Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Unfortunately that's right in the middle of the school holidays - they start at the end of May and end at the end of June. So it might potentially be busier when you're here. I seem to remember that weekends are generally busier on the whole as well!

Public transport options
- MRT, essentially the underground system. Very easy to use although these days I have downloaded a map onto my phone (mainly as there have been a number of stations added over the last few years and I can't remember where they all are now on the lines). As a bonus, the 3G/4G networks work even when underground on the train!
- Buses
- Taxis - generally cheap and affordable compared to most other major cities
- Uber/Grab - similar ride sharing services, although they also allow you to book taxis as well. I don't think I've ever found Uber/Grab that much cheaper than standard taxis though I have friends who feel that they are cheaper on the whole.
- Walk - a number of places downtown are surprisingly walkable and this might sometimes be faster than taking the MRT. Although then you would need to contend with the heat and the occasional sudden thunderstorm...

If taking the MRT/bus options are
- Pay as you go - so buying a new ticket each time. Which can be cumbersome as this might involve queuing at the ticket machines each time. I think these tickets come with a $1 refundable deposit which means you have to queue again at the ticket machine to get the refund after.
- EZ link card - essentially Oyster card. I think this might involve a nonrefundable deposit of a couple of dollars, but fares are cheaper with this compared to buying a new ticket each time.
(I may be wrong on these as I just keep topping up the EZ link cards I have...)

Google maps works pretty well in Singapore on the whole. I find myself using it in many parts of Singapore that I'm unfamiliar with, or if I'm trying to figure out which stop to get off at on a bus...

Looking at Copthorne King's on a map it looks like unfortunately it is equally far from several nearby MRT stations (Tiong Bahru, Outram Park, Chinatown, Clarke Quay). Google maps tells me it's about a 15 minute walk to Chinatown MRT. Which is definitely doable, but you might find buses/taxis to be more convenient if it's really really hot or raining. (Or, another option is to take a bus to the MRT station then transfer.)
Sky - another due to visit Singapore (in 7 weeks). The thing that I am beginning to get worried about is how I will cope with the humidity. I am Scottish and I think it's hot when it's 15 degrees outside!

Have you any helpful hints on how to cope? We will be there for six days.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Thank you!
We're very excited!
If you can please let me know about the cruise as well! For some reason I have yet to venture on a cruise despite living somewhere that has multiple cruise departures. Considering doing one at some point but not sure which to do (though may be tempted by the prospect of another Disney trip instead)...

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Sky - another due to visit Singapore (in 7 weeks). The thing that I am beginning to get worried about is how I will cope with the humidity. I am Scottish and I think it's hot when it's 15 degrees outside!

Have you any helpful hints on how to cope? We will be there for six days.
Wow lots of Dibbers visiting Singapore!

It definitely gets hot in the afternoon. The mornings and evenings are pleasant mostly. It's very similar to Florida in the summer, so if you can survive that then you can definitely survive the Singapore weather.

The upside about Singapore is that there are sheltered walkways in many places - great for sheltering from rain and sun. There are also a number of places that are linked indoors, e.g. the Orchard Road area and the City Hall area shopping centres all have massive underground air conditioned linkways linking multiple shopping centres together and to the MRT stations and also to places like the Esplanade theatre. They even made one of those linkways into a shopping centre by itself (Citylink Mall).

Then there are the indoor attractions. Gardens by the Bay has the two domes which are both air conditioned (though you have to walk through the outdoor gardens to get to the domes). Almost anything that is indoors and a tourist attraction will have air conditioning.

Unfortunately places like Universal Studios and the Zoo are outdoor attractions so it will be hot! There are however some adaptations that they have made, e.g. Universal Studios has areas that are under a shelter and apparently has some cooling system in place so that it feels less hot than it actually is. The Zoo has plenty of greenery and leafy shelter so that also helps.

Might be worth bringing lots of clothes to change into if you think you might sweat a lot (I do this for WDW). Also things I've heard of to beat the heat but I have never personally tried include cooling towels and mist fans. (To be honest I only know about these things from visiting WDW, have never felt the need to use them here, but I also spend the majority of the hot afternoons indoors...) Oh, and bring an umbrella in case of sudden rainstorms!

Hope this helps!
Old 19 Mar 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

If you can please let me know about the cruise as well! For some reason I have yet to venture on a cruise despite living somewhere that has multiple cruise departures. Considering doing one at some point but not sure which to do (though may be tempted by the prospect of another Disney trip instead)...

Wow lots of Dibbers visiting Singapore!

It definitely gets hot in the afternoon. The mornings and evenings are pleasant mostly. It's very similar to Florida in the summer, so if you can survive that then you can definitely survive the Singapore weather.

The upside about Singapore is that there are sheltered walkways in many places - great for sheltering from rain and sun. There are also a number of places that are linked indoors, e.g. the Orchard Road area and the City Hall area shopping centres all have massive underground air conditioned linkways linking multiple shopping centres together and to the MRT stations and also to places like the Esplanade theatre. They even made one of those linkways into a shopping centre by itself (Citylink Mall).

Then there are the indoor attractions. Gardens by the Bay has the two domes which are both air conditioned (though you have to walk through the outdoor gardens to get to the domes). Almost anything that is indoors and a tourist attraction will have air conditioning.

Unfortunately places like Universal Studios and the Zoo are outdoor attractions so it will be hot! There are however some adaptations that they have made, e.g. Universal Studios has areas that are under a shelter and apparently has some cooling system in place so that it feels less hot than it actually is. The Zoo has plenty of greenery and leafy shelter so that also helps.

Might be worth bringing lots of clothes to change into if you think you might sweat a lot (I do this for WDW). Also things I've heard of to beat the heat but I have never personally tried include cooling towels and mist fans. (To be honest I only know about these things from visiting WDW, have never felt the need to use them here, but I also spend the majority of the hot afternoons indoors...) Oh, and bring an umbrella in case of sudden rainstorms!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the quick response. We are staying at the Fairmont which I know is linked to shopping and the MTR station so that will be good.

I am planning to take some quick drying clothes (Rohan) etc. We are used to trecking about all day and maybe that's something we will have to alter and have a break in the afternoon and go out at night.

At the moment I am moaning about the cold - no doubt I will moan about the heat when there LOL.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Of course!
It's our first trip to/cruise from that part of the world, sailing to Thailand 2 places in India, Oman and Dubai with Royal Caribbean, we've got a balcony cabin for the views - can't wait!
You sure have the opportunity on your doorstep to jump on a cruise or two from where you are - and to some pretty amazing places too!
Thanks again for the info!

Thanks for the quick response. We are staying at the Fairmont which I know is linked to shopping and the MTR station so that will be good.

I am planning to take some quick drying clothes (Rohan) etc. We are used to trecking about all day and maybe that's something we will have to alter and have a break in the afternoon and go ot at night.

At the moment I am moaning about the cold - no doubt I will moan about the heat when there LOL.
Pumpkin, I'm glad you asked this question We go to Singapore in 2 weeks , eeeek! Also going from Scotland, so like you concerned about the heat and humidity!

I've already decided to take fresh clothes for every day plus extras (as we are cruising as well so no opportunity to do a quick wash!) in case it's all a bit sweaty!

Also stocking up on waterproof mascara and eyeliner, as for hair and humidity I like my hair curly so instead of the more common worry about hair going curly I'm worried mine will flop straight to my head.
So - Lots of scrunchies and hair bobbles packed!

Exciting eh?!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Of course!
It's our first trip to/cruise from that part of the world, sailing to Thailand 2 places in India, Oman and Dubai with Royal Caribbean, we've got a balcony cabin for the views - can't wait!
You sure have the opportunity on your doorstep to jump on a cruise or two from where you are - and to some pretty amazing places too!
Thanks again for the info!

Pumpkin, I'm glad you asked this question We go to Singapore in 2 weeks , eeeek! Also going from Scotland, so like you concerned about the heat and humidity!

I've already decided to take fresh clothes for every day plus extras (as we are cruising as well so no opportunity to do a quick wash!) in case it's all a bit sweaty!

Also stocking up on waterproof mascara and eyeliner, as for hair and humidity I like my hair curly so instead of the more common worry about hair going curly I'm worried mine will flop straight to my head.
So - Lots of scrunchies and hair bobbles packed!

Exciting eh?!
We are going on to Hong Kong after Singapore and our hotel there has laundry facilities. I think I know what I'll be doing on arrival there!
Old 19 Mar 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow... lots of dibbers off to Singapore, what a helpful thread this is turning out to be... thankyou so much sky13 for all your time taking to give us the excellent information... really really helpful.
Especially the public transport information.
We too are cruising... only 4 nights though as have never cruised before and I was worried I might be trapped on a ship and hate it lol. Even I can manage 4 nights.
We are going with royal Caribbean and cruise to penang then phuket and one day at sea.
Hope everyone has an amazing holiday.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

You are there first Cloverlady - come back here and tell us how you got on!

Enjoy your trip.
Old 19 Mar 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

You are there first Cloverlady - come back here and tell us how you got on!

Enjoy your trip.
Oh I will, Pumpkin!
It looks such an amazing place, I can't wait to go!
We have lots planned - the highlights for us will hopefully be the Gardens By The Bay at night, Raffles Hotel for a Singapore sling, the Cloud Forest and we are meeting some fellow cruisers and going to the sky park at the top of Marina Bay Sands Hotel!

Nursetina, we are calling in at Phuket too on our cruise, have you organised an excursion there?
we are going to Phang Gna Bay (James Bond Island) which looks beautiful, and seeing a temple in a cave, where there are wild monkeys!

Pumpkin, your onward trip to Hong Kong sounds amazing - I'd LOVE to go there one day!

Exciting times for us all!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Sorry to put a damper on things but the Raffles hotel is closed just now. My husband wanted to have a Singapore Sling at Raffles also - looks like you can still get one but it won't be the same experience.

See extract below from hotel website:

Raffles Singapore has commenced on Phase 3 of our three-phase restoration programme on 13 December 2017. The hotel is now fully closed with a planned reopening in the second half of 2018.

The original Singapore Sling experience is now served at a pop-up Long Bar located at 3 Seah Street, next to the Raffles Gift Shop which remains open throughout our restoration.
Old 19 Mar 18, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Sorry to put a damper on things but the Raffles hotel is closed just now. My husband wanted to have a Singapore Sling at Raffles also - looks like you can still get one but it won't be the same experience.

See extract below from hotel website:

Raffles Singapore has commenced on Phase 3 of our three-phase restoration programme on 13 December 2017. The hotel is now fully closed with a planned reopening in the second half of 2018.

The original Singapore Sling experience is now served at a pop-up Long Bar located at 3 Seah Street, next to the Raffles Gift Shop which remains open throughout our restoration.
ahhh booo!
Never mind, at least we know not to bother trying to get there! thanks for the heads up