Notices

Old 15 Feb 16, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by letty View Post
We found the food to be amazing and so so cheap compared to here. Don't be afraid to try anything!.
And you must try a foot massage….ours lasted about an hour for about £4 each!
We went 4 times ,even the kids loved it.
Hi

Where did you go?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a foot massage - its now on the list!

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie1981
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your plans and all about thailand😃

HOLIDAY INN 2007
GRANDE VILLAS LBV 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019
WINDSOR HILLS 2018
ROSEN INN POINTE MARCH, OCT 2023
minnie1981 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie1981 View Post
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your plans and all about thailand😃
Thank you.

I have lots of windows open right now for restaurants and things to do! And I seem to have developed an obsession with reading the Trip Advisor reviews every day - not that I'm worried I just want to see what people are saying

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Well we are now 56 days out - so thats 8 weeks to go!
(and less than 8 to the marathon! )

We have access to a "Travel Butler" through Flight Centre - they can help with booking restaurants/info on places to go etc.

So I e-mailed them on Friday and they have sent through 3 great travel guides for Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Thailand in general.
(I'll keep them forever so if anyone ever wants a copy I can gladly email them over ).

So tonight is a bit of reading and research - I should be at my golf lesson on a Tuesday but I just don't feel like it tonight

The marathon training is going reasonably well although I have major problems with my right leg/knee. So I have bought a new pair of trainers, reduced my mileage for a week or 2 and am having an hour of physio a week to keep me going

The weight is slowly moving in the right direction - i have seen this jumpsuit in Miss Selfridge that I want to buy to wear to the hotel bar on the saturday night - yes I know that detail of planning is a bit sad.

The 12 was a bit tight but I am determined NOT to buy the 14 so the 12 WILL fit by the time I'm ready to get my holiday clothes in a few weeks!

The motivation seems to be working

Katie x

Edited at 07:53 PM.
Old 2 Mar 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Hello Katie

Sorry, I haven't been checking along - I lost the thread and ended up having to search through for it - I must bookmark.

So, lots have happened on the planning front (you are sooo like me lol - we don't go until December and I have a spreadsheet already - how sad!).

Glad you got the Club level thing sorted out - if it's something you felt you were getting, then it's best to sort it out and you'll feel better it's done.

Sorry to hear your knee is playing up - hope the physio helps. Was going to say, as I'm sure you'll already know, that sometimes running doesn't move much weight - it does in terms of 'firming up' but I found I never really actually lost much weight on the scales. I gave up after about 7/8 months as I prefer gym classes! I might pick running back up when the weather improves - we'll see.

DH and I had a full thai massage once in Bangkok (fully clothed type where they throw you around). We both came out feeling 'on top of the world' - felt very relaxed, loose and warm (!). Best massage I've ever had but I couldn't honestly take you to the place! There are lots though. Khao Lak is meant to be amazing for on beach massages - definitely going to be taking advantage of that!

I'm umming over whether to upgrade our room to a pool room - it's another £600 though and as you have found out, Christmas isn't exactly a cheap time to go anyway, so I just don't know. The tours we want to do and our Christmas Eve Gala meal at the hotel come to around £1,000 then as we are B&B we'll need food and drink fund too - banking on about £1,400 which is £100 per day - should be way more than we need in Khao Lak, especially as we are hoping to do about 5 tours which includes lunch or evening meal so that cost is taken into account. I certainly don't want to feel like we are scrimping!

I think the thing about the pool room is basically because I don't want to be fighting over sun beds which I've read can be a nightmare depending on time of year (yep, Christmas being one of the worst!). If you have a pool room you get a nice double lounger on your terrace so you don't need to worry and of course, I think the girls will love it! Arghhhhhh

Funnily enough, I emailed our hotel for quotes for the stay, and recently for upgrade price to pool room and they were both way more expensive than our tour operator. I would have thought it would be cheaper direct!

Anyway, enough about my plans! I LOVE that jumpsuit - really pretty and sophisticated! I am sure the 12 will look great.

Have you been buying suntan lotion or mozzie repellent yet? I'm really concerned about the latter in particular as I get a horrible reaction to bites!

Remind me, did you book a stay at Khao Sok national park in a treehouse or anything? You will love the floating markets in Bangkok - DH wanted to go there with the girls just to do that lol! But when I looked at flight prices for the 4 of us, then overnight accom etc, on top of our Khao Lak bit, it was just too much. We are looking forward to going to the market in Bang Niang though!

