Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jul 13, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Talking .;[ Mojitos, Meetups, Military & Munching in Manchester with Mintballs & More! ]:.

Mojitos, Meetups, Military & Munching in Manchester with Mintballs & More!
(or "Dave" for short)

Gather round my fellow Dibbers and grab a cup of your favourite hot beverage. And maybe a brownie. Or a cupcake.

Just choose wisely enough to last you a few more pages of my ramblings, for I have a recent tale of merriment to share with you.

I should mention here that if you saw the title "Munching in Manchester" and you're expecting that type of Trippie, you've been reading way too much Sylvia Day.

This tale starts several months ago.

The assembled collective of eclectic randoms you'll know better as The DIBBcast Team literally do hail from all corners of the UK.

With Grant in the North, Rob in the South, Geoff in the East and Mel & I in the West we use Skype in order to meet in the virtual great hall of DIBBcast Towers.

So we'd been trying forever to pull together a meet up, meal and a bit of a team day out.

That's the plan which would later become "The DIBBcast Grand Day Out, Blackpool 2013"

In May, the final details are being pulled together behind the scenes.

It's then that we notice that Karen (DisneyMum) has pushed out an invite to see if anyone would be interested in a Manchester meet around about the same time.

Food, beer and good chat with like minded Disney folks. It'd be rude not to.

But it would have to fit in with the plans for the DIBBcast meet which, as Rob had to pull out last minute, were still in a fluid state.

Not to worry, eventually everything slotted nicely into place and we had soon settled on a date for the Manchester meet at the end of June with cocktails and a meal at the Sapporo Teppenyaki.

Being a couple of weeks after the DIBBcast meet in Blackpool, it gave Mel, myself and, more relevantly, Hannah (Hannikins) chance to dry out from our exploits there.

Roll on then to the morning of Saturday 29th June, 2013.

We knew we need to get up early. That was the plan.

But it had been a long, busy week for Mel and I was still playing sleep catchup since staying up till 3am several nights prior to watch this fruitloop live...

So it's a slow and lazy crawl into our ensuite to sort out the 3xS, pack, get ready and watch the British Grand Prix qualifying before hitting the M61 to Manchester.

We had plenty of time. It was all good. We were all organised.

So why then did I leave it till 5 minutes before we really, really needed to get on the road to start printing out the quiz?

To make matters worse, our colour laser printer decided to develop botulism and it started vomitting magenta toner all over everything.

Of course I take all of this in my stride and leave the house as cool as a cucumber and without a single bead of stress sweat on my sizeable forehead.

I blame Mel entirely for raising my blood pressure when we start discussing directions into central Manchester when we got to Salford.

"Look out for signs to Manchester Central - what used to be G-Mex", I tell her.
"Why?", asks Mel
"Becase that's where we're heading to.", I answer calmly.
"Why?", she persists
"Because we need to go to The Midland, park up and drop off our bags at reception"
"So why are we going to Manchester Central?"
"Because that's where The Midland is"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, it's opposite"
"So how do we get to The Midland?"

I pause for a moment, internally count to 10, and then calmly continue. Honest...

"We need Manchester Central car park for The Midland"
"Which street is The Midland on?"

By now, we're heading down the dual carriageway by Salford and I can see signs suggesting we take a left towards Manchester Central.

"Why are you going this way?", Mel asks in an accusuing tone.
"Becuase it's this way to Manchester Central"
"I dont think it is."
"It is, there was a sign"
"Where to?"
"Manchester Central"
"Why are we going to Manchester Central? I thought we were going to The Midland!"

The volume of conversation in the car has now increased at least several decibels.

"Why don't you ask Dora?", I suggest. Dora is the pet name of our SatNav.

"Do you know which street The Midland is on?", Mel continues, fixated on finding the OS 10 digit grid reference for the concierge desk.

"Just punch in Manchester Hotels", I suggest.

"She wont know them!" Mel states, confidently.

As we pull up at a red traffic light, I quickly dial through Dora's menu and bring up "Travel > Hotels > Near Current Location > The Midland Hotel"

There are several moments of silence. The only noise in the car now is the dulcet tones of Dora the SatNav.

However, even Dora isn't on my side today.

As we approach a set of traffic lights, she insists I turn right, yet I can clearly see a sign for NCP Manchester Central Car Park in front of me.

Knowing that Manchester's one way systems can sometimes be a little odd, I decide to trust Dora and make the turning right.

As I turn I can clearly make out the entrance to the car park behind me in my rear view mirror.

