked a house in Filey for a week in August with a bit of help from dibbers!
We are going to drive to York for a day to visit the transport museum as my son loves trains but can anyone please tell me of other things to do in York that is suitable or places that are good to eat in and child friendly ? Either in York or on the journey back to Filey thanks
jovial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

the castle museum is worth a visit

jorvik centre is imo over rated for whats actually in there

having said this the railway museum will take a decent chunk of your day, used to love it when i was a kid...

for eats all the usual suspects are in York
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

Bettys

Jorvik Museum
Yorkshire air museum
walk round the city walls
York minster
York castle museum

there is plenty to do the tourist information office is well sited
1 Museum Street, York YO1 7DT.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jovial
Imagineer

jovial's Reviews
Thanks ! I would say it will ! I would say without planning too much we will prob have lunch somewhere and then spend the afternoon in the transport museum so it would be for the morning really but I suppose by the time we get there and have a walk around etc I am interested in the castle so I will look into it thanks
jovial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jovial
Imagineer

jovial's Reviews
I've just still had a look and the York Castle museum looks great too ! As we are from n Ireland can anyone help with parking etc where is the best place to park ? Do either have a car park ? Will we have to drive between them or are we able to walk ? Are they in the city centre ? Clueless about big cities 😂 I don't want to do both if we are going to be rushing about etc the transport museum is the more important one to us .
Old 31 Jan 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We love York, my daughters favourite place is the railway museum, castle museum is great too, we like to walk along the wall for a while, there's the York chocolate story which is great, the York bus tours, the boats on the river are really good, there's loads to do there, loads of great places to eat too, have a great time.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jovial View Post
I've just still had a look and the York Castle museum looks great too ! As we are from n Ireland can anyone help with parking etc where is the best place to park ? Do either have a car park ? Will we have to drive between them or are we able to walk ? Are they in the city centre ? Clueless about big cities 😂 I don't want to do both if we are going to be rushing about etc the transport museum is the more important one to us .
the city of York is very small and easy to get around walking. there is a shuttle road train from the railway museum into the town centre. most of the centre is pedestrian only. parking is a mare TBH and I would not advise moving once you have somewhere. there are park and ride options surrounding York as well.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by wobblywibbly View Post
the city of York is very small and easy to get around walking. there is a shuttle road train from the railway museum into the town centre. most of the centre is pedestrian only. parking is a mare TBH and I would not advise moving once you have somewhere. there are park and ride options surrounding York as well.
Last summer we stayed nearby in a lodge and when we went into York we used the park and ride, it worked well for us didn't take long to get into the city centre at all, that park and ride site is massive but we found parking in there easy enough even on a summer Saturday afternoon
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jovial
Imagineer

jovial's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks everyone this info is all really useful ! 😀
Old 2 Feb 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
HolyCow
Apprentice Imagineer

HolyCow's Reviews
Depending on the age and interests of your children, there is a hands-on archeology experience aimed at families
digyork/