Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jul 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
or even if you did you can click on no? It's like are you coming in and plan to be terrorist question. Why is anyone going to say yes?
I would guess you would say yes now because it IS compulsory to disclose it. If they were to do random checks then I don't think they would take kindly to finding out you had lied about it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I would guess you would say yes now because it IS compulsory to disclose it. If they were to do random checks then I don't think they would take kindly to finding out you had lied about it.
Linda

Being found out that you've lied on an ESTA application basically guarantees that the nearest you'd get to the USA is watching "Friends" on TV.

Mick
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Mobile

How would they find out though? I wouldn't use my full real name on social media anyway and they would be private accounts?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

So no box for sundry other social media e.g. the Dibb?
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

How would they find out though? I wouldn't use my full real name on social media anyway and they would be private accounts?
I think they would be able to find out anything they wanted no matter whether your account was private or not. When it was optional, I never put down my FB details, but will now it's compulsory.
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
The reason for all the "new" questions is that they are gathering data to ensure the ongoing protection of the USA borders.

Why would they want to know Joan's dad's name who died in 1966 and they can't possibly access any database to check?

Why do they ask where Joan last worked when she retired in 2006 when again they have no way of checking?

Mick
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post

The official esta website still gives the impression it’s optional
esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq

Look under completing application and then questions added 2016 it says

What additional data elements were added to the ESTA application in December 2016?

DHS added the following optional question to ESTA and to Form I-94W:

* "Please enter information associated with your online presence - Provider/Platform- Social media identifier."

The question is marked as "optional" on the revised ESTA application. If an applicant does not answer the question or simply does not hold a social media account, the ESTA application can still be submitted without a negative interpretation or inference. No ESTA application is guaranteed approval, and an application can be denied for a variety of reasons.

Edited at 01:44 PM.
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
So no box for sundry other social media e.g. the Dibb?
Not on 22 May anyway

Mick
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
So I have personal social media accounts and also run 2 others for a band and a dance troupe. I presume they only want the personal one, but I can equally post just as easily on the other 2. Waste of time really
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I think they would be able to find out anything they wanted no matter whether your account was private or not. When it was optional, I never put down my FB details, but will now it's compulsory.
Well hopefully they'll be able to find out my Twitter and Instagram log ins and let me know , I joined both yonks ago and never use them, haven't a clue what my name/sign ins are , not even sure I'd get my Facebook one right
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List