Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 22 Apr 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Hope we get one like yours Worgie. Its just you hear so many horrible stories.
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I know how you feel tomdan. We had read so many horror stories & we were dreading the interview but it was painless after all that worrying. Hope you are as lucky as we were.X
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
So, now I'm beginning to feel rather anxious and ever so slightly wound up.

I've spent all morning coughing,blowing my nose and reading horror stories online...
I'm sure that's not the correct preparation at all

A couple of queries-are there various activities which may be asked to perform-but if too painful-simply decline and explain why-as oppose to a flat out no..
Even though it's in the form as to why such movements may not be physically possible ?

Also-is it scaremongering or truthful the observations actually begin as you approach the building and body language,what you wear and how you behave are all taken into account?

What about mood swings?! Like the weather right here
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My son wasn't asked to do any activities but since he has autism his mobility is not limited so maybe that's why. The lady who interviewed him asked him questions and gave him ample time to process the questions, repeated them if he got flustered and asked me if he wasn't clear or didn't understand the question. I can't say I felt like he was being assessed from the moment we arrived in terms of body language etc and the whole process was relatively painless. I guess it depends on who you get and how much they understand your particular disability but the lady we saw said they try to match each assessor to people with disabilities they are familiar with.
Hope it's not too stressful for you.
Old 25 Apr 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Worgie View Post
My son wasn't asked to do any activities but since he has autism his mobility is not limited so maybe that's why. The lady who interviewed him asked him questions and gave him ample time to process the questions, repeated them if he got flustered and asked me if he wasn't clear or didn't understand the question. I can't say I felt like he was being assessed from the moment we arrived in terms of body language etc and the whole process was relatively painless. I guess it depends on who you get and how much they understand your particular disability but the lady we saw said they try to match each assessor to people with disabilities they are familiar with.
Hope it's not too stressful for you.
y

Thanks very much.

I guess it's just see how it goes and too many variables to try and even begin to work out how/why/what may occur tomorrow..

Edited at 08:01 PM.
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Our DS has learning disabilities and on the mild end of the autistic spectrum I had filled in the application form for him and when the assessor visited our home she said she wanted to have the answers in his words not mine. I sat in the same room and tried to keep quiet but it got to the point when I had to step in as he wasn't quite answering things as I would, he made things sound better than they actually are. He made out he could understand complex words and sentences, that would be a miracle so I had to speak out. Chatting to the assessor it turned out she was only 22 and a trained nurse which made me think our DS application would be rejected but it turned out that he's now getting almost twice as much in PIP than he was in DLA. His first payment has gone in his bank account today
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List