Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Oct 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Quick question - do people calculate their tip on the total bill including tax or use the pre-tax amount?
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lpd222 View Post
I'm with you on this Shooby Doo.
I tip at least 10% in the UK, I tip 20% in the US. If a server can earn more than me in tips, then great.

I really don't like the attitude that we should tip less because 'they'll earn more than me if I tip the suggested 20%'. Its not a race to the bottom.
Who has said anything about not wanting servers to earn more than themself?

Many people would recognise that different jobs have different valuations depending on the skill level / years of training involved. Accordingly, that is why I think that if a server is earning as much as a highly trained medic because of tips, that tips must be out of control and this is at the expense of the customer.

I also had a rethink since the big tipping thread and will not be taking any notice of suggested %s, I will make my own mind up on value of the service and it will be maximum 15%. It will be $10 for a buffet if I am served drinks and have plates cleared promptly, if I don’t see the server after being seated, I won’t be likely to tip at all.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
rocsta8
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
That’s what I’m considering a flat $10 for buffet.
We take cash now. We write cash on the tip section of the bill and don’t put anything down until they bring us the final copy. Then we leave $10/15/20 dependant on service. No more.This is my 14th trip since 1989 and the price gouging is leaving a sour taste.

Edited at 05:06 AM.
rocsta8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by rocsta8 View Post
Went to Tusker house tonight. Server took our drink order and delivered them 5 mins later. We didn’t see him again until he brought the (not requested by us) bill, just as we were sitting down to dessert. The bill : 2 adults, 2 children was $201 for a distinctly average buffet and a 30sec visit each from 4 characters. The suggested tip was around $34. Madness, we left $10 and even that felt generous. Thankfully we are on the dining plan as it takes the sting out of their ridiculous pricing, $4.50 for a bottle of coke at Hollywood studios yesterday!
At last. Common sense
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

We have 5 kids and will be on the Dining Plan. I reckon our tips on TS could be between 60 and 80 dollars. As it's a party of more than 6 I don't see what we can do ?

It's madness. I don't mind leaving a tip - say 20 to 25 for good service but 60 to 80 dollars.

What do people think ?
Old 16 Oct 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dubgirl45 View Post
We have 5 kids and will be on the Dining Plan. I reckon our tips on TS could be between 60 and 80 dollars. As it's a party of more than 6 I don't see what we can do ?

It's madness. I don't mind leaving a tip - say 20 to 25 for good service but 60 to 80 dollars.

What do people think ?
There's not much you can do TBH. The six in party auto grat is advertised on the menus which are posted outside most restaurants. You would have to approach management and have a possibly difficult conversation if you want to try and get it reduced.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Yeah I have budgeted for it, it just seems huge ! I don't want any hassle or arguments on holiday.
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s ridiculous when servers are earning 50+ to 100k a year in Disney, and many are. This is price gouging on an obscene level, and Disney should put an end to it as it is leaving many customers with a sour taste. Many servers in Disney ( not all but I’ve encountered quite a lot) have an entitlement and almost arrogant attitude. Some are fantastic though and I’m happy to tip them well despite the inflated food prices.
Old 16 Oct 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
There's not much you can do TBH. The six in party auto grat is advertised on the menus which are posted outside most restaurants. You would have to approach management and have a possibly difficult conversation if you want to try and get it reduced.
Tipping is not mandatory however even with the advertised auto 18% for 6 or more.

I am more than happy to have a difficult conversation if the service does not warrant the amount stated.
Old 17 Oct 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
Tipping is not mandatory however even with the advertised auto 18% for 6 or more.

I am more than happy to have a difficult conversation if the service does not warrant the amount stated.

It's not a tip, it's a service charge and you would have to demonstrate you didn't receive adequate service. Which, if that was happening to me, would happen way before the bill arrived.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread