Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 15 May 17, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I won't name him but there is a young Guy on here who bought resale last year. He did tons of research and his conclusion was it was a great deal
That's what it needs, endless research.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Should have said - we took 8 years to decide to buy in (direct). We chose direct because we liked the flexibility of the scheme. Seems many don't go for that but we do. I've nothing against resale contracts apart from the restrictions that have been imposed. If all you want to do is stay at Disney then resale is the way to go.
We have a much smaller contract for Grand Californian - for us the best resort hotel that Disney ever built - just so beautiful. We waited for 9 months to get a direct contract because with only 88 units it can be really difficult to get in there at certain times of year. As Mr TM said the annual dues we pay are way less than cash payment accommodation at Disney.
Oh! and I agree about the TV locations in bedrooms. They are not always ideal.

Edited at 02:25 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
When we bought in in 2008 Direct at AKL was $98 & I think it went to $104 later that year. We got our SSR contract for $67.50/68 without the restrictions, so in our heads we got more points for less money. Now if I was a potential buyer, & we are looking at adding on, $176 is scary money, especially as the 100 point contracts aren't going to get you a very long holiday at the resorts you are buying into. You then look at the Resale market & a bit like buying a new car, your contracts value has decreased by $80 overnight !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Anzolo
Imagineer

We bought direct in 2008 because we really wanted to be able to have the ability to stay onsite with all the advantages that entailed. We hadn't even heard of the possibility of resale and therefore did not consider it.
Our guide give us all the information we needed and definitely pointed out that there were cheaper ways of staying on-site/visiting Disney. We have never once considered it an investment to cash in at some point in the future. Our kids (DD23 and DS19) are looking forward to going when we feel we need a rest from it all. Similarly we are looking forward to be able to go more frequently when they eventually decide that going with Mam and Dad is not for them (although I'm not sure that will ever happen).

DLP 2001. Holiday Inn Maingate West 2003, 2005, Villas of Somerset 2007. Indian Point 2008. AKV 2010. AKV & BLT 2011. VB & AKV 2013. NYC, AKV, VGF 2015. AKV & VGF 2017. OKW & AKV 2019.
Anzolo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post

I think there are different ways of viewing the value of DVC. We wouldn't be able to afford to stay where we do without it so it has been worth it so far for me. We bought in 2014 and by the end of the year will have had 17 nights at AKV and 16 nights at VGF. I did a couple of dummy bookings earlier to check and we're not far off breaking even if we had paid cash for these trips (12 nights this year at VGF is £5500 alone!).
I think that we would be close to breaking even too if we sold with the current exchange rate. To me that's not a bad deal and for now we're happy with our purchase.
Old 17 May 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

we own at SSR, only a small contract, enough for 10 days every other year but have never stayed at the resort, last year we had 1 week at AKV kidani, it is funny, we were working out the discounts with our DVC card and thought, this isnt a bad buy

I spent ages researching DVC, then couldnt afford it, so stumbled across MVC ( Marriott ) and researched that ( sorry Hal ) and got a week for nothing money, never used it till last year ( when we did, it was WOW, great unit and resort )

what killed it for us is the free DDP, now i know people say " it will not last forever ", though its dragging on a little, then last year we stayed on our DVC and MVC and decided to try a few places off-site, we ate at some cracking places and really enjoyed it

so now we are looking at booking for next year, do we bank our DVC points and sell our 1 week at MVC and stay onsite with the free dining ? ? or have 2 weeks at MVC and mid-break a few days at the poly or GF ( yes a waste of them few nights at the MVC, but its paid for, so no drama )
so i asked the family, the answer surprised me, stay in the marriott ( and a few nights onsite ) and eat off-site, the youngest said " can we still do chef mickey though "
the thought of eating off-site at some of the places really did win the day

so i guess now looking at it, staying in DVC AND NOT EATING ONSITE is a winner, so maybe the free dining doesnt make much difference now to us
Old 17 May 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Whilst i would not buy into the DVC out of personal choice, if I did, I would make absolutely sure I understood all the costs, fees and potential for downsides before I did.

I never forget that Disney are a business, out to make me spend my money so they can increase their bottom line, and all the time I enjoy myself whilst they do that, then fine.

Disney332
Old 17 May 17, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

What I cannot understand is OP was saying in August 2015 it was the best thing they ever bought, and in Summer 2016 how great SSR was. Why the about face so quickly? Was it because when sold they lost money?
I did 8 months research. I stayed on site cash and crunched the numbers every which way. I did detailed research on 7 month booking availability for 1 beds at the time we travel (very good indeed), and everything overwhelmingly pointed to a Saratoga Resale as I know in late August I can get anywhere in a 1 bed. I also very much liked SSR, love DS and certainly wouldn't mind staying there. I then picked a contract up in Jan for $75 a point fully loaded with 2016 points banked. I couldn't use the 2016 points so rented them out, bringing the cost to 64 a point. £8.5k total outlay.
I know I'll be stopping 10 nights in a 1 bed next August- 3 in Vero and 7 in Kidani. That would cost me cash something like £5000. I only spent 8.5k on the whole thing. In 2020 (I bought enough points for 7-10 nights in a 1 bed every other year) I'll probably stop in BLT, Beach Club or GF. Yes 1k in dues for those 2 years but I'll save another 4k plus, so we are getting very close to break even. Don't want to go? I'd rent at 1,200 pa clear profit.
Yes there are 'free' Dining Plans and I did get an excellent OKW cash deal in 2016, but pricing it up now, it's a couple thousand more for 2018. Yes if I paid for DDP I would lose a little of my savings, but what we eat, paying cash is cheaper for us and I'll do a few more quick service.
In top of all this, I have 37 years left. Strongly suspect even if I just stripped the contract and sold it now, I'd get back what I paid including costs (including the tax person to claim back the tax at $500) as it would probably go for $75 given listings are now in $80s a point.
If I'd been silly enough to buy SSR direct at current price of 145 a point, it wouldn't be the same story.
So having researched and bought appropriately, I am really struggling to see how DVC for me is not worth it. It's actually an amazing deal even though I bought with crap exchange rate.
Old 17 May 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I just stayed at SSR and have to say I loved it. Loved the strolling to DS and thought the resort was lovely. I'm considering a resale even though I'm on my own. I wouldn't be bothered about DDP - had it with this stay and really wasn't impressed. The only thing I'm a bit annoyed about is that Disney seem to be cracking down on any perks for resale buyers.
@YorkshireT how did you research availability at the 7 months stage as I'd like to do that before I decide whether or not to take the plunge?
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
The only thing I'm a bit annoyed about is that Disney seem to be cracking down on any perks for resale buyers.
If you are not willing to pay full whack, why should you get perks?