Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jun 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have literally never seen anything about it before the virtue signaling this morning, but I will take your word.

Are you also campaigning for Be Our Guest to be closed and Cinderella’s castle. The sale and imprisonment of a woman is awful. I think Cinderella was treated very badly too.
Now this is getting a bit silly, sorry to say...
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soraia View Post
THIS! Thank you GrumpDopey&Me!

I've been reading this thread in disbelief at how nonchalant some people are about this and trying to force the "it's just a ride" and "what's the big deal, the songs/characters are fun" story line. It may well be for you, but what about the thousands that it deeply offends?

At a time when many corporations are taking the time to reflect on their practices and circle of influence, and making the decisions on bringing more diversity & inclusion within their remit - it isn't surprising that they are looking to remove an outdated movie with problematic racist undertones that isn't available for public consumption anymore, and instead choosing to celebrate the PatF - a story with a black female lead which was a big hit, fantastic story and some lovely theming and music!

You absolutely all have a right to be sad that you are going to miss a beloved ride, and all have a right to say you have fond memories of this from the past. But no one has a right to discredit anyone else's opinion that this is offensive, you don't have the right to say it isn't racist (just because you don't think so) and you don't have the right to say it is PC gone mad. With respect - you're not the target demographic that it is offending.

The ride is going to be exactly the same, just with a less problematic story at its root. The imagery that has been released looks fantastic and I'm sure the music will be wonderfully catchy!

I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind - I clearly have a very different view of the world (as it pertains to some current affairs) to a lot of people on here and that, in itself, is disappointing. However, we're all different and that isn't the point of discussion in this forum. The point of this forum is to discuss Florida holidays and in that case I'll finish with this - think of all the new wonderful memories you'll make when this fantastic new ride is finished!
I can't wait for the new ride, but again nothing in the ride itself is racist. I'm more than happy for the new ride to close the debate and controversy on Song of the South itself, but to call the actual ride racist is ridiculous.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I have literally never seen anything about it before the virtue signaling this morning, but I will take your word.

Are you also campaigning for Be Our Guest to be closed and Cinderella’s castle. The sale and imprisonment of a woman is awful. I think Cinderella was treated very badly too.
To say standing up against racism is virtue signalling is quite distasteful.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
To say standing up against racism is virtue signalling is quite distasteful.
I agree. I do hope you are not suggesting that I have said standing up against racism is wrong.

Edited at 06:02 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Well I shall miss singing " pretty good show us your bum," ( not the real words , just mine) while waiting in line 😂
Can we all at least agree that these are the correct words? They are in our house anyway .

It goes

“How do you do? Nana nana nana
Fine how are you? Nana nana nana
Blah blah (no idea what happens here)
Pretty good show us yer bum”.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Why? What is the difference?
I'm not sure that comparing the fairy tale Cinderella to the ongoing plight of oppressed people is quite the same.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lau-nicole
Excited about Disney

Mobile

You’re implying that those who are in favour of the change are virtue signalling yet you are the person clearly angry about keeping a ride based on a film you’ve probably never seen...
Lau-nicole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lau-nicole View Post
You’re implying that those who are in favour of the change are virtue signalling yet you are the person clearly angry about keeping a ride based on a film you’ve probably never seen...
Not probably. Definitely. I think I have been clear on that. My point is on the many times I have been on that ride, I have seen no signs of black people oppression. And as far as I can tell, nobody else has until this morning when it became trendy to be outraged at Splash Mountain.

I have had enough of this nonsense and am bowing out now.

Edited at 06:12 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
I can't wait for the new ride, but again nothing in the ride itself is racist. I'm more than happy for the new ride to close the debate and controversy on Song of the South itself, but to call the actual ride racist is ridiculous.
In your opinion
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not probably. Definitely. I think I have been clear on that. My point is on the many times I have been on that ride, I have seen no signs of black people oppression. And as far as I can tell, nobody else has until this morning when it became trendy.
It’s been something of discussion on some of my Facebook pages for about a week and growing off Facebook for a few weeks before that. Granted I wouldn’t say that Disney are being truthful when they say they have thought about it a year ago but it’s definitely not something decided this morning
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread