Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
Moorlandman
Imagineer
 
Moorlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 15
Location: Staffs Moorlands

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Sterling forecast to fall to parity against the dollar - BBC

I know some people ask about when to purchase their dollars - now could be a good time!

bbc/news/business-49015116

"If people are waiting to buy at a better rate I don't think that's going to happen," Mr Hickman said.

If there is a no-deal Brexit then he thinks the pound could go lower. He points out that some in the financial markets think it could hit parity against the dollar, meaning tourists would receive just £1 for each dollar they exchange.
At the moment the tourist rate for the pound against the dollar is $1.2127. That's down 5% on this time last year, according to the Post Office.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
400ixl
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 12
That rate isn't quite correct. The Mastercard rate is 1.251692 and high street rate is 1.2336.

Don't disagree the rate is fragile and could easily tank though.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
tapley
Very Serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Dec 09
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I know some people ask about when to purchase their dollars - now could be a good time!

bbc/news/business-49015116

"If people are waiting to buy at a better rate I don't think that's going to happen," Mr Hickman said.

If there is a no-deal Brexit then he thinks the pound could go lower. He points out that some in the financial markets think it could hit parity against the dollar, meaning tourists would receive just £1 for each dollar they exchange.
At the moment the tourist rate for the pound against the dollar is $1.2127. That's down 5% on this time last year, according to the Post Office.
s

Remember the BBC and the Bank of England have been harbingers of doom ever since the referendum campaign. Nobody yet knows what the currency will do because we donít know what trade will do after we leave If we do. Part of the Dollar/ Pound issue is that the dollar has strengthened surprisingly under Trump but that may not be consistent.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
Nimbus
Imagineer
 
Nimbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10
Location: South Manchester

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tapley View Post
Remember the BBC and the Bank of England have been harbingers of doom ever since the referendum campaign.
Perhaps you would prefer to read the same news on the Bloomberg, ForeLive, Telegraph, Guardian websites instead:

bloomberg/news/artic...no-deal-brexit
forexlive/news/!/the...rexit-20190717
telegraph/business...nflation-data/
theguardian/business...-business-live

Note that the quote is from Morgan Stanley, not the BBC nor the Bank of England. However, they do use the word "could" not "will" - as does the original post. They say, "Should [a harder Brexit] materialize, pound-dollar could fall into the $1.00-$1.10 range.Ē


Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
That rate isn't quite correct. The Mastercard rate is 1.251692 and high street rate is 1.2336.
As the OP and article say, it's the tourist rate offered by the Post Office. See here:

postoffice/travel-...-exchange-rate

Looking at the tourist dollar rates shown here on the DIBB, most of them are around the $1.215 (ish) range.
__________________
DLC: Jun 1995 // DLP: Aug 2013 // WDW: Dec 1997 | Feb 2000 | Mar 2001 | Feb 2006 | Oct 2010 | May 2012 | Aug 2014 | Apr 2016 | Aug 2020

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
neilhd
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Originally Posted by tapley View Post
s

Remember the BBC and the Bank of England have been harbingers of doom ever since the referendum campaign. Nobody yet knows what the currency will do because we donít know what trade will do after we leave If we do. Part of the Dollar/ Pound issue is that the dollar has strengthened surprisingly under Trump but that may not be consistent.
Everybody said the pound would drop following a leave vote, which is exactly what it did. It wasn't project fear, it was reality. The pound has also dropped against the Euro etc, so it is not a strong dollar causing it.

I fully expect further drops in the event of no-deal, although it's possible the markets have already priced this in to a degree now, hence the lower value we have now.
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Mar 13
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Everybody said the pound would drop following a leave vote, which is exactly what it did. It wasn't project fear, it was reality. The pound has also dropped against the Euro etc, so it is not a strong dollar causing it.

I fully expect further drops in the event of no-deal, although it's possible the markets have already priced this in to a degree now, hence the lower value we have now.
I wonder when people will accept that there was more reality to 'Project Fear' than they expected... ?

This is a right pain for me and my DVC contracts!

Edited at 05:14 PM.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
cybermum
Imagineer
 
cybermum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 08

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
It didn't go through the floor on the vote because the UK hadn't left at that point , secondly Mark Carney instigated procedures to prevent utter chaos.
If the UK crashes out in October (and I really really doubt it ...Boris and Hunt are saying anything to woo the party faithful) its going below parity .
In fact that will be the least of the UK's problems.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
cybermum
Imagineer
 
cybermum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 08

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
I wonder when people will accept that there was more reality to 'Project Fear' than they expected... ?
Many won't... they will still bleat on that it was worth it for 'control ' and blue passports.
Some are really in for a rough awakening . I feel very sorry for those who now have their lives hanging in the balance over those who swallowed all the false crap spouted by Farage ( who wasted zero time getting his kids citizenship sorted in Germany and still happily picks up his huge MEP salary ).
The man who said the break up of the union will be sad but worth it for Brexit.

Cold place in hell awaits some.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
#9
fizzypop
Imagineer
 
fizzypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 09
I got caught out yesterday. A couple of months ago I thought I wouldnít buy any $ as I thought the rate was low and it would increase. I had to buy $ yesterday as time had run out and I got 1.18!
Got Revolut too but again I didnít load any on a few months ago 😩
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
#10
neilhd
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
Many won't... they will still bleat on that it was worth it for 'control ' and blue passports.
Some are really in for a rough awakening . I feel very sorry for those who now have their lives hanging in the balance over those who swallowed all the false crap spouted by Farage ( who wasted zero time getting his kids citizenship sorted in Germany and still happily picks up his huge MEP salary ).
The man who said the break up of the union will be sad but worth it for Brexit.

Cold place in hell awaits some.
The same Farage who thinks the UK needs to move to a US-style insurance-based healthcare system. Wonder why that wasn't put on the side of a bus...
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Airlines
On 3rd August 9:48am
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has conducted a review into airline refund practices during the... Read More »
Posted in Disneyland Paris
On 1st August 1:13pm
With the new Ratatouille ride coming to EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Disney has released... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 30th July 9:26am
Disney has not only been welcoming guests back to their theme parks, they have also... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2853
CaxtonFX  $1.2756
Covent Garden FX  $1.2864
FAIRFX  $1.2760
John Lewis  $1.2854
M&S  $1.2613
Post Office  $1.2602
Sainsburys  $1.2781
TESCO  $1.2793
Travelex  $1.2733
Updated: 01:30 05/08/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0913
CaxtonFX  €1.0804
Covent Garden FX  €1.0914
FAIRFX  €1.0840
John Lewis  €1.0916
M&S  €1.0715
Post Office  €1.0704
Sainsburys  €1.0860
TESCO  €1.0877
Travelex  €1.0829
Updated: 01:30 05/08/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now