No problem, Ill need to quickly turn around, so I quickly pull right into the first side street I come across.

In front of me is a large, closed barrier with a sign. "Private Entrance. No Unauthorised Entry"

Slowly, carefully and once the large bus had manoevred around the rear end of our X-Trail, I reverse the rest of our car back into the middle of the main road, make a very swift 3 point turn and head into the car park.

The domestic continues even after we've parked up. Should we leave the case here and come back for it later tonight, or should we take it into The Midland now and dump it in the room?

We're already running late and I figure that if the evening goes well Im going to be lucky to remember my own name, let alone remember where we've parked the car.

So the case comes with us and we nip into The Midland and quickly check in.

As I head up to the 3rd floor in the lift to drop our case off, Mel was supposed to be asking the concierge for directions to Picadilly Gardens.

Returning to Reception I find her where I left her - reclinging on the large comfy sofa.

She insists that she was waiting for me before checking with the conceirge as I'm more likely to understand the difference between left and right. She has a valid and important point.

Sadly, by this time, there is now a growing queue at the concierge desk and so instead I decide to hop out the front and see if there is a porter or cabbie nearby who might help.

Mel has already punched in "Piccadilly Gardens" into her iPhone and Google Maps is offering directions.

It suggests we turn left.

Now my knowledge of Manchester navigation is far from extensive, yet I do have a hunch that walking around the back of The Midland isn't the right way to go.

Spotting a traffic warden, I tap him on the shoulder and ask his advice. He quickly points us in the opposite direction and suggests we follow the tram lines.

We have subsequently discovered that Mel's iphone was directing us correctly to Picadilly Gardens. It's just it had chosen the Picadilly Gardens in Nigeria.
Old 3 Jul 13, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Arriving finally in the right place I phone Karen (Disneymum) and Im advised to meet the rest of the party in the KRO bar.

About now, Mel suddenly chimes up with some unwelcome, yet relevant news.

I have left the quiz in the car. Oops.

Inside KRO, we already have a good crowd.

It's Armed Forces Day today and so Dave has been here since the early morning, proudly parading in his magnificent uniform.

Hannah (Hannikins) soon catches up with us after a shopping trip in Primark. She is carry a very large plastic carrier bag for a "pair of socks".

Her husband Adam has decided not to join us and so she leaves Dave and I in no doubt how she feels about that.

She also discusses with the other ladies how she is trying out her new super strength lipstick that won't smudge, smear or disappear from her face unless she scrubs it with a brillo pad and caustic soda.

So convinced is she at its resiliance that she confidently slurps her drink through a straw.

The conversation moves on to discuss my appropriate footwear and, more significantly, that I'm wearing clean socks for this special occasion.

I grab a fine pint of Thwaite's Wainwright.

Mel will tell you that hers is a coke. You, I and everyone else knows different.

Edited at 03:27 PM.
JamelUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 13, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
For me, the pint was a bit of Dutch courage.

Karen (DisneyMum) had suggested that we should check out the visiting StarFlyer attraction.

The StarFlyer is a 230 foot tall chair swinger type ride. 12 pairs of seats dangle from long chains and are lifted to the top of the tower before rotaing at speed to provide a spectacular view over the surrounding landscape.

It's a modern twist on the classic Wave Swinger type ride you may have seen back in the past at Alton Towers near the old Corkscrew.

They've just made it taller. A lot taller!

Now doesn't that sound fun?

These are a popular type of ride at the moment.

The Dutch ride manufacturer Mondial is well known for creating the "Wind Seeker" version of this attraction and four have been built recently in theme parks in the USA.

Unfortunately, due to some incidents and a couple of accidents, all these models are currently closed, pending a full investigation and assessment of how the design problems can be resolved.

Wearing my DIBBCast news hound cap and with my finger on the pulse of all theme park headlines & information, Id picked up on this story some time ago.

Purely in the interest of sharing my knowledge, I mentioned it to Karen.

Unsuprisingly, she was a little anxious.

"Not to worry!", I assured her, "the StarFlyer isnt a Windseeker!"

In fact, it's manufactured by Funtime Industries in Australia. They have a good pedigree and have built many of this very succesful ride model. The Manchester version is a mere baby considering some of the others in their portfolio. The model at Sixflags Texas stands at just over 400 feet!

So we confidently stride off towards the blue & white tower which currently dominates Picadilly Gardens. I wonder how Man United fans feel about this?

Mel's favourite ride is the Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.

It's lift reaches a height of 199 feet before hurtling you to the ground at speeds faster than gravity. She loves it.

And yet a gentle swing around the top of this tower which slowly returns you to the safety of terra firma at a computer controlled desceleration designed to stop the chairs swinging wildly as it stops, is not her cup of tea. Go figure.

So, with my fellow DIBBers all otherwise paired up...

...I ride alone.

Well I try to.

Initially, I grab a vacant twin seat all to myself. However, the ride ops quickly motion to me that I must fill every available seat and so Im asked to move alongside this woman.

She is lovely, but sadly her English is somewhat limited.

The only words I manage to understand are "Is here your first time?!"

No, random person, I come every day. I have a season pass.

I check out the 60 cubic metre water drums at the tower's base are full to the brim and haven't sprung any leaks. They are the only things keeping this ride upright.

The star starts to spin and quickly we are gaining altitude as we climb up the tower.

Now I wouldn't say I was scared. I wouldn't say it's a terrible ride.

But I would say that I'd be in no rush to repeat the experience.

The "spectacular view" from the top of the tower isn't going to blow anyone's mind.

You do get a close up view of the CIS tower and you can wave to the patron's of their cocktail bar.

On the other side, you can just about check out the underpaid workers chained to their sewing machines in the attic of Primark.

You do however get a great view of the giant crushing the onlookers under foot.

But up the top it's windy. Very windy.

This causes the seat and the chains to twist into the wind on one side of the tower. Then, as the star spins round to the other side and out of the wind, the chains quickly spring back to their proper position. This makes for an uncomfortable, if not slightly alarming ride.

At the very top, my random friend is screaming something in her own language. I have absolutely no idea what she was saying, but I'm going to hazard a guess she wasn't enjoying herself.

After only a couple of revolutions of the very top of the tower, we are soon returning to earth and she can't get out of her restraint and off the ride quick enough.

I think Charlotte summaries the experience beautifully.

I stop by the photo booth to pick up my on ride photo which I had already paid for as part of the online deal. As it features me looking in the opposite direction to the camera and my random friend looking like she was having a heart attack, I did consider asking for a refund. Instead I had the picture printed then gave it to Hannah to carry around for me all day. Accidently, we forgot to ask her for it back.
Old 3 Jul 13, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Recalling our adventures of the StarFlyer to the extraordinarlily brave men who had decided to stay drinking in KRO, I continue to discuss my experiences on other rides back in my youth.

left to right = Dave & Sharon (Digger1), Max & Amy (EnchantedRose), Dave (GingerNinja), Hannah (Hannikins), James (JaMelUK), Mel (Melanie R), Helen (Yorkie Girl), Steve (Stecee), Karen (GingerNinja), Johnny (Jonnygunsuk), Cath (DerryFam), Lauren (LaurenYorkshire)

Starting my chat with the words "I remember a few years ago, when I was younger...", Hannah bursts into laughter.

"A Couple of years ago?!", she exclaims.

Her cheek is met with a sharp slap on the head.

Having consumed another drink or 3, Johnny, our appointed tour guide for the day, suggests we should move on to another bar nearer Castlefields.

Karen's daughter Charlotte heads home with Dad. I tought it important to mention that in case anyone wonders wny she's missing on the rest of the photos and worries that she may still be sitting, sulking, on the StarFlyer.

I quickly discuss my need to visit the car and grab the quiz. With good directions on how to catch up with them at Dukes 92, I march off to the car park underneath the Manchester Central convention centre.

Now earlier, when Mel and I left the car park, we hopped on an escalator which terminated in the lobby of the convention centre.

So I quickly hopped up the steps and made towards the sliding doors at the entrance.

They're locked.

Soon, another couple join behind me - "Is this the way to the car park?"

"I'm not sure, this is where I came out from earlier"

"Yes! us too!"

But the door is locked shut.

Then we notice that there is a cleaner mopping the floor the other side of the internal set of doors.

We bang on the glass and shout at him.

He must have heard us, but he choose to ingore us.

As the other guy continues to demonstrate his masculinity to his female partner and shout obscenities at the cleaner, I cut my losses, walk around to the front of the building and down the ramp into the car park.

With the quiz sheets now firmly in my hand, I catch up with the rest of the gang on Deansgate, just by the Beetham Tower.

How many DIBBers does it take to find a bar?

Quite a few evidently...

...although the drink had been flowing for a few hours by then.

Eventually, we make our way into Dukes 92 which is to be the venue for my fun packed Disney quiz.

Before I allow anyone to begin, I insist everyone hands over their smart phones. I won't have any cheating.

And besides, they'll make a nice prize for the winner!

