Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 09, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jurassicmum View Post
I can get 6 weeks of treament a yearat out local hospital which involves going in a UV booth for 10 secs - 3 mins 3 times a week. I did it for the first couple of years when I was diagnosed but to be hones with 4 kids it was getting a wee bit impractical to go. Didn't do much more than make me itch like hell for 6 weeks!

Going for the betacarotine this year! What would we do without the DIBBBB?
Is this the sme as a sunbed?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

I get PMLE on my arms quite bad, on one trip to Florida it was so awful my parents actually took me to First Aid in the Magic Kingdom to try and get some help on what it was! I find a kids mega strong sun screen helps, but if the rash comes up the lady in the Magic Kingdom recommended cladryl clear which unfortuantely is only available in the US- strings a little to apply at first but after that it's incredibly sooting- helps the itch and the rash to go down- I bought a bottle at the beginning of my florida trip last year just in case!
The year I came up really bad we actually ended up bandaging my arms to avoid further exposure to the sun- I think the women at the gate of Epcot thought I had leprosy or something!
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Im going to get some betacarotine too just to be sure! Isn't betacarotine in carrots? And im sure i have read that if you eat plenty of carrots you tan easier,perhaps this is why it works so well? Be interested to know if anyone has looked it up.
Old 25 Apr 09, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post

dermnetnz.org/reactions/pmle

The above website has some basic info about PMLE, and some lovely photos of rashes. It recommends beta carotene but doesn't say way.

Looking up beta carotene on the net brings all sort of wonder claims for it. It is supposed to be good for all skin ailments. It says something about ridding the skin of free radicals that cause the damage - hmm.

It does say on some websites that beta carotene helps you tan, so maybe it just helps your skin to get a base tan?

I've also just seen that anti-malaria tablets work well for severe PMLE. Think I will stick to beta carotene, SPF30 and loose cotton clothing.

And the thing about not using water-proof cream is good advice - makes my skin worse.
Old 25 Apr 09, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Crikey no i would not take Malaria tabs unless there was a risk of Malaria.I remember taking it in The Gambia and it made me sick every dayWill check out the web site ,thanks.I've learnt loads from this thread.
Old 10 May 09, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
21stcenturygal
Helping Donald

I'm so glad I found this thread as I got exactly this type of rash for the 1st time last year in Gran Canaria and didn't know what it was. Being totally unprepared, I paid a fortune for creams that did absolutely nothing to ease the itchiness or redness. After reading the advice in this thread, I went out yesterday and bought some beta carotene tablets and I fully intend to use these as described. However, if I decide to also try the 4 x 3 minute sunbed sessions, over how long a period are we talking - 1 session per week, every other day. Any help appreciated.
21stcenturygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lfcnut
Very Serious Dibber

DW suffers from prickly heat as well. She went out yesterday and bought herself betacarotine tablets from Holland & Barrett and also got herself the Piz Buin Allergy suncream - she's taking no chances this year!

New York 2017 Dubai 2018 Cancun 2019
lfcnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post

I have always used Piz Buin and have not had the problem again.
Old 10 May 09, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

i now use p20 this seems to work for me

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 09, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 21stcenturygal View Post
However, if I decide to also try the 4 x 3 minute sunbed sessions, over how long a period are we talking - 1 session per week, every other day. Any help appreciated.
I'm no expert, but I would say 2 a week. This is what I plan to do
Closed Thread