Well, I hope the planning is still going well - I'll try and keep up a bit better!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi

Where did you go?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a foot massage - its now on the list!

Katie x
We stayed just outside Pattaya ( 3 weeks in a gorgeous villa).Our friend has lived in Thailand for 10 years so he picked us up everyday and showed us round the area….It meant we saw so much of the countryside and very little of the tacky tourist areas. Pattaya has a seedy image but as we had our 2 boys with us we just avoided those areas and saw more of the fabulous side that Thailand has to offer. Will be pleased to read your trip report as we are hoping to head back to Thailand next year ( also to Singapore as we have friends who live there too)

Hooe ypur knee is on the mend and training is going well.

Edited at 06:03 PM.
letty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 16, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Sorry, I haven't been checking along - I lost the thread and ended up having to search through for it - I must bookmark.

So, lots have happened on the planning front (you are sooo like me lol - we don't go until December and I have a spreadsheet already - how sad!).

Never let anyone tell you a spreadsheet is a bad thing! DH makes lists of things - different things to me - him money - me - holidays - but he loves a spreadsheet!

Glad you got the Club level thing sorted out - if it's something you felt you were getting, then it's best to sort it out and you'll feel better it's done.

I agree - and in the reviews lots of people have said they'd been upgraded but I dont want to take that chance.

Sorry to hear your knee is playing up - hope the physio helps. Was going to say, as I'm sure you'll already know, that sometimes running doesn't move much weight - it does in terms of 'firming up' but I found I never really actually lost much weight on the scales. I gave up after about 7/8 months as I prefer gym classes! I might pick running back up when the weather improves - we'll see.

I did London about 8 years ago and didnt lose a lb. Its more about what you eat rather than your training - i think the split is something like 70%food/30% training. I am being much better and not "treating" myself to a big bowl of pasta after a long run!

DH and I had a full thai massage once in Bangkok (fully clothed type where they throw you around). We both came out feeling 'on top of the world' - felt very relaxed, loose and warm (!). Best massage I've ever had but I couldn't honestly take you to the place! There are lots though. Khao Lak is meant to be amazing for on beach massages - definitely going to be taking advantage of that!

Im definately going to need one after 26 miles and then 15hrs on a plane

I'm umming over whether to upgrade our room to a pool room - it's another £600 though and as you have found out, Christmas isn't exactly a cheap time to go anyway, so I just don't know. The tours we want to do and our Christmas Eve Gala meal at the hotel come to around £1,000 then as we are B&B we'll need food and drink fund too - banking on about £1,400 which is £100 per day - should be way more than we need in Khao Lak, especially as we are hoping to do about 5 tours which includes lunch or evening meal so that cost is taken into account. I certainly don't want to feel like we are scrimping!

I think the thing about the pool room is basically because I don't want to be fighting over sun beds which I've read can be a nightmare depending on time of year (yep, Christmas being one of the worst!). If you have a pool room you get a nice double lounger on your terrace so you don't need to worry and of course, I think the girls will love it! Arghhhhhh

Funnily enough, I emailed our hotel for quotes for the stay, and recently for upgrade price to pool room and they were both way more expensive than our tour operator. I would have thought it would be cheaper direct!

How many nights are you at our hotel - what woud it work out per night? Given its likely to be super busy it could be money very well spent - albeit quite a bit of money I think id get it booked sooner rather than later once id decided to go for it as those type of rooms are likely to be popular to avoid the sunbed scrum!

Anyway, enough about my plans! I love hearing about other peoples plans so update away! I LOVE that jumpsuit - really pretty and sophisticated! I am sure the 12 will look great. Thank you

Have you been buying suntan lotion or mozzie repellent yet? I'm really concerned about the latter in particular as I get a horrible reaction to bites!

We are just starting to look for lotions now - still no good offers on but im keeping my eyes out. In terms of mozzies I get really bad reactions too (ended up at the pharmacy in Anna Maria last time as they were so bad) I dont really like the high% deet stuff - Ive got some Avon Oh so Soft which i'l try out again before we go. Dont forget about the hot spoon trick - place a teaspoon in hot water and then place on the bite 3-4 times - for as long as you can without burning yourself. The heat kills the protein in the bite which is what makes it itch. I found out about this a couple of years ago and it works EVERY time.

Remind me, did you book a stay at Khao Sok national park in a treehouse or anything? You will love the floating markets in Bangkok - DH wanted to go there with the girls just to do that lol! But when I looked at flight prices for the 4 of us, then overnight accom etc, on top of our Khao Lak bit, it was just too much. We are looking forward to going to the market in Bang Niang though!

We have booked a day trip to Eco Elephant Safari in Chiang Mai - we've booked the day with the newly rescued elephants. DH decided that £300+ for 2 hrs with the elephants in Khao Sok was just too much - they whole experience looked fab but we wanted just time with the elephants not really the canoing etc

Well, I hope the planning is still going well - I'll try and keep up a bit better!

At lunchtime today we'll be at 50 days
Planning has taken a bit of a back seat these last 2 weeks - my mum fell an injured her knee resutling in a bone graft and a plate in her knee 5 days in hospital and now as her leg is wrapped up from ankle to hip shes stuck indoors - mostly in bed - for 2 weeks. After that she can put weight on her foot so things should ease up.

Ive also bought a new car and work has been very busy.

We are away at friends this weekend, we've got a weekend in london the following week (our replacement Xmas trip!) - and we're off to Adele then too. Then its EAster, then ive got PAddock Woood 1/2 Marathon, my sisters are up, then London then we go away.

I need another few weeks with nothing to do!

Katie x x

Edited at 09:57 AM.
Old 8 Mar 16, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Originally Posted by letty View Post
We stayed just outside Pattaya ( 3 weeks in a gorgeous villa).Our friend has lived in Thailand for 10 years so he picked us up everyday and showed us round the area….It meant we saw so much of the countryside and very little of the tacky tourist areas. Pattaya has a seedy image but as we had our 2 boys with us we just avoided those areas and saw more of the fabulous side that Thailand has to offer. Will be pleased to read your trip report as we are hoping to head back to Thailand next year ( also to Singapore as we have friends who live there too)

Hooe ypur knee is on the mend and training is going well.
Hi Letti

How lovely to have somewhere to stay and be shown all the lovely local stuff - tourist areas are pretty much the same all over the world arent they
When we stayed in Borneo we spent a lovely morning at the local market.
My parents have been to Singapore - they ended up with the presidential suite in the top hotel as there was a mix up with the booking

Knee is just about holding up - ive reduced my long run for a couple of weeks and am very good at doing my strenthening exercises which are helping. Thank you

Katie x
Old 12 Mar 16, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your Mum Katie - I hope she's on the mend. It's such a worry isn't it. Will she be OK by the time you go away? i.e. getting about a bit etc.

Thanks for the hot spoon tip - I've honestly never heard of it before but I'll try anything to get the swelling and constant ache and itch down. I don't like DEET either, but if it means I won't get bitten then I will use it. I'm sure you are aware that some of Thailand has the day biting mozzies too - so you need to wear repellant during the day as well which is a pain - but better than potentially getting dengue fever!

Love your comment about a good old spreadsheet - woman after my own heart!

Still haven't decided about a pool room - we are there 14 nights and so it's about £11 pppn with there being 4 of us. They have pros but on the flipside, people say they are noisier as people are practically outside your room when in the pool, which is also an issue for privacy as well. But if it means we have our own outdoor space with loungers and instant access to the pool, it may be worth considering...!

Sounds like you have a very busy time before you go away - hope you enjoy Adele!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Well i had a bit of a wobble yesterday about our Khoa Lak hotel - some of the Trip adviser reviews have been a bit "off" lately - although i do generally take them with pinch of salt.

So Im off sick - nasty cold that the office have said they don't want- i was a bit bored yesterday and I emailed the TA to ask if there were any alternative - well there were at an extra £300-£500.:non ono:

Given the spending spree we've just been on (decided not to have a conservatory so we've bought new sofas for the lounge, ordered a new patio and i bought a new (well 6months old) car) and as our holiday is already over budget I decided that we will just stay where we are.

No training for the last week due to this blooming cold and were away in London this weekend - this is the trip we had to postpone at New Year due to DH trapped nerve - and we're off to Adele so I am hoping to be back in training next week. Well i NEED to be as we're down to to only 5 weeks to go

Katie x x