Unfortunately, as funny as this gag was, I then dropped all of them on the floor. Mel's heart skips a beat, but thankfully they all survice unscathed. Sorry all.

So then, 15 minutes to complete my devilishly designed quiz.

If you fancy a go, you'll find a copy attached at the bottom. Ill give the answers later. Give yourself 15 minutes as well and no Googling!

Everyone sets to as if they're either a chance to win an all expenses paid trip to Orlando, or they're filling in the Census.

Great displays of knowledge are displayed, but ultimately Hannah is declared the winner and she wins the star prize.

Amy & Max sadly have to leave us at this point, but they wave goodbye with huge smiles having enjoyed themselves.

The rest of us make our way to Sappora Teppenyaki, with the ladies demonstrating extraordinary balance in their heels across the cobble stones.

Old 3 Jul 13, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Once inside we are soon seated and ordering cocktails.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why have I got a hydrant coming out of my head?

But you're right. That is a jet engine in the window behind me.

Sapporo Teppenyaki is directly opposite the Museum Of Science & Industry which Im delighted is to remain open with free admission.

But enough of politics, you're just interested in the booze aren't you?

This keeps Mel happy. Obviously.

The chefs here put on amazing displays.

Juggling knives...

creating huge fireballs...

and demonstrating the coolest way to crack an egg you'll ever see.

They start to cook up their delicious saute potatoes and it's not long before they are served to us Sapporo style.

That means they are hurled towards you and you are meant to catch them in your mouth!

Some did much better than others!

Don't panic, they do eventually serve up a healthy portion on your plate.
Old 3 Jul 13, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
In addition they serve up some amazing food on the hot plate. Between us we ordered a vast selection of Chicken, Steak, Fish and more. All superbly cooked.

As more drinks flow, eventually dessert arrives.

I'd also quietly mentioned to the bar staff that both Karen and Hannah were recent birthday girls, so they recieved the traditional drum & bass version of Happy Borthday.

Everyone agrees it was a great meal and a brillaint evening. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Some enjoyed it more than others.

Having settled our bill and tipped accordingly, we head out into the lovely evening air. It's still pleasantly warm.

There are some suggestions to move on to another bar for one last drink, so Johnny marches off towards Picadilly as well as the coach station.

Now unfortunately, with several people clock watching to catch last trains and coaches, the leading party set off at quite a pace.

This means that some who were not quite as quick footed were left behind. I did run back to see if I coul see or find anyone, but Im afraid I couldn't see you. Sorry we lost you and didn't get the chance to say good night properly, but we did later hear from you and know you found your own way home.

Meanwhile, back at Picadilly, it soon becomes clear that the clock is beating us and so we ensure Lauren catches her bus before leading everyone else back towards the train station.

That just leaves Johnny, Sue, Mel and myself to have one last night cap in KRO.

We talk for ages about everything and nothing until Johnny remarks that it's suprising how little Disney we've been talking about.

Well that's it. The seed has been planted and for a further 30 minutes that's all we talk about!

Eventually, it's time for the night to end and ensuring Sue and Johnny have transport home, Mel and I make our way towards The Midland.

Mel has done well to last this long, having been hobbling all day with a knee injury she sustained some days earlier. So, as we pass a waiting taxi, we use up our last fiver and take the lazy option.

In the comfy surroundings of The Midland, we are both soon flat out and snoring.

A great day with fabulous company. A shame a few couldn't make it as planned - be sure to save the date for next time!

I can't end without making a special mention to Karen, who organised the restaurant, monies and sparked this whole idea off and to the whole group who have donated the extra pennies left over from the restaurant bill to The DIBB Donates.

We'll be doing more again soon. Watch this space!

Old 3 Jul 13, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Arrow The QUIZ!

The Quiz!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIBBCastManchesterQuiz_SHEET.pdf (77.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 3 Jul 13, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EnchantedRose
slightly serious Dibber

Loved reading this! I just wish I could have stayed for the meal, it looked amazing!

Florida 2012 - Trip Report
DLP 2007, 2014, 2016 WDW 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2016 DL California 2010, DCL 2017
EnchantedRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 13, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
I'm afraid I have to correct you James. Your actual words were " A few years ago... when I was in my early twenties" THAT'S what made it so hilarious

And I shared my mintball win with the lovely Karen, it was a team effort

lovely piccies all!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 13, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
Your actual words were " A few years ago... when I was in my early twenties" THAT'S what made it so hilarious
I still don't see what was so funny.

<sets mode -mid_life_crisis>