Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile Just booked the wife a trip to NYC in first for Xmas...

Now neither my wife or i have travelled in anything other than premium and that was only once.

But I have been amassing avios and had a 2-4-1 that expired before we could use it as a family.

So as an xmas pressie i have booked my wife and her mum a long weekend in New York flying there and back in first!

I am posting partly cos i need to tell someone this secret. And also to ask anyone who has travelled in first, what are the best seats for 2 people travelling as a pair? The whole seat plan looks quite anti-social lol.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

What a super present!
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Coincidentally I am in the lounge in St Lucia about to head home in BA First. If two of you I'd suggest go for 2 centre seats ie it's 1-2-1. Or alternatively, one on either side of aisle and then you can dine together in the window seat.

Assuming you're departing out of LHR then get there early to make best use of Concorde room as much nicer than the regular 'first' lounge and exclusive to those flying in First class and Uber-frequent Gold Guest List members (regular Gold Cardholders don't get access so it is much quieter). The only other airport with a Concorde lounge happens to be JFK but not as nice.

My best advice is don't hide the fact this is your first time in First. If the cabin crew are made aware they will go extra lengths to make it feel really special. Have a great time
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Coincidentally I am in the lounge in St Lucia about to head home in BA First. If two of you I'd suggest go for 2 centre seats ie it's 1-2-1. Or alternatively, one on either side of aisle and then you can dine together in the window seat.

Assuming you're departing out of LHR then get there early to make best use of Concorde room as much nicer than the regular 'first' lounge and exclusive to those flying in First class and Uber-frequent Gold Guest List members (regular Gold Cardholders don't get access so it is much quieter). The only other airport with a Concorde lounge happens to be JFK but not as nice.

My best advice is don't hide the fact this is your first time in First. If the cabin crew are made aware they will go extra lengths to make it feel really special. Have a great time
Awesome, thanks for this. Yes they will be flying out of lhr and back from jfk. So that is all good. They can try both. Have managed to get them the middle pair in each direction.

As a coincidence - your st.lucia comment made me think of your post yesterday about baredemptionfinder - that might well have been me as i have mentioned it on a few threads recently. Might not have been too. But funny how we may have ended up helping each other out! Got to love thedibb lol. Have a good flight back!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We've been first class a couple of times loved it withbdifferent airlines
And like business the service while amazing was very different
My only tip enjoy enjoy and as we've seen a bit to often in both first and business don't treat the air crew like muck you will have a way better flight if you don't
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Awesome, thanks for this. Yes they will be flying out of lhr and back from jfk. So that is all good. They can try both. Have managed to get them the middle pair in each direction.

As a coincidence - your st.lucia comment made me think of your post yesterday about baredemptionfinder - that might well have been me as i have mentioned it on a few threads recently. Might not have been too. But funny how we may have ended up helping each other out! Got to love thedibb lol. Have a good flight back!
Yes, quite possibly! Will be using it all the time now.

Re-read your post and realise it's a gift rather than you flying. Anyway, am sure they will love it. A big improvement from about a year back is LHR first class check-in now has its own security that takes you straight to the lounges. Although I rarely fly first, I get to use this channel through Exec club status and it's great. I can be in the lounge within 5 mins of being dropped off. I think I'm right in saying that one perk of First is you can pre-book the spa treatments. While they're nothing amazing it may be worth sorting this as if they don't do this until at the airport then they may find there are no slots ahead of gate time. They could also book the cabanas and or just get there at a good time to have the waiter service food in the lounge
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post

We have done first with BA half a dozen times. You definitely need to pre-book a spa treatment the minute the window opens, absolutely no chance on the day.

We usually take seats on the left with one in front of the other, this year we took two middle seats on the way back. I haven’t really felt like it mattered although our flights have been longer and we have wanted to sleep, so maybe for a relatively quick NY flight the middle seats are a good option. I don’t think you need to overthink it though, there isn’t a bad seat. Allow lots of time to enjoy the Concorde Room.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We did it on the way back from Vegas recently.

My DW didn't like it as she felt it was anti-social. We had seats 2 and 3A. (I loved the isolation, but she has to talk to someone non-stop or she turns to stone).

One of the centre-pairs would work well for a couple I think, and that's what I'd do if doing it again.

I did join her for dinner but found it very cramped between the seat and fuselage sitting on the stool. Manageable though (I'm over 6' and fairly broad).
Old 23 Oct 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

What an amazing gift!
Old 23 Oct 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Think I need to show this post to my dh 😉 You will have earnt lots of brownie points let me tell you!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List