Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 21, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

Just had a look at how much it would cost me in my eniro to drive from Grimsby to John O'Groats and back again (genuine range is 260-270 miles per full charge, which costs me about £3.50 on an overnight tariff).

Using only ultrarapid chargers (100kW+, so faster than the maximum the eniro can take): £75. I'd need to stop twice on the way up - for 25 minutes and 30 minutes. To be honest, for a near ten-hour drive, I think I'd be taking those stops around then for sheer self-preservation.

The round trip via diesel would, in a car that does 50mpg, cost over £135 (assuming you're getting diesel at £1.35 per litre, which may be overoptimistic for motorway services.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Had my Tesla model 3 for 6 weeks now, love it.

Lucky to have rapid chargers near me [West Lothian] for free, and when out on journeys the charging network is great

Been up to Aberdeen with [heading back up there again tomorrow]... and went down to Liverpool last week.

Around a 25 minute charge each way and back on the road...costs are working out around 20% of what I was spending on petrol so far, from changing from the BMW 330E Hybrid... as lucky to have free chargers near me...sure that will end shortly though as most council areas are starting to charge
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Had my Tesla model 3 for 6 weeks now, love it.

Lucky to have rapid chargers near me [West Lothian] for free, and when out on journeys the charging network is great

Been up to Aberdeen with [heading back up there again tomorrow]... and went down to Liverpool last week.

Around a 25 minute charge each way and back on the road...costs are working out around 20% of what I was spending on petrol so far, from changing from the BMW 330E Hybrid... as lucky to have free chargers near me...sure that will end shortly though as most council areas are starting to charge
Am next to the Eurocentral super charger - that is my local one.

Yes, more and more councils starting to charge.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
This is something the mad Elon Musk has said in the past - he wants to get us into EV sooner rather than later, if not a Tesla any EV will do.

Add in that I think he is opening the Tesla network up to make it available to other cars, so the more the merrier.

Sure it helps that in the US, the new Joe Biden multi-trillion $ infrastructure plan will give billions to setup charger stations, but only if available to all cars - so Elon wants some of that, and if that gets more EV sold - good!

Think it is a bit different in Norway, whey they might have been finding it hard to get permission to open more chargers that only allowed tesla there.

I am fine with non-Tesla cars using the network, as long as funds are then used to open more and more of them.

Also helps that on the rare times I use a super charger, am one of those drivers that travels at crack of dawn when it will be quiet - this weeks trip to near Blackpool will have me at Tebay chargers about 06:30.
I love the Tebay charger, here I am early one morning on my way to Coniston. I’ve yet find one with as good views.

Old 12 Aug 21, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My charger at home is one of the ones I got with the grant from govt - it is NOT fast but adds about 20 miles, per hour of charge. I just plug it in when get home, go to bed and when I go out the next morning it is as charged as much as I want it to be. Like my phone, plug it in at night

The non-Tesla charging network can be a bit hit and miss am afraid still but it is getting better all the time. Big companies are coming in and creating "service stations" like setups that have 20+ chargers, cafe and working spaces - but these are just starting to appear.

If you tell me approx where you live, and the places you might tend to go when doing longer trips, can give you my opinion of charging options in those areas.
Thanks. North Essex for us with most journeys never more than 50 miles from home, occasional trip to North Wales. So it really comes down to what local charging is like which I’ll continue to look at. I do wonder if a PHEV for 2 years then full electric next time is the way to go. I think the rate of change in infrastructure means it could be very different by 2023 (in a god way).
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Am next to the Eurocentral super charger - that is my local one.

Yes, more and more councils starting to charge.
Not far from us...we are in Bathgate so have used the Newbridge one a couple of times

Heading up to Aberdeen tomorrow and I still haven't sorted my home charger from a type 1 plug to a type 2 so relying on chargers out and about for now - till I get my finger out and get a type 2 cable..!

Planning a quick blast at the Dundee charger then up to Aberdeen, and head to the Aberdeen charge for a good charge to get back, quick toilet break and free coffee there.!
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I love the Tebay charger, here I am early one morning on my way to Coniston. I’ve yet find one with as good views.

View is great on a good day - but the walk to main building when it is hammering with rain and wind is not quite as good!

Love the farm shop - never a cheap visit
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Thanks. North Essex for us with most journeys never more than 50 miles from home, occasional trip to North Wales. So it really comes down to what local charging is like which I’ll continue to look at. I do wonder if a PHEV for 2 years then full electric next time is the way to go. I think the rate of change in infrastructure means it could be very different by 2023 (in a god way).
Actually, have a play with this site:
abetterrouteplanner/

You can put in car types, loads of options like charger types etc and will show you real world need to charge on various trips. Have a play when you have some time.

Charger at home is best if you can manage it.
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Not far from us...we are in Bathgate so have used the Newbridge one a couple of times

Heading up to Aberdeen tomorrow and I still haven't sorted my home charger from a type 1 plug to a type 2 so relying on chargers out and about for now - till I get my finger out and get a type 2 cable..!

Planning a quick blast at the Dundee charger then up to Aberdeen, and head to the Aberdeen charge for a good charge to get back, quick toilet break and free coffee there.!
Bathgate! Have used the couple of chargers at the train station when gone into Edinburgh - very useful if away for few hours.

Been to Dundee when we went to V&A there.
Old 12 Aug 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Home cinema and now Tesla - we have lots in common lol

Hyundai and Kia now have some cracking EV cars - the Kona from Hyundai looks good to me, good range and great warranty - perhaps look at that one? Been out long enough to perhaps come through to 2nd hand market?

However, you point about a cheap diesel, low mileage is very valid and will be long time before EV challenges on cost alone, for low mileage I mean.

I do about 18,000 a year, can charge for free at work, have free Tesla supercharger use (so now rarely charge at home) and the total cost of running the Tesla, is less than the Evoque I had before. Nearly zero fuel costs, low service costs etc.
I have the Kona if you have any questions. It’s a lovely car