Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Oct 17, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have a dodgy knee which comes and goes luckily this year didn't bother me hopefully i will be lucky next year too. Mayne its the sketchers i wore everyday they are comfy.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

My advice with a slightly dodgy knee is to plan your FP+ carefully so you minimize how far you walk and try not to go back and forth between the lands or sections of the park.

In Epcot use the boat to go from one side to another - that saves more time on your feet.

Take your time and sit down and people watch when you feel like it.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Wow! Thanks so much to all of you for your replies & advice. I will read each of these carefully over the next few days.

Thanks once again
Old 20 Oct 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I've got lymphoedema in my legs/feet which is very painful. Because the swelling is so bad I can't wear normal trainers/shoes - I have to get them specially made. I'm just going to make sure I've got plenty of meds and my walking stick when I go to WDW next year! I don't do full days at the parks for this reason. I like spending a few hours in the afternoon at the hotel pool or Typhoon Lagoon, floating around Castaway Creek :-)
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 17, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I've got lymphoedema in my legs/feet which is very painful. Because the swelling is so bad I can't wear normal trainers/shoes - I have to get them specially made. I'm just going to make sure I've got plenty of meds and my walking stick when I go to WDW next year! I don't do full days at the parks for this reason. I like spending a few hours in the afternoon at the hotel pool or Typhoon Lagoon, floating around Castaway Creek :-)
Isn't massage supposed to be good for that?

Sounds like a great excuse to pamper yourself while you're away!
Old 23 Oct 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

My wife has suffered with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis from the age of 24, she has had a full knee and hip replacement on the one side, the other side is hanging on in there at the moment.

We went in August this year for 2 weeks and was averaging 7-8 miles a day, she wears hi-top trainer boots to support her ankles and to be honest she managed really well, in fact she went the whole 2 weeks without any extra pain killers. One thing she emphasises every time we go to Disney World is that the Florida sun agrees with her joints, for some reason everything feels better in the sun there and I know there has been vast research about the weather and arthritis, but, it genuinely seems to suit my wife.

Ice machines in the hotel are a must for knee flare ups, we make sure we are quite near one.

We sat down wherever possible in the parks and made sure we didn't do any unnecessary walking. Plan your days sensibly round the parks, walk around in one direction so that you don't have extra walking and don't worry about wait times at certain times meaning you have to go a distance to a ride just because it has a low wait time, then come back on yourself because you missed an area.

At the end of the day, for us, it was all about organising the day properly, so we didn't over do it and it worked a treat.
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Isn't massage supposed to be good for that?

Sounds like a great excuse to pamper yourself while you're away!
I do have massage but it's not a normal one, it's done by specially trained medics.

I do love the idea of having a pampering session while I'm there though
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List