Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 7 Dec 16, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Parasailing - Contemporary or Castaway Cay

I had no idea where the best place to post this was as it covers Florida, the parks, and the cruise!

So just wondering if anyone has parasailied at either the Contemporary (Sammy Duvall) or on Castaway Cay?

Is it worth the money? How much of MK can you see from the air on the Contemporary one?

I want to get one of them for my DH for Christmas (will be a sort of IOU booking as we dont go till Aug!) but would also love to do it myself so considering a tandem one if I chose the Contemporary one or going together on Castaway Cay while the kids are in Skuttle Cove.

Any advice or reviews of either would be much appreciated!
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

We're going to check out the Contemporary. Maybe do the water ski-boat hire instead of the parasailing though, or perhaps both.

It seems expensive to me, for the short cable and the duration. You should be able to get it cheaper off-property. I did a 1200' line on one of the lakes one year, but I cannot remember where I'm afraid. Certainly it was off property and they seemed like a good trust worthy outfit.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, we did the parasailing at the Contemporary this August. We are a family of five and so chose 3 tandem flights... Our three daughters did rock, paper, scissors to see who would go for a second time! It was great, a little expensive... but what isn't in Disney! We had to reschedule our first booking as a storm was coming but they were great about fitting us in the following day or two.
We had the boat to ourselves, there was the driver and a young lad who helped us get the harness on and told us exactly what to do. It was a lovely new boat and very professional service, we paid extra for a disc of all our photos. The younger lad took lots of photos, all very good. You can take your own though.
The views were great, you do feel very high up and can see the castle and space mountain etc...
You don't touch the water at all, take off from the boat and land on the boat. This was the only bit I felt worried about, in case I landed in the water in case there was an alligator close by!
The driver never spoke a word to us bizarrely! It was a great experience and so glad we did it. We also went on a cruise following our Disney stay and I would say it's better to do it in Disney as your day on Casataway Cay passes really quickly. Also, no chance to reschedule either. When we were there in August there was no watersports, all cancelled due to the wind. Hope this helps x
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I've done both and they were fantastic. Note though that because of thermals and storm threats the ones at Castaway Cay often get cancelled at short notice.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Thank you all for your comments.

I've decided to go with the Castaway Cay one and will be booking it for all 4 of us not just DH (yolo right!) obviously I can't book now as we don't go it Aug but I've made a vid, saved it to a memory stick for them to open on Xmas Day and play for the big reveal! Will post it on here once they've seen it!

Geoff - do you know if you can choose your timeslot? If I could then I could choose a morning and hopefully avoid a storm cancellation!
Old 22 Dec 16, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Please just make sure your insurance covers you. I know someone who did the para-sailing and was hurt and they discovered they weren't covered. Don't know if Disney include insurance in the hire charge